Will I lose weight?

Replies

• HayleyA95
    HayleyA95 Posts: 29 Member
    HayleyA95 wrote: »
    I also done a tdee calculator it says maintenance calories 2787 and BMR is 1818 not sure how accurate that is

I would let MFP do the math for you. Go into your dietary profile, enter your statistics and goals, then it will give you a calorie goal before exercise.

My calories goal is 1870 and I'm eaten 1200-1700 calories

Just realize if you start feeling binge-y, that you have those extra calories to eat.

Anything under ~2700 calories is still a deficit for you. Don't freak out if you have a 2000 calorie day and let it derail you.

Thank you! :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    I also done a tdee calculator it says maintenance calories 2787 and BMR is 1818 not sure how accurate that is

I would let MFP do the math for you. Go into your dietary profile, enter your statistics and goals, then it will give you a calorie goal before exercise.

My calories goal is 1870 and I'm eaten 1200-1700 calories

Just realize if you start feeling binge-y, that you have those extra calories to eat.

Anything under ~2700 calories is still a deficit for you. Don't freak out if you have a 2000 calorie day and let it derail you.

Thank you! :)

Good luck! I hope you make your goal. You have some terrific motivation.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Please keep us updated - I would love to hear of your progress!
  • HayleyA95
    Please keep us updated - I would love to hear of your progress!

I will definitely do that! Thanks again!
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    edited August 2017
    Hurray! Only 5 more to go before your appointment! That's awesome!
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    If you spend more calories than you consume, yes, you will lose weight.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Its going well this far. You have been given good advice above. Enjoy what you are doing and keep it sustainable.

If you start to feel hungry allow yourself more, within the mfp daily allocation and your earned exercise calories total. This should protect you from an uncontrollable binge, (not he end of the world, but possibly undermining) were you to be that way inclined and also to protect your muscles, being too drastic in your deficit could take from the muscle you have.

You have strong motivation. All the best.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    You're doing great! Keep weighing and logging, and if you don't feel comfortable eating back all your exercise calories, use half for treats/ weekends (remembering to log them of course!. If you like dance then see if you can find a Zumba class near you. Even more fun IMHO is Clubbercise - dance-based routines in the dark with disco lights (so no-one can really see if you're in time or on the right leg) waving glow-sticks, mostly to 90s club tracks. There are also some Wii Zumba games which burn quite a lot of calories.
  • HayleyA95
    Could anyone help please! I'm not sure if I'm lightly active or active! I walk 1-3 miles most days! I look after a toddler so lots of running around and cleaning! I also do 1 hour of a stationary bike at 5/8 hardness, at an average speed but do pick up a sweat and feel the burn in my legs, I also do an hour of swimming most Sunday Just want to make sure I'm tracking correctly as the different is 400 calories!
  • marthall
    marthall Posts: 108 Member
    @HayleyA95 You are doing great.

I'll just warn you that when you first start loosing weight you short term carb stores get depleted and you loose a lot of water. So you always get a little boost at the start, but it can add back in easily. I say this so that your expectations are that water changes can obscure the underlying weight loss and not to be discouraged if your weight loss stalls or goes up a little. Keep up the calorie deficit and you will loose fat and it will show through.

You can also use this to your advantage just before your Dr appt weight in, just do lots of exercise and/or eat a low amount before your appointment and this should temporarily lower your weight. Keep up the Calorie deficit for the long term though, you will feel so much better if you can keep this going.
  • marthall
    marthall Posts: 108 Member
    @HayleyA95 "I'm not sure if I'm lightly active or active!"

I would say you are active. However my approach is to use the lower activity level, and then add specific exercise into my diary when I do it. That way I can see the results of extra exercise, and if I miss a few days for whatever reason then I'm not fooled into over eating by a higher daily target.

Do be a little cautious on calories burnt via exercise, I personally think some of the estimates are too generous (so I try to ensure I do not eat back all of my exercise calories).
  • HayleyA95
    marthall wrote: »

I would say you are active. However my approach is to use the lower activity level, and then add specific exercise into my diary when I do it. That way I can see the results of extra exercise, and if I miss a few days for whatever reason then I'm not fooled into over eating by a higher daily target.

Do be a little cautious on calories burnt via exercise, I personally think some of the estimates are too generous (so I try to ensure I do not eat back all of my exercise calories).

Thank you I have lost the 7lb that the doctor wanted and I still have a week left so I'm happy about that, I add my exercise and never eat back any of my exercise calories! Just don't want to put active if it means eating more calories then I should!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Thank you I have lost the 7lb that the doctor wanted and I still have a week left so I'm happy about that, I add my exercise and never eat back any of my exercise calories! Just don't want to put active if it means eating more calories then I should!

if you don't want to add exercise cals then set yourself to active and eat all of those cals. under eating is never a good idea. you need to be healthy if you're wanting to have a baby.
  • HayleyA95

if you don't want to add exercise cals then set yourself to active and eat all of those cals. under eating is never a good idea. you need to be healthy if you're wanting to have a baby.

Thank you! That's what I have been doing just wanted to make sure it was accurate :)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Glad you made your deadline! I'm 5'8" too and getting under 197 - from obese to just overweight - made a huge difference in my health. Keep going and you'll get there!

As far as eating back exercise calories, the main thing to go on is how quickly you are losing. If you're losing more than 2 lbs / wk (ignoring the first week which is usually mostly water) you know you can eat a little more. It's difficult to correctly estimate exercise burns, but over time you should get a clearer picture of how it affects you.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    My preference is to set to lightly active and then add "deliberate" exercise - for example, suppose one day its raining and you use the car rather than walk, Or you hurt your knee and don't do the biking. You can always add back the exercise. I've had no problem with the estimates on here, you just need to be honest about the level of the activity - just because you are out of breath doesn't mean you've been walking at 4mph!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Thank you! That's what I have been doing just wanted to make sure it was accurate :)

or better still use scooby.com and get a TDEE calculation to use.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited August 2017
    Edited. Terrible timing and my post turned out to be irrelevant....