how long should you be sore?

Options
I'm bringing new things into my workout routine. Jogging, Assisted Dips/Chinups and *ack* planks.

Today I feel like microwaved, high sodium, deep fried death. These exercises look soooo easy, and I'm practically typing with my tongue cause it's the only thing that I can move comfortably.

Is there a time limit until I can walk up stairs again? Or is there something you can do the day after a workout to help you get out of bed?

Replies

• brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Take a day or two off to let your body recover.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    You're not going to like this answer...BUT getting active again will really help with the soreness. Getting those muscles warmed up again will make a big difference. So do something to get your body warm.

Best of luck! :)
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    And make sure you stretch thoroughly after working out!
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    :) I think every body is different. Make sure you drink lots of water to help flush out all that lactic acid build-up, which is a big part of what makes you sore.

Also -- yoga always makes me feel magical when I am sore. It hurts at first, but just some simple easy stretching will help out a lot!

Congrats on becoming hardcore.
  • pixidaisy
    pixidaisy Posts: 17
    Options
    Stretch really good before and after, and as mentioned above take a day rest and then get back to moving again the more you move the faster you will feel better!
  • hsubharas
    hsubharas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. If you need a day or two off, take it but make sure you take a walk or stretch. A day off should not mean doing absolutely nothing. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Keep it up!!
  • lesley12345
    lesley12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My last workout I did, I was sore for a couple days. The best thing to do is eat or drink something high in protein after you workout to repair your muscles and drink a glass of water. The next day take a walk outside or on the treadmill, it's a great way to loosen your muscles after in intense workout.
  • Statari
    Statari Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Warming up properly before a workout and stretching after a workout are very important. They can help alleviate some of the soreness. Foam rolling is also helpful, if you know what that is. Other than that, you'll just have to take some time or do other exercises. Eventually your body will adjust to strength training and workouts will leave you pleasantly sore but not incapacitated.
  • aray379
    aray379 Posts: 131
    Options
    Yoga helps me! It can be painful at first but once your muscles get warm it feels great to stretch them out.
  • sandy729
    sandy729 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! I had a personal training session on Wednesday and i am hurting so much. I was wondering the same thing. I look like a zombie...Everyone keeps telling me to drink lots of water but then that means having to get up and drag myself to the bathroom every 15 mins. It hurts so bad...HELP ME!!! lol
  • sandy729
    sandy729 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! I had a personal training session on Wednesday and i am hurting so much. I was wondering the same thing. I look like a zombie...Everyone keeps telling me to drink lots of water but then that means having to get up and drag myself to the bathroom every 15 mins. It hurts so bad...HELP ME!!! lol
  • iyermanoj
    iyermanoj Posts: 5
    Options
    * Stretch before and after you workout

* put a bag of frozen peas on the areas that typically get sore, legs, shoulders etc, I do 5mts pack on 5 minutes pack off and repeat a total of 10 times or so while watching TV.

* You can also get an ice bag from walmart that you can fill with crushed ice, I like this one better than the bag of peas.
  • millymoozie
    millymoozie Posts: 150
    Options
    You're not going to like this answer...BUT getting active again will really help with the soreness. Getting those muscles warmed up again will make a big difference. So do something to get your body warm.

Best of luck! :)
    i second that ,it feels wrong but it so works ,start off with a walk & then do you workout ,it will suddenly disappear & you will forget about it x
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Darn it, I was really hoping someone would say "drink a Caesar." Alas...

I do stretch before and after, and a couple almonds after, and I am sloooowllly putting on my runners to go for a walk. Just giving it time, maybe the Caesar answer will pop up???
  • sleepygiraffes
    sleepygiraffes Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm currently starting to do really intense workouts every day. Yesterday was Day 2 and I found it really difficult for me because my body had been sore for a few days before I started doing them (I had become a lot more active). I had to stop halfway through my workout because I literally could not get myself back up from the floor after my ab exercise. What I found that helped me out a lot today was warming up with some yoga which helps to stretch your body out and warm you up without giving you that intensity of a normal workout. Then I drank a couple of glasses of water and went on to the intense workout and I felt a lot better.
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Its definitely different for everyone I think... Sometimes I feel like I'm in a perpetual state of soreness arms will be sore than that transfers to the legs etc. I chalk it up to different exercises. Sometimes its best to just get the muscles warm again the next day or two after and that will help- the get going part is a little tough but halfway through the workout its like "am I even sore?"

Though I have been in the pain your in. It hurt to sit down, it hurt to breath, it hurt to even think of being hurt. But try stretching in a warm shower and even after that. Also as someone else mentioned the warm and cold compress.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Today I feel like microwaved, high sodium, deep fried death. These exercises look soooo easy, and I'm practically typing with my tongue cause it's the only thing that I can move comfortably.

Is there a time limit until I can walk up stairs again? Or is there something you can do the day after a workout to help you get out of bed?
    The foam roller will help. Check for YouTube videos.
    Exercise very lightly to try to recover from your injuries.
    Injured muscles require protein for recovery. If you're not at 50/25/25 for protein/carb/fat you might want to switch to that for a few days to help ensure you're getting a high enough level of protein to repair the muscles that you've damaged.

You have injured yourself, so badly that "practically typing with my tongue cause it's the only thing that I can move comfortably." In some job environments, what you've done to your body could become a workman's comp claim.

While you are recovering from your injury, you need to figure out how to change your exercise plan so that you don't injure yourself again.

Stretching before and after exercise may reduce the chances of injury but stretching will not repair muscle fibers that you've torn due to over-exertion.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Long, slow swim. The cool water helps soothe the aches, and the motions of each stroke help stretch the muscles. Also, eat recovery foods after workout, and get plenty of rest.