Malnutriton/malnourishment

Options
jlisaflower
jlisaflower Posts: 3 Member
Hi,
.please help.
I'm suffering from gastrointestinal disorders and I'm very close to being put on a feeding tube but i really don't want to be back on those high glucose cornstarch drinks. Do any of you have good healthy recipies for shakes i can make myself, preferably no whey and easy to digest? Need something with 600 -800 calories in i can make three times a day. Preferably no unhealthy ingredients and low carb. Thank you

Replies

• PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think this might be on the wrong section of the forum and you should be asking a registered dietitian that question.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You need to speak to a doctor
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    What did your doctors say? Typically they will suggest supplements or foods to eat and things to avoid.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    This is tough one.

I like to put bananas (1=100 calories) and (1 cup of full fat milk = 160 calories) and go from there. If I really wanted calories I'd also add some olive oil (1 Tbsp = 130 calories)

Your shake could look like this.
    2 bananas = 200 calories
    1 cup 3.25% milk = 160 calories
    2 tbsp. olive oil = 260 calories
    Add strawberries, blueberries, cocoa powder and sugar.

That should do it. Add some ice cream for bonus points.

Sorry...forgot about low carb. But the olive oil still counts.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    This is tough one.

I like to put bananas (1=100 calories) and (1 cup of full fat milk = 160 calories) and go from there. If I really wanted calories I'd also add some olive oil (1 Tbsp = 130 calories)

2 bananas = 200 calories

Peanut butter would be better to add
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    This is tough one.

2 bananas = 200 calories

Peanut butter would be better to add

Yeah, I just didn't think the taste would be awesome enough :open_mouth: , but yeah, peanut butter and chocolate yumminess.
  • jlisaflower
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    I'm under care of many physicians but they don't advise on diet. They wanna put me on a tube feed but it makes me sicker as its full of nasty additives and ingredients and my body reacts to those.
  • TavistockToad
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    I'm under care of many physicians but they don't advise on diet. They wanna put me on a tube feed but it makes me sicker as its full of nasty additives and ingredients and my body reacts to those.

Have you told your doctor you have food intolerances? Or is that your eating disorder talking about 'nasty additives'?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

Many of those "nasty additives" are vitamins and minerals to help keep you from being malnourished. If you have been malnourished for a while then your body is going to have some reactions to getting the things it needs.
  • jlisaflower
    Options
    Im talking about e numbers and things like artificial sugar derived from cornstarch e.g maltodextrin, high fructose glucose syrup, dyes, acids that are processed. Poisons for the body. They do not have natural feeds. It is big pharma. Sugar gives me ulcers, skin leisons and more stomach pain hence why i need to maintain myself in a more natural way. I've asked them for alternatives but they source it from the same company who provide all the feeds.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    People may give you advice on what to eat here but they are not qualified to.

The only good advice so far is that you need to be working with a dietitian.

In the hospitals I have worked in, when need for supplemental feeding (orally, via nasogastric tube, PEG or parental) is identified it is managed by the treating doctors in consultation with the dietician.

Supplemental feeding is designed to give you essential vitamins, minerals and trace elements along with addressing other nutritional deficits

It's there to keep you alive and bridge you across periods where you are unable to meet these needs or obtain your nutrition through diet alone.

Perhaps you could consult directly with the dietitian. They might be able to help tailor a more natural approach.

But also maybe you should take the doctors (and I presume, dietician's) advice, suck it up so to speak and put up with the side effects of treatment which might stop you becoming so malnourished that you die.

I'm just another person on the Internet. By all means consider my advice as dodgy as the rest.

I hope you get well soon.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think you have mis-identified your danger. The ulcers and skin lesions could be from a general lack of nutrients. Hence the medical profession's desire to get you on a feeding tube.

Here's a recipe for a nutritionally complete drink. Notice or does have ingredients you think nasty. But it's necessary.

https://www.completefoods.co/diy/recipes/brets-soylent-oat-rice-complete-low-price
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Im talking about e numbers and things like artificial sugar derived from cornstarch e.g maltodextrin, high fructose glucose syrup, dyes, acids that are processed. Poisons for the body. They do not have natural feeds. It is big pharma. Sugar gives me ulcers, skin leisons and more stomach pain hence why i need to maintain myself in a more natural way. I've asked them for alternatives but they source it from the same company who provide all the feeds.

