Spinning!

Options
What do you all think of spinning?
I'm thinking of taking it up but I'm worried my legs will bulk up. Does anyone else do it? What's it like?

:-)

Replies

• thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    It's fantastic cardio! I didn't notice any bulking.... you burn so much fat!
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I tried a spinning class with my bf.. I personally hated it. He loved it and now he goes at last once every 2 weeks.
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I love it. I think you will get stronger legs, My calves are a lot more defined, and I haven't bulked up. When I was doing it regulary, my thighs looked great.... Its a super caloric burn b/c its a form of HIIT.
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I love spinning. I have been going 1-2 times per week for well over a year now. You go through a variety of different things on the bike, sitting, standing, sprinting, hills. Its all to music, and the classes I take are in the dark or low lighting.
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    i have been spinning for over 12 years its one of the BEST cardio there is....i love it....and no your legs will not bulk up....you might need a gel seat for a while....also it is very important to have proper form....to prevent injuries....

good luck and enjoy
  • berniebroyles
    berniebroyles Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I spin once a week and cycle on the weekends, and have been doing so for more than one year. It's a great way to burn calories, and I have not gained a bulky muscle look, actually they have helped me achieve great legs! Try it.
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love spinning - it's a very intense cycling class! Your legs will definitely tone up, but they won't bulk up. I've been taking spinning classes for years and my legs are quite toned.
  • Chel702
    Chel702 Posts: 23
    Options
    I absolutely love spinning!!! GREAT cardio workout & no your legs do not bulk up they get toned though which is always a plus :)
  • lesley12345
    lesley12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I LOVE spinning and actually love it some much I will be teaching it in the fall. Spin is a great cardio workout, but it's also a great strength workout too. You have the ability of turning up the resistance high so that you work the muscles in your legs even harder. It's also one of those workouts where you burn calories even long after you get off the bike!
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE spin class! It is the first time i ever really sweated in class. It's not a bulking class at all; you are really toning and toning. Since it's just your own body weight, and you can adjust your tension as you like, you can really go for it or take it easy depending on how you feel. My instructors use a scale of 1-10 and tell you to put your bike in an 8 (or whatever), but an 8 for me is different than an 8 for you.

Proper form in any cycling is key. Upper body, handlebar, and torso placement all usitize different parts of your body. Also, pedal form is super important, too. Always push with a flat foot. Don't point your toes.

The instructors are really deliberate in what they tell you to do. Don't be the lady in the back riding at the same pace for an hour. There are usually high and lower intensity parts, "climbing hills (slow and steady at a high gear),"being chased by a city bus (quick sprints at a low gear)," and "jumps (coming up out of the saddle)."

Wear a heart rate monitor to see your calorie burn. I also tend to keep adding intensity and have gottne some bad headaches from being at 95% of my max for too long, so now I pace myself better.

Have fun! I'm jealous because I just quit my gym and moved and can't spin anymore. :(
  • spinurbuttoff
    Options
    Spinning is my favorite form of working out! I can't get enough. I haven't bulked up at all. Not only does it burn a lot of calories but I think it's a blast!
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Spinning and I have a love/hate relationship.. I love tha tthe hour goes by so quickly, I get a great workout, I sweat like a pig, and I feel accomplished and stronger... I HATE that the seat hurts my butt haha.
  • demonNIИ
    demonNIИ Posts: 187
    Options
    I've been at about 3 weeks now and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! I found my new favorite cardio... burns a butt load of calories too... your legs will not bulk up. I think they will actually get leaner more defined muscles and sleeker. And I can also feel it in my back muscles a bit too. I love the intensity.
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I've been spinning over 2 years and LOVE it! It's my favorite group cardio... every ride is different, low impact and I get such a great feel good feeling!
  • Tess12513
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE spinning and think it's one of the best workouts ever! You get out of it what you put into it and shouldn't worry about bulking up...just toning and losing a bunch of fat! It's so high energy and the time flies by! Such a great workout especially if your days are stressful...kind of lets everything slip away for an hour or two! Good luck!