How do you get back on track?

Options
Does anybody have any advice for getting back on track before a bad day of eating turns into a bad week? I find myself in the same cycle... eating right for two or three weeks then falling off the wagon and being insatiable for a week. I'll drink tons of water to try to fight it off, but when I fall off track it's like a wire has been switched on in my brain, and I can't stop thinking about food. I feel out of control. What's worse is that even if I mentally want to eat healthy the next day, I'm so hungry because my body's been used to eating large amounts of food. Anybody else have any advice to get back on track after falling off the wagon? Tomorrow's a new day.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about eating "right", because there really is no right way. Focus on nutrient dense foods, but don't deprive yourself if you want a treat. For me, overrestriction of foods leads to me wanting the foods I've cut out even more.
  • melissajkxoxo
    melissajkxoxo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Not sure what really keeps me on track. I know sometimes I might feel hungrier after a few extra cal days but I'm usually pretty good at getting back on track (I usually eat up around my maintenance cals on Saturday or Sunday and want to get back to deficit immediately so I don't turn it into a week of that).

I think that this weight loss is just really important to me right now and knowing that each day I don't stick to this is just making it a longer process than it needs to be.
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    What kind of calorie deficit are you eating at? Perhaps try starting from 'maintenance' for a week or two, then start dropping by 100-150 cal a week until you find the point that works for you? Make sure that you're making some room in your diet for the foods you love on occasion (maybe in lower quantities) so you can plan for them without having to binge.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Plan your next day's meals prior to going to sleep. When you wake, follow it immediately.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    This happens to me more and more as i get closer to goal. Now when I have a craving, I just eat whatever is is and Press on. I figure my body is trying to tell me something.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I always tackled this by getting an intense workout in the next day. Not to burn it all off but because it seemed to reset the hunger and presumably dealt with the excess sugar. It always worked and got me back on track right away. It is like pressing a reset button.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Try doing two weeks on and 7 days at maintenance repeat then lessen the maintenance time by a day until you feel comfortable. Make changes slowly.

What about increasing gym time so you can eat a little higher calorie count? Are you being too restrictive?

Have you taken a look at your food logs to see if you can find replacements for things you like that are lower in calories so you can eat a little more? For instance, carrots and cucumbers for chips?

Are you getting enough sleep? I always get hungry without good sleep.

Can you see a nutritionist? Check with your insurance plan. I was surprised to find out mine are covered.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options

If I eat a lot more than usual (like at a Chinese buffet), I usually feel bloated the next day and don't want to look at food. You mentioned water. That's a good idea.

Why do you get off track and overeat? Are you eating enough on a regular basis? Is it physical or emotional?

What's your goal or motive for wanting to be healthy? Can you strengthen that? Sign up for a run or a challenge or a class -- put something brand new and positive in your life?

I would make sure I was eating enough healthy fat. For me, avocados, almonds or walnuts, black olives, tasty salad dressing, etc. help eliminate cravings.

I had to cut some trigger foods completely, otherwise I will just eat them all. I make sure I have some food to look forward to eating, though -- fruit does it for me. I also don't keep trigger foods in my house.