Whey protein

Options
dimdn
dimdn Posts: 10 Member
What is your favorite whey protein recipe? I received a free sample today from Fresh Tyme market and have never tried whey protein before. Is it meant to be a meal replacement? Thanks!

Replies

• amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @dimdn Whey protein powder is a good way to boost your protein especially post-workout as it is easily absorbed, it's a great source of amino acids which help with muscle repair
    (I use vegan protein powder btw but it's essentially the same thing - a good source of protein and AA)
    You could use it as a meal replacement, some people do that for lunch... sometimes I do, and I do find it filling

A good recipe is just a simple chocolate shake:
    Ice
    1 C Milk (dairy, soy, almond, rice)
    1scoop protein powder
    2 T cocoa powder
    I use a blender to blend it because sometimes it doesn't blend well when you do it manually
    Also, protein powder most of the time comes out to be a bit frothy - so it will have that "starbucks" kinda frothiness to it. And some brands will have protein powder that is a bit chalky or powdery, it's just how it is sometimes :smile:

Another one is a protein pancake:
    2 C egg white, or maybe just 1.5 C egg white (2 sounds too much)
    1/2 C oats
    2 scoops protein powder
    Blend well and cook like you would a regular pancake
    I haven't tried this recipe yet as I just came across it, but here's the video on how to make it:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=up9hshktXTw

let me know how it tastes if you try it! :smile:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I like to dissolve a half scoop of whey protein powder in a bit of water (make a slurry) then add ice and coffee for a flavored iced coffee. Note about whey protein powder: You have to dissolve it in a cold liquid before adding it to anything hot or it will turn into a clumpy mess.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    My protein powder is only 110 calories. I have it for breakfast and mix it with milk. Making it 200 calories.
    Do not fall for expensive products. Tell us your local stores, and we will tell you less expensive brands. Costco and Sam's club have very good prices.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Isopure is the only brand I use. The whey isolate mixed with a cup of chocolate milk and a cup of coffee makes a great lunch supplement (I don't do breakfast).
  • Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I use Slap Nutrition whey isolate. The only one that doesn't hurt my stomach. No chemicals.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I used to enjoy the Target Market Pantry brand powder - good balance of taste and price. I don't have a Target nearby with grocery any more but I think you can usually find it in the pharmacy area with the protein/meal bars.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    dimdn wrote: »
    What is your favorite whey protein recipe? I received a free sample today from Fresh Tyme market and have never tried whey protein before. Is it meant to be a meal replacement? Thanks!

I just mix with water. No, it's not a meal replacement...it's just a protein supplement to aid in hitting loftier protein targets...it does not have the other nutrition like an actual meal replacement shake would have.

I use ON whey isolate