Feels like I'm fighting an impossible battle

Options
fi8hter05
fi8hter05 Posts: 13 Member
edited August 2017 in Introduce Yourself
I have been overweight for 11+years now! I had my son 11 years ago and it feels as though I am stuck. I gained 70 pounds during my pregnancy. I've lost very little of it. I keep setting goals like by this birthday or that summer season. Yet here I am 11 years later and feeling very defeated. It is very frustrating to feel helpless over your own body and mind.

Replies

• fi8hter05
    Options
    Thanks RuNa...! I usually hit the gym and eat healthy but lately I've just been in some kind of a funk. I'm praying I snap out of it soon
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Make soon today!

Tell yourself you are going to log your food and stick to your calorie goal today.

We need to give ourselves a mental kick some times.
  • fi8hter05
    Options
    So true!
  • fi8hter05
    Options
    I know I'm my worst enemy....yet I still get defeated
  • motivatekait
    motivatekait Posts: 90 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've been there for sure! Always yo-yoing back and forth between extremely motivated, discouraged, and then "rraarrgh screw diets I'm eating everything". Honestly I can confidently say that what made me snap out of it was to figure out why I'm doing this. Wanting to lose weight just to look good is NOT going to be motivation enough to keep you committed. For me, I decided that I want to prove to myself that I can finally achieve something I've set my mind to. Trust me, you need to give this goal an intrinsic purpose.
    Once you've figured that out, just start. Don't try and be perfect, just do what you can one day at a time. "Not extreme, just consistent". Over time you will build more and more habits and this will become a lifestyle for you. Not every day is going to be a step in the right direction, but the only difference between people who are successful with it and people who aren't is that the successful ones can bounce back quickly after a slip-up. It's important to be patient and forgiving of yourself.
    Good luck!!
  • fi8hter05
    Options
    Thanks so much! That is my biggest problem... I keep picking different reasons "why" I should lose weight. Most seem legitimate, but they never keep me focused... that lazy girl always takes over and tells me to watch tv and have a couple snacks
  • dava0504
    dava0504 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are logging all of your food. Also I find it more helpful if I don't put a time restraint on loss but break it down into little segments. Ex. I want to lose 5 lbs. Then move onto the next 5 or raise it to 10 this time around. Make small goals so you're not discouraged when it takes longer to meet that goal.
    You got this!
  • MarcA1218
    MarcA1218 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I agree. I have been losing weight and then gaining weight for so long it's almost a joke. I've joined competitions and even won a few but then back to gaining and losing. I realized no one goal or special day will make a difference. I changed my mindset to really being healthier and feeling better- I work the calorie goal and got an I watch to track steps and that has helped motivate me to beat some others sharing steps with me. But really I would recommend taking it one day at a time and track your progress- if you slip one day it's ok- just get back up and do it again the next day. I got faith in you- good luck and remember we all fail sometimes- but the ones that get back up and keep moving are the ones that will succeed in the end.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I also gained a lot of weight with my first pregnancy (65 pounds) twelve years ago and stayed overweight for the next 11 years. It took my doctor saying I was prediabetic and needing to go on medication for high cholesterol to get me to take the weight gain seriously (I was up to 193 pounds-I'm 5'6). Once I made the decision to lose the weight (by carefully logging all calories and staying in the deficit MFP set for me), it was "easy". It wasn't at first, but I was amazed at how quickly the weight fell off. Just jump in with both feet, commit to it, and you will never be sorry. It really works!
  • fi8hter05
    Options
    Thanks guys ...all of your words of encouragement really helps to stay focused
  • fi8hter05
    Options
    Jumped rope yesterday while my kids played outside. It's an activity I loved to do as a kid. I forgot how much of a workout it is lol! It was very fun and heart healthy at the same time
  • smileybru8298
    smileybru8298 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I gained too after I had my twins 11 years ago and was already about 20 lbs heavier already. My heaviest was 223. I've lost 40 but got stuck and have gained back. Just started with MFP as tracking helps. Good luck.
  • fi8hter05
    Options
    Good luck to you as well smiley. This app is awesome