Would you tell?

Options
quichebradford
quichebradford Posts: 327 Member
Today I heard a rumor about one of my friends at work. The rumor going around is pretty hurtful and it's being spread by someone my friend considers a REALLY close friend. I'm really disturbed by this, not because of what's being said, but because of WHO said it. I feel bad for her because people are literally laughing and snickering when she passes by. Should I tell my friend or just stay out of it and mind my own business???

Replies

• iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    I'd approach the rumor spreader and ask them if they'd like to discuss it with their friend or if they'd like me to.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Since I would want to know, I think I would tell my friend. Doesn't the person deserve to know? Why would it be the wrong thing to do?
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I'd want to know if someone I was close to was talking smack about me. :flowerforyou:

Amazing how some people can't get out of the high school mentality. :explode:
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'd approach the rumor spreader and ask them if they'd like to discuss it with their friend or if they'd like me to.

This is what I would do....and if the jerk doesn't fess up, you should tell the person. Put a stop to the immature BS!
    Seriously. If people have that much time at work maybe they aren't working hard enough! I would be tempted to discuss the matter with my supervisor...it obviously makes you feel uncomfortable, so it is most likely inappropriate for the work place. I hate gossipy *kitten*....not that I never gossip, but not in the malicious rumor spreading let's tell everyone and then we'll all laugh and point as she/he walks by.
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't tell- I like to just stay out office drama though!
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    iD WANT TO KNOW... JUST BE TACTFUL..... (sorry not shouting...stupid caps lock)
  • bakebunny
    bakebunny Posts: 253
    Options
    I'd approach the spreader of the rumors and tell them how hurtful they are being to a person who considers them a friend and give them the option to either stop the rumor or tell their 'friend'. If they choose neither, approach the subject of the rumor and tell them of the rumor, and let them know that someone they believe they are close to is involved. They can choose to believe or not.

I was in a similar situation and the spreader believed what they were saying was truth but didn't really know the person involved whereas I knew enough about the subject to know it was totally false. I went to the subject and related the rumor but I refused to name the rumor spreader. I'm not sure what happened between them, but both parties eventually went off in different directions, literally.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You have to tell! How would you feel if someone said crap about you?
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    You don't happen to work at a middle school, do you? Because it sounds like someone's going out of their way to stir up some junior high drama. I'd confront the big mouth and tell him/her that it's inappropriate and disrespectful (not to mention incredibly immature) to spread rumors. Then I would give them the option to clean up their own mess and correct the wrong doing or else you'll be forced to let the victim of the rumor know about it.
  • mommyoftwins05
    mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I agree with tim
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    Woot woot! Two people agree with me. That almost never happens. *stands, does a little dance, spins, sits back down like nothing happened*
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Since I know where you work and how that place operates, I would say to put your head down and try to stay out of the drama. Unfortunately, that will always go on there because of the dynamics of the employees. This rumor will blow over, as they all do, and will move on to someone else. That being said........remember that I don't know who you're talking about or what's being said, so that might make me give other advice.
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm with Patti on this one Quiche!
  • sweetheart37
    Options
    i agree stay outta the drama , some how others get pulled into it and its not worth it