Naysayers

Options
Has anyone ever started a lifestyle change / fitness / health journey and you had some people make you feel bad for treating yourself to pizza or cake every time you went out or posted on social media? I know I shouldn't care because I know my body and my calorie intake. I also know for me it's unrealistic to eat healthy 24/7 or completely deprive myself from other foods I may enjoy that are not so healthy (but I eat in moderation) . I'm able to sustain my healthy life style for the most part (going for 2 years now) and lost 15lbs because I gradually changed my eating habits rather than thinking "oh hey I wanna lose weight" then cut off carbs, sugar, fats etc. the next day and continue for a whole month. But everytime I choose to have a dessert or cheat meal there always seems to be someone who rubs it in my face how I'm demolishing my diet :/

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't tell people that I am in calorie deficit. It's none of their business.
  • MikeEsko
    MikeEsko Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    People are cruel. It is almost as if it is a "i know something you dont know" attitude, but instead "you cant eat what i can eat". Drop them like a bad habit.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Why tell us? Why not throw this right back at the people who said "Nay".
  • vanessajlimon
    vanessajlimon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do tell them I know my body and it's proven I've lost weight. Everyones bodies are different meaning we require different diets. I'm 125 at the moment so my workout and eating routine won't be the same as someone who weighs 200lbs
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,110 Member
    Options
    I just say bluntly, "I've already worked it into my calories." And keep eating.

Tends to shut them up because what can they say to that? They can't tell you you haven't because how would they know!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    either laugh it off or tell them to mind their business. either way dont let it bother you they will soon get bored
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    it's funny because one of the things that is commonly said to people who want to lose weight is you know, tell everyone so you're accountable. it's baloney. by their (and your) actions will you know them. just be awesome and eff everything else.

i like the fight club comment! So freaking true!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have not told anyone that I am trying to lose weight. I have gotten zero comments about my food choices.
    If you tell people what you are doing then you invite them to comment positive or negative.

What you can do now is stop sharing or don't let the occasional negative comment bother you.

Realize that people often don't agree on what "healthy" is. Some people think you can only eat boiled chicken or fish, plain broccoli and brown rice. Other people think you need to drink shakes and smoothies. And other people think you can eat whatever you want that fits your calorie goal.
    A healthy diet to me is not a narrow list of foods. It is eating foods that meet your body's nutritional needs. If you are doing that then having dessert or a higher calorie meal is not unhealthy.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I have not told anyone that I am trying to lose weight. I have gotten zero comments about my food choices.
    If you tell people what you are doing then you invite them to comment positive or negative.
    What you can do now is stop sharing or don't let the occasional negative comment bother
    A healthy diet to me is not a narrow list of foods. It is eating foods that meet your body's nutritional needs. If you are doing that then having dessert or a higher calorie meal is not unhealthy.
    "

Another vote for keeping your business to yourself.

• vanessajlimon
    vanessajlimon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you I do know what food meets my needs and I am in the greatest shape I've been. I've learned it doesn't matter whether you keep your business to yourself or not people will always intrude and want to see you fail. It's inevitable. I am human so it will bother me time to time because I know how hard I'm working
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Gee whiz, why do these people appoint themselves the Diet Police? Tell 'em to f@$& off.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately sometimes the best we can do is shut out the negative feedback. I find most of the people who take it upon themselves to criticize our choices are those who are struggling themselves and want to find a way to "catch" others failing because they feed badly about themselves. I empathize, but I don't tolerate it in my social circles and will respond by saying that I am successfully losing by following an eating pattern I can stick to for good, and that I find their comments unhelpful and unnecessary.
  • Nmork21
    Nmork21 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hear it more often then I want to (sometimes even from my wife)! My reply is typically this: "And how much weight have you lost recently due to your food choices? If I'm still losing the weight, then I must be doing something right." I may leave out the first part when talking to my wife...you know.... The couch isn't as comfortable as the bed.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Thank you I do know what food meets my needs and I am in the greatest shape I've been. I've learned it doesn't matter whether you keep your business to yourself or not people will always intrude and want to see you fail. It's inevitable. I am human so it will bother me time to time because I know how hard I'm working

Maybe if you know a person is always negative, wants you to fail reconsider your continued relationship with that person.
    Getting rid of toxic people can be part of getting healthier too.