Have you seen a professional counselor for mental health? The majority of what you are describing fits with orthorexia. Those are not toxic. If they were toxic the hospital would not be giving it to you. This may be part of the reason you have trouble with your weight, you have an eating disorder on top of your medical issues. This is a fatal combination.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Am I missing something. Did OP say she had an eating disorder. I thought she said gastrointestinal issues.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

The OP is in dire need of nutrition, but is not happy with the standard liquid formulation. I worry also if she is trying to avoid carbs with everything else going on. Here she is expressing concern over
    - maltodextrin
    - glucose
    - dyes
    - acids (I am guessing fatty acids, or the building blocks for protein)
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    To clear this up, OP, what are the gastrointestinal disorders you suffer from? There is a whole variety and many of them come with totally different dietary needs and restrictions, as well as symptoms.

I think everybody here is right saying that this is something your doctors and dieticians need to work on with you.
    It is strange to hear that doctors want to put you on a type of feed that would, as you state, make your symptoms worse.

The internet is not the right place for this type of help, but to give any reasonable comment we need to know what is actually cause of your symptoms and what is an effect of it. (Meaning disease leading to malnutrition compared to malnutrition leading to disease.)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Have you sought a second opinion from a different doctor?
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I love this one. I skip the dates and cocoa nibs, and you can substitute any kind of plant milk, like soy or cashew or whatever: http://themuffinmyth.com/2014/07/27/chocolate-black-bean-brownie-smoothie/

If I were you I"d ask the drs for a referral to a dietitian to help you with this. I know most drs are not well-versed in nutrition, but they should be sending you to someone who is.
  • TenderBlender667
    TenderBlender667 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I understand your worries regarding additives and chemicals. The reason why I don't have any recommendations for alternatives is because those "high glucose cornstarch" drinks most likely provide you with all the essential vitamins and amino acids your body needs while a shake you make at home would not.

I'm no medical professional so take my advice with a grain of salt, but have you ever been tested for food allergies/intolerance? If you could identify foods that trigger gastrointestinal symptoms, it would make things easier.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Unless you are totally lactose intolerant / anti-soy, what about Kabrita goat milk toddler formula?

Also, here is a list of "super foods" to try:

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/abcs-of-nutrition/guide-to-superfoods/

BTW, have you been checked for parasites?

My issues started following norovirus / influenza and I have had some success using Bacteril (on Amazon) which I am now supplementing with Flagyl (I got it at the Acquarium store b/c after 2 doctors visits of not getting any better, I decided to cure myself on my own). So far it's working.
    • Cinnamon (Cinnamomum cassia) Bark Oil: Antibiotic, antiseptic, antiviral, tonic, vermifuge
    • Thyme (Thyme satureioides) Flower Oil: Antibiotic, antiseptic, antiviral, tonic, diuretic, vermifuge, and immuno-stimulant
    • Clove (Eugenia acaryophyllus) Flower Bud Oil: As a local irritant it stimulates peristalsis. It is a strong germicide, a powerful antiseptic, a feeble local anaesthetic applied to decayed teeth, and has been used with success as a stimulating expectorant in phthisis and bronchial troubles.
    • Oregano (Oregano compactum) Flower Oil: anti-aging, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-cancer, anti-diabetic, anti-fungal, anti-mutagenic, anti-parasitic and anti-inflammatory properties

If you are going too frequently, have your tried either food grade charcoal or clay?

Ref:
    http://drhuldaclark.curehelp.com/activated-charcoal-100-pure-food-grade-nsf-approved-8-oz-micronized-powder/
    https://www.earthsnaturalclay.com/collections/clay-for-internal-use

Finally, are you an anti-raw milk person?

The reason that I ask is that raw milk is amazing for people with malabsorption issues.
    Ref: https://www.realmilk.com/