Best workout for stationary bike

Options
Long story short I have a bum foot and the only cardio I can do without pain is the stationary bike.
Can anyone help with a good exercise plan for the bike? I've been using it everyday, 30 minutes a day low impact so far.
Thank you!

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to improve your fitness (what aspect of it), to lose weight...?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Goal?

You want to be a sprinter?
    You want to build endurance?
    You want to maximise calorie burns?
    You want to discover your FTP?
  • sweetgeeek
    sweetgeeek Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to improve your fitness (what aspect of it), to lose weight...?

I would like to lose weight and I'd like to ultimately use my bike everyday without feeling like I'm going to collapse. Those are my 2 main goals.

• sweetgeeek
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Goal?

Endurance on my bike and calorie burn is my goal for sure.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    More time in the saddle will improve endurance, and is also the formula for bigger calorie burns. Vary the intensity but don't go all out, at least very often.
  • pwhitechurch
    pwhitechurch Posts: 72 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I do intervals on the bike, level 2 or 3 to start (or higher). It strenthens my knee. However, it varies in intensity according to the type of stationary bike.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Usually, I do a 20 min or 30 min work out on those. I increase my level every 2 minutes until I reach 10, and then go back down to 1. Found the idea on pinterest somewhere.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Goal?

Endurance on my bike and calorie burn is my goal for sure.

Long slow rides are the primary way to train for endurance.
    But 30 minutes really is just the start!

But would suggest alternating (or at least mixing in...) higher intensity work too. Alternate an easy day with a harder day for example.
    For maximum calorie burn go as hard as you can for the whole duration of your time available.

Intervals are very beneficial too - also tend to be less dull. I do intervals between 2 and 10 minutes.
    One routine you probably can't do (shouldn't do) until your foot is better is...
    3 minutes brisk seated cycling, 3 minutes standing cycling, turn up the resistance for 3 minutes seated climb, turn up again for 3 minutes standing climb. And repeat the sequence.

Talking of dull, outside cycling is far more rewarding and enjoyable.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely suggest intervals. Cardio bores the crap out of me when I'm not either doing intervals or training for something specific.
  • sweetgeeek
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! Very helpful can't wait to work on this tomorrow. :)
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't know your spin experience so I will recommend the basics. I use a road bike mounted on a fluid resistance trainer. I have a cyclo-computer mounted on the bike. I use a specific bike training video. OK, so a fluid resistance trainer is about the quietest type of trainer. The cyclo-computer will keep me honest. What I mean is I do not have to guess at my exertion. I can see how fast and how far in a certain amount of time. Then computer helps me to see my improvements (if any). I use an HR monitor as well. As for the video, I have tried those music-concert videos but I have found that a bike specific training dvd is more helpful. A bike specific video training series will push you as well as help you. It can give you confidence to also get out on the road and ride with us road cyclists.
    The basics, you need to ride a minimum of 30 mins per workout. Beginner spin classes run about 40 minutes.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you don't have to exercise. It's just eating less calories than your body consumes every day. You will lose weight
    As far as a good bike workout my first recommendation is if you hurt your foot did you see your doctor and if you didn't you need to see him. You could wind up doing some serious damage.

Once you get the okay from your doctor it's a matter of mixing it up. Warm up for 5 or 10 minutes then do a series of Sprints go all out for one minute rest for 30 seconds keep on doing that there are so many variations of what you can do the best bet is just do a Google search
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Please download the Peloton app for your phone! It has instructor guided spin classes that you can follow at home. All that energy and music... You can follow both live and recorded classes. It's Soulcycle without that ridiculous price tag. That's all your need for a structured and motivating at-home stationary bike workout! :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,869 Member
    Options
    When I ride my trainer, I do "commercial intervals". I watch a TV show ... while the show is on, I ride at a moderate pace ... when the commercials come on, I ride as hard as I can for the duration of the commercials. :)
  • sweetgeeek
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    When I ride my trainer, I do "commercial intervals". I watch a TV show ... while the show is on, I ride at a moderate pace ... when the commercials come on, I ride as hard as I can for the duration of the commercials. :)

I loooove this idea!
  • sweetgeeek
    Options
    mengqiz86 wrote: »
    Please download the Peloton app for your phone! It has instructor guided spin classes that you can follow at home. All that energy and music... You can follow both live and recorded classes. It's Soulcycle without that ridiculous price tag. That's all your need for a structured and motivating at-home stationary bike workout! :)

I'll give it a shot sounds fun!
  • MikeEsko
    MikeEsko Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hiit. There are tones of virtual work outs on youtube that are actual people riding bikes with go cams. I TEND TO put my bike in front of the tv and move my body the way i would on that ride
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    The one YOU can do. Doesn't matter if it's the "best" workout if you can't do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I don't ride a stationary bike, but I ride a bike and a trike, and I find that stamina increases really quickly if you're consistent. You'll be amazed how quickly. Just start with what you can do now and keep increasing it.