Vegetarian options

Options
Hey everyone. I stopped eating meat about 3 weeks ago. I cook good vegetarian food but my rotation is getting a little boring. The main issue is that I TRY to not eat diary and cant have any bread or grain. I feel so limited because a lot of vegetarian meals use these items. Any suggestions on how not to feel bored with this or a good place (not pintrest) to find good recipies without this stuff? Thanks!

Replies

• rdiaz7700
    rdiaz7700 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of great vegetarian cook books on amazon. Another option is to think out of the box. Have you tried exploring vegetarian options from other cultures? Mediterranean, Indian/Asian, Central and South America all have cuisines rich with vegetarian or vegan options.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Instead of breads and grains, start incorporating - beans (all types are delicious!), edamame, potatoes (red, white and sweet ones) , corn and peas.

Match any combination of those with tofu, tempeh, seitan, eggs, soy yogurt, Gardein/Boca/MorningStar products.

Add in a veggie mix and a fat (avocado, hummus, butter, salad dressing, nuts, oil).

And spices!! Mixing up your spices will keep the meals unique. Look for fresh herbs, spice mixes, seasoning packet and condiments. You could eat potatoes, soy chorizo, black beans and guacamole with adobo and salsa, or you could eat potatoes, chickpea burger, kidney beans and avocado with italian seasonings. By making little adjustments, your taste buds will think you have a lot more variety.
  • susanofarrell
    susanofarrell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Overnight blueberry oats! Mix oatmeal, almond milk, walnuts, blueberries and 1 tsp maple syrup. Put in the fridge overnight. Yum!

Hummus with red peppers. I make homemade hummus in the vitamin and put on a corn tortilla served with Coke slices and a sprinkle of cumin. Sub lettuce leaves for tortilla.

Lentils with green curry coconut sauce. Add veggies... for me.., zucchini, onions and peppers.

Ratatouille! More Yum!

Acorn squash and pumpkin soup with allspice or nutmeg. Amazing! Or, use jalapeño to change up the spice.

Of course, black beans and brown rice. I top with white onions marinated in apple cider vinegar. For kick, add garlic and cumin.

Tabouli salad (which is wheat) with tons of mint, parsley, tomatoes and cukes

Good luck!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Your feeling is right - no meat, dairy, grains, means that your food choices ARE limited.

A limited range of food is boring as well as nutritionally unbalanced.

I would investigate the necessity in cutting out several food groups.

What you are left with is fish and other seafood, eggs, oils, nuts, vegetables and fruit, beans and pulses, sugar, honey, syrups.

If you absolutely must stick within these parameters, you have to do a lot of work. You will have to learn how to compose meals without relying on recipes. You will have to get in a good rotation of all the foods you can eat. You may have to eat some unusual combinations, but they should all be acceptable, nutritionally as well as taste-wise. You have to go by your own tastebuds, because a tasty meal (a good recipe) will always be subjective.
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Just an fyi, since someone mentioned it, that seitan is wheat gluten (protein). Many vegans dislike the gluten free trend being mixed with vegan options because vegans need that protein.

I would suggest looking up low carb vegan and see what you get, then add eggs.