Too fat for fun!

Options
HI all,
I am 61 and recently hit my highest ever weight of 130 kilos (about 286 pounds). I am only 165cms (5'5"), so I'm not overweight - I am FAT, and ashamed of myself. I set August 1 as "D Day" and so far, so good. I've been under the calorie limit I set myself each day, and have done some exercise every day. I would like to get down to about 90 kilos, my doctor says that would be OK for me. I need some motivation, and some tips on pitfalls to avoid.
Lesley Anne Wright

Replies

• Traviesa587
    Traviesa587 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My friend there is not such thing as "to fat to have fun", Little changes on a life style will have big results..but it will take time to see it
  • De51r3e
    De51r3e Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Traviesa587 is absolutely right. Celebrate the small wins. The big ones are close behind them...
  • cindyjob
    cindyjob Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You took a first step so that is what counts. I agree that you are not "too fat to have fun" but being overweight does impact my social life. I find myself tempted to avoid certain friends or events because I don't like how I look or don't want to run in to someone I have not seen in a while.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I know EXACTLY what you mean. I am also at my highest weight EVER. I gained so much weight that I was too ashamed to leave the house (still am). My friends/acquaintances know me as a fairly 'thin' person. After a shoulder injury and subsequent surgery, I was unable to do anything. Walking was even difficult as my gait was off and it hurt my shoulder. I became depressed, binged on Netflix and ate. I gained 30 pounds. Even my coat doesn't fit. So, I'm on this journey with you. I started last week, so I'm a few days ahead of you. I think being senior citizens, our weight loss journcey may be a bit more challenging, but we can do this!!!!. I will be 68 next month.

You asked for tips - well, I'm using a simple Fitbit Alta. It doesn't do heart rate, just steps. Presently I'm just doing steps. Mostly I am getting my steps walking around the house, up and down the stairs, and shopping when required. Sometimes I jog in place. I try to get 5 miles, which for me is about 12,000 steps. If I don't venture out in the neighborhood, I try to log 1000 steps every hour. I follow the MFP recommendations with my Fitbit synced. I eat back most of my exercise calories. Regarding food, I log every morsel I eat.
  • ayanian
    ayanian Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there!hope everybody's doing ok.
    Not me...today I weighted myself ans feeling ashamed of my weight
  • MarcA1218
    MarcA1218 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Never be ashamed of who you are. Don't let others tell you what you should be. Words to live by. I'm trying to lose about 45-50 lbs and noticed this community is great for motivation- anyone feel free to add me as a friend we can all keep each other on track and motivated.
  • JacintaVE2017
    JacintaVE2017 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You have a huge overall goal to achieve. It might be less daunting if you set yourself smaller goals as steps to get to your target. E.g. 5kg at a time.
    Everymorning when you wake up, have a glass of water then go outside for a walk. Start with a walk around the block, and as you feel you are capable, extend the walk to add an extra street or do the block clockwise then anticlockwise. It is an easy way to kickstart your day. Once you get home you can have breakfast and get on with your day.
    Good luck.