Obsessing about Calories

Options
I know this is bad but I cannot enjoy food anymore. I stress about how many calories are in every bit of food. I can't even try to enjoy something at a party , event , function without thinking about calories in every piece of food. I'm not sure how to stop stressing about it.

Replies

• tasha12004
    tasha12004 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Have you tried pre-logging your food for the day? When I'm drinking my coffee in the morning, I enter everything in my diary that I plan to eat that day. And I fiddle with the portion sizes until everything matches my calories. Then, I just eat that. There is no need to even think about the calories the rest of the day. I know that if I eat what's in my diary, I'll be good. If I have a party to go to, I'll pre-log some drinks. If I'm doing the movies, I'll pre-log the popcorn. Eating lunch with my husband? I just check the nutrition information and menu online and pick something to eat and log it. Whatever the situation is, it will fit if I adjust the rest of my day to accommodate it. Do it and then you're done. You just have to stick with it. I know I'll want a dessert after dinner so I always have one logged. If something at work comes up and I end up eating a cookie that somebody brought in, then I just erase the pre-logged dessert. That gives some flexibility. Simple as that.

I only mention it because it would ease your mind of the numbers the rest of the day since you already know everything will fit. And then you don't have to think about the calories at all. Anyway, that's what helped me.

I actually love this idea. I am going to try this and see if it works. I get so hung up on every bite I put into my mouth and how many calories/macros does it have. Very stressful at times.
  • RastaKujaizPakla
    RastaKujaizPakla Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I fully support the pre-logging idea! It definitely helped me get over being a calorie-obsessed Nazi throughout the day.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    The only times I experience this type of obsession was when I was under eating by a very large amount. This might not be your situation but I would take another look at your goals to make sure you're on the healthy route! Pre logging helps me more during the weekdays since I eat mostly the same things. But still end up going back to adjust the oz/g/ml so usually just log as I go. Good luck!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Maybe mfp isn't a good fit for you. My friend would do that.. And she'd stop eating at a certain number... A low number. It wasn't good. Mfp isn't for everyone.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Maybe try something else that you could focus on.

When I started to lose weight, all I could think about and focus on was the food "how many calories is this, or that etc" and it was ok, but not much fun right? Now I've started lifting weights and I find that I focus more now on how the food I eat fuels my body, it's much more fun. Maybe you could start lifting weights or doing some other workouts that you enjoy and require some good food?
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    The only times I experience this type of obsession was when I was under eating by a very large amount. This might not be your situation but I would take another look at your goals to make sure you're on the healthy route! Pre logging helps me more during the weekdays since I eat mostly the same things. But still end up going back to adjust the oz/g/ml so usually just log as I go. Good luck!

yeah this.

the preloading thing really helps too.

but yeah - when I was starving I would obsess. now that I am more balanced I don't stress anymore.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I call the @HappyCampr1 plan "Plan your eats and eat your plan".
  • kissa714
    kissa714 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I started counting calories around 3 years ago and i was like that too in the beginning. After a while you should get used to it. You'll get a better grasp for how many calories are in different foods and how much to eat and it wont stress you out as much.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I still stress about how many calories are in everything. I'm seriously dreading going camping because I know I will be out of cell range so I won't be able to track stuff.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I still stress about how many calories are in everything. I'm seriously dreading going camping because I know I will be out of cell range so I won't be able to track stuff.

If you are that concerned, then look up the calorie info of everything now. If you know it'll be hot dogs, rice, beans, sandwiches and granola bars, then check the portions, log the info and write down the counts on paper. Then you'll know what a serving is and how many calories are in it. Track it by hand and keep an actual journal of what you're eating.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    There are days where I have to take a deep breath and accept what I cannot control. Then I just make the 'healthiest' choice and try to get my hands on as many veggies and fruit choices as I can. I have a general number in my head and I know that for me, once or twice a week of 'general calories' is okay.
  • CincyFan75
    CincyFan75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can get so up in my head about calculating every calorie that I dread going out because I don't have absolute control over what is going in my body. But then I remember how well I'll progressing and that the world won't end if my calorie count is a little off. I just make smarter choices, leave some food behind or take less from a food table and let it go.

For example, I take a few weekend trips with friends every summer and I knew there would be burgers, dogs, chips, beer, desserts, etc and I didn't count calories the entire weekend. I indulged, but didn't go overboard. I went for a walk every morning. I still enjoyed my craft beers, just not as many as usual, and when I came home I was up a pound or two, but it was water retention from all the sodium. I went back to my regular exercise and food program with no problems and I enjoyed myself.

Don't beat yourself up and make yourself miserable or it will be harder to stick with it. So what if you don't drop weight as fast as you'd like? It's the perseverance that matters and it's a lot harder to do so when your program stresses you out.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
  • JustJeff1977
    JustJeff1977 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring your food?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

What is the plan for your camping trip? If, for instance, you plan to wet a line and eat a fish, pre-log 8 oz of trout and 10 g of butter just to see what it would be. Pre-log a S'more just to see. If you're going to take a case of Lite beer and play in the woods, you'll probably burn off all your alcohol calories anyway. Have fun. Don't stress the calories. You'll get back to your civilizational cocoon in a few days and get back to logging everything and whatever happened on your camping trip will fade away.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I pre-log most stuff I eat. If something changes I have a pretty good idea what fits my goals.
    I don't have to be perfect every day to lose weight.
  • Krystalleigh1982
    Krystalleigh1982 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not all calories are equal! For example 1g of protein is 4calories but 1g of far had 9calories.. so if your struggling to lose while counting calories I would suggest counting macro nutrients instead
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    My friend's husband was watching my kids while his wife and I set up our classrooms (teachers/ school starts next week). When I picked them up, he offered me dinner, and I declined because I did not know the calorie content. He knew it too and said "And don't give me this diet crap and say no." I did not eat the food, and know that people are aware that I'm a little obsessive with calorie counting, but that's o.k. If it's what keeps me from putting back on all the weight I lost, I see that as me taking control of my health and my body. I see it as new knowledge. Of course I think about it. When I stop, I'm afraid I will gain the weight back.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Not all calories are equal! For example 1g of protein is 4calories but 1g of far had 9calories.. so if your struggling to lose while counting calories I would suggest counting macro nutrients instead

What does the amount of calories in a gram of macro have anything to do with not all calories are equal? If you are counting calories you are measuring that. Plus counting macros is technically counting calories :p