Meal replacement shake suggestions?

Options
I was using orgain protein shake for breakfast but researched that I need to be using a meal replacement shake instead. Does anyone have good recommendations for ones that have worked well? I'm not a fan of slimfast but was thinking more of like an organic or natural one.

Replies

• JaiDessaT
    JaiDessaT Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I use Click protein shake. I love the caramel espresso flavor. I also like Nature's Bounty complete protein & vitamin shake mix. I add a cup of milk & 1 cup water and blend it, then add a handful of ice and blend. It's good and I feel mentally sharp when I have it. My husband loves the N53 lean 1 fat burning meal replacement shake.
  • shaney13
    shaney13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Metagenics Ultra meal is great! I use Ultra Meal rice bc I have food allergies and it is perfect for my diet!
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    So I am not a coach. Feel like I need to preface that lol. But I love the chocolate vegan shakeology. When I dont have that, I love PE science protein powder with extra fruit thrown in, and maybe some flax for some fiber too. A combo I really like is the vanilla flavor with blue berries and pineapple (frozen). Blend with ice and water/almond milk combo...so good!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I make my protein powder into a meal replacement by throwing it in a blender with some rolled oats, frozen greens, and some kind of fat, like nut butter or seeds. I've never found a "meal replacement" shake that kept me full for more than an hour and I've tried Slimfast, Snakeology, Atkins, and one other that I can't remember the brand.
  • mranlett
    mranlett Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Why do you need a meal replacement shake vs a protein shake? Is there a big difference in the nutritional content? Couldn't you fix that with a simple multivitamin and not have to invest in the more expensive shakes?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    mranlett wrote: »
    Why do you need a meal replacement shake vs a protein shake? Is there a big difference in the nutritional content? Couldn't you fix that with a simple multivitamin and not have to invest in the more expensive shakes?

I'm not sure about the OP's reasoning, but a protein shake is pretty much just protein, whereas a meal (in general terms) would have all three macros. As long as the rest of your day is meeting your macro and nutrition requirements it probably doesn't matter. For me personally, if I have just a protein shake for breakfast it doesn't fill me up nearly as much as when I add some fiber and fat.
  • mranlett
    mranlett Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I'm not sure about the OP's reasoning, but a protein shake is pretty much just protein, whereas a meal (in general terms) would have all three macros. As long as the rest of your day is meeting your macro and nutrition requirements it probably doesn't matter. For me personally, if I have just a protein shake for breakfast it doesn't fill me up nearly as much as when I add some fiber and fat.

I use the Quest brand protein shakes b/c they're low carb and I *try* to follow a ketogenic diet program. I've never really looked at anything else...
  • SisepuedeLinda
    SisepuedeLinda Posts: 132 Member
    Options

I read an article this morning that said meal replacements are better if you are skipping the meal completely which I was and that protein shakes are only for pre/post workout or if your meal is lacking protein but that there is a little more nutrition in a replacement than a smoothie. I suppose I could take a multivitamin to help out with getting more nutrients in I didn't think about that. I also read I could potentially add veggies and nut butters and fruit which I hadn't thought about either because I'm a previously habitual fast foodie so all of this is new to me.
  • SisepuedeLinda
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses! I'll be looking into some of the brands mentioned here :smile: any little bit of advice helps as I'm barely on week 3 of my weight loss journey! You guys are a great help
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

I read an article this morning that said meal replacements are better if you are skipping the meal completely which I was and that protein shakes are only for pre/post workout or if your meal is lacking protein but that there is a little more nutrition in a replacement than a smoothie. I suppose I could take a multivitamin to help out with getting more nutrients in I didn't think about that. I also read I could potentially add veggies and nut butters and fruit which I hadn't thought about either because I'm a previously habitual fast foodie so all of this is new to me.

Are you skipping the meal to control weight? If so, why are you having a meal replacement shake instead? Why not just eat the food, then, just perhaps a bit less of it? <confused>
  • SisepuedeLinda
    Options

Are you skipping the meal to control weight? If so, why are you having a meal replacement shake instead? Why not just eat the food, then, just perhaps a bit less of it? <confused>

Yeah I do it to control weight and also on days that I have to be at school at 6 am and in a rush.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Make your own. My favorite shake that I used to make consisted of -

8 oz unsweetened almond milk (35 calories)
    1 scoop Vega protein powder ( 25g protein, 130 calories)
    1 tbsp peanut butter ( 100 calories)
    100 g strawberries (35 calories)
    1 handful spinach (5 calories)
    100 g dry oatmeal (70 calories)

It's 375 calories with over 25 grams of protein and hits your micro nutrients from a fruit and a veggie. And, it tastes like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    NONE.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png