is almond milk the best milk?

Options
we have almond milk and its 30 calories for 1 serving and i like that a lot because i can eat my cookie and drink a lot of milk can i drink it instead of 2% milk with cookie and is it better than soy milk?

Replies

• lorriemb
    lorriemb Posts: 39 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I prefer FairLife skim milk--microfiltered and packed with extra protein. I'm not a big milk drinker so I can't advise you about almond milk. If you like it and there isn't added sugar, etc. then I suppose it's ok. However, be aware that is high in carbs.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Somebody here will be able to give you accurate info. :)
  • lorriemb
    lorriemb Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    saintor1 wrote: »
    Why is there even a need to *drink* milk, for an adult even pregnant? The calcium thing is a myth.

I use Almond milk (Blue Diamond not to name it) in my cereals and smoothies.

We each have preferences. Do you eat any dairy products at all? Cheese, yogurt, butter, etc.? Just curious.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Drink whatever milk tastes best to you.
  • shnoots
    shnoots Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Be aware that it has almost no protein.
  • champagnemoni
    champagnemoni Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's just a preference thing. I alternate between unsweetened almond and flax milk (25 cal!). I stopped drinking milk for a while and I have noticed a big difference in my health since then.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for extra protein then Almond milk is not a good choice. I'm hesitant to even call it milk... I use it in smoothies due to lower calories than regular milk, and you cant taste it in there.

But when it comes to drinking straight milk or adding it in tea/coffee/cereal etc than i stick to full cream cows milk.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    For coffee lightening, I like unsweetened soy milk better than unsweetened almond milk because its flavor doesn't compete with the taste of the coffee. Hubby prefers almond milk. For cooking, I tend to use heavy cream by the tablespoonful.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start calling it Almond water.
    It's a nice source of calcium.
    I like soured milk like yogurt and Kefir as much of the milk sugar is digested by the beneficial bacteria, and it is higher in protein than the vegetable "milks"
    The higher the fat, the more of the good fat soluble vitamins.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    My opinion as the granddaughter of a dairy farmer is that raw cow's milk is the best milk; slow pasteurized is second best, which is what my grandparents sold to other people.
    I don't actually drink a lot of milk, though. Occasionally, I have it on cereal and I cook with it, but mostly I drink cream or half and half in my coffee and eat cheese or ice-cream. I also use real salted butterm Drinking milk takes up calories that I would rather have for other food. If I had my own cow and it tasted right, I would make a different choice.

However, you do you if you want to drink almond, cashew or soy juice with your cookies, go right ahead.
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I used to use skim milk, I much prefer unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk in my smoothies and in my oats. Lately I've been digging unsweetened Toasted Almond/Coconut Milk. Are they better than regular milk? Eh, for me calorie wise they are. IMO they taste better than skim. When I cook I use whole milk as that's what the rest of the family drinks.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    It depends. It doesn't have much protein, sound you are looking for that, it's not good. If you gave kidney issues, it's high in oxalates. It is lower in calories than cow's milk.

For me, I use regular cow's milk. It fits my goals the best.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond milk over other milks...but then soy makes me break out and cows milk gives me digestion problems. I don't drink calories so my milk use is pretty much limited to overnight oats, occasional cold cereal (I usually just eat it dry as a snack), or homemade ice milk. As for the "best" milk, to each his/her own.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    almond milk is low in calories, but almost no protein. I prefer soy although the calories are a lot higher (100ish per cup).
  • Krby13
    Krby13 Posts: 63 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    lorriemb wrote: »
    saintor1 wrote: »
    Why is there even a need to *drink* milk, for an adult even pregnant? The calcium thing is a myth.

I use Almond milk (Blue Diamond not to name it) in my cereals and smoothies.

We each have preferences. Do you eat any dairy products at all? Cheese, yogurt, butter, etc.? Just curious.

I don't believe the need for calcium is a myth
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I prefer soy milk usually to add in some protein, or if I'm feeling especially lush I'll splurge on some FairLife - lactose free with lower sugar and higher protein than normal milk. I prefer the FairLife over regular milk as I have become somewhat lactose sensitive over time and it does not taste as sweet.