Strength training, ect

Options
Completely a beginner here. I do cardio a lot , but I think I need to focus more on strength training/ weight lifting to get the results I need. Problem is I have no idea where to start! Any suggestions?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    There's some great stickied threads (maybe in the gaining weight/bodybuilding section) about various lifting programs... You could start there! :)
  • katereesekr9899
    katereesekr9899 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    There's some great stickied threads (maybe in the gaining weight/bodybuilding section) about various lifting programs... You could start there! :)

Thank you!!
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I would do some research and see what kind of already established program best fits your goals. Starting Strength, Stronglifts, All Pros for Beginners, Bill Starr 5x5, etc. If I could go back in time I would start off learning the big compound lifts first (deadlift, squat, bench press, overhead press, etc) as those are very effective at putting on muscle and making you strong.

Do you plan to join a gym? Already a member at a gym? Want to set up a home gym? I found that having a small gym set up in my basement is much more convenient for me now that I have kids vs having to go to the gym after work, etc. Some people prefer to go to the gym as it's their "me" time and they like having access to a wide variety of equipment. Depends on your goals/needs.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    And, here is the thread @livingleanlivingclean mentioned which includes the programmes @cdahl383 mentioned.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Cheers, h.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I love the New Rules Of Lifting programs. You can get the books used on Amazon. I started with the one for Women and then bought the one for men. The Lean Muscle Diet is also great. Well written, entertaining, and packed with information. It's three workouts a week ranging from about 35 to 55 minutes. I'm 59 years old and fitter than I've ever been. You would need equipment, some free weights and a barbell. I bought a total gym that comes in pretty handy and a squat rack. Craigslist always has lots of used stuff. Seems the machines at the gym don't do much. Good luck!
  • katereesekr9899
    katereesekr9899 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Very helpful