Family meals

Options
mercedesfisk
mercedesfisk Posts: 9 Member
Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas/recipes for a family. I have 3 small children and am looking for healthy meals that they will eat too. I want to teach them about eating healthier while they're young. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• enne665
    enne665 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I always find good recipes on skinnytaste.com or emilybites.com...my son's especially like skillet chicken cordon bleu on skinny taste.com
  • stella7x7
    stella7x7 Posts: 2,618 Member
    Options
    Here's a cute snack idea, my kids loved wen they were young. "Ants on a log" celery with peanut butter and raisans.
    Another thing I did and still do. Is put broccoli,spinach,squash or zucchini in my pasta sauce,homemade lasagna even quiches. A way to get those veggies in.
    Also I put apples or raisans in my pancakes.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Most kids like quesadillas.You can use whatever filling you like,cooked leftover meat,veggies & a bit of cheese.Mac & cheese with broccoli added,eggs fixed different ways,chicken sausages with baked beans,baked potato with veggie topping,thick bean soup.Ideas are endless.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    One of mini-me's favorite meals is tortillas with various fillings - I'll put out shredded meat, grated cheese, plain yogurt and various sliced vegetables and condiments, and everyone takes what they like and makes up their own wrap. It's relaxed and lets kids control their own meal while also letting them get interested in different kinds of food at their own pace.

We also do "nibbly" dinners where we just put out bread, crackers, different fruit and veg, cubes of cheese etc. That's been popular since she was a toddler and she still likes it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Tacos or burritos, spaghetti, omelets, scrambled eggs, kielbasa cooked with green beans, grilled chicken fingers with fruit, catfish nuggets with whatever vegetables they like, chicken broccoli & cheese casserole, homemade pizza, stew, soup, beans and cornbread.
  • christinalc89
    christinalc89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Flat bread pizza is a good one for us. We also to Kabobs every Sunday!
  • ccbarr
    ccbarr Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I froze banana slices. Later when I wanted I put them in my bullet processor with a splash or two of almond milk(love the taste)or orange juice and a liberal dose of cinnamon. Blend until the creamy texture of ice cream.good.
    I make my son smoothies with frozen berries,1/2 big container greek vanilla yogurt &2 bananas. Blend in food processor till thick. Pour into glasses and enjoy. Makes about 3 glasses full(I like to serve in glasses).Tasty,satifies sweet tooth and is healthy.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My kids (7 and 4) will eat just about everything we do. I never understood people dumbing down food for kids. If you offer it to them and they're hungry, chances are they'll try it. If I hear another mom say their kid "will only eat chicken nuggets shaped like stars" I'm gonna lose it! :lol:
    Don't cook super spicy or weird. Cook something you know they like along with something new. Swap out white bread for whole wheat. White rice for brown. Fried chicken for grilled or baked. Make lots of veggies and salads. My son will eat just about anything in a salad bowl if he can throw a handful of croutons on top. My 4 year old will eat things I can't stand (cabbage :grimace:)
    I wouldn't overthink it! Pinterest and Allrecipes are your friends!
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Healthy snack: Fresh fruit, sugar free yogurt. Blend and make popsicles.

Healthy pancakes 1 egg, 1/2 banana. Beat with a fork and leave it somewhat clumpy. Don't us blender or make it runny it wont work. Cook on stove on low heat and sprinkle with cinnamon.

Healthy soup Carrot ginger soup

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 onion
    1 small ginger, peeled, grated
    1 clove garlic
    2 pounds carrots
    6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
    Salt and pepper

Chop up all ingredients and put in slow cooker for 8-10 hours.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    My kids (7 and 4) will eat just about everything we do. I never understood people dumbing down food for kids. If you offer it to them and they're hungry, chances are they'll try it. If I hear another mom say their kid "will only eat chicken nuggets shaped like stars" I'm gonna lose it! :lol:
    Don't cook super spicy or weird. Cook something you know they like along with something new. Swap out white bread for whole wheat. White rice for brown. Fried chicken for grilled or baked. Make lots of veggies and salads. My son will eat just about anything in a salad bowl if he can throw a handful of croutons on top. My 4 year old will eat things I can't stand (cabbage :grimace:)
    I wouldn't overthink it! Pinterest and Allrecipes are your friends!

There's truth in this - but for most people it's not quite plain sailing. Our 8-year-old is similarly adaptable, but it's been a long and winding road to get here, with many rough patches and battles. Sometimes you have to meet that battle head on, but other days you just want to put something on the table that will work well for everyone and take the pressure off.