Quitting Soda Question

Options
So I have given up soda for a year before and now I'm remembering how good I felt then. I want to begin giving it up when I have a 5 day vacation from work soon. However I do love carbonated water. Does that count as a soda or not?

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    I would say no. Carbonated water is essentially just water. With bubbles.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Just fizzy water. No sugar, no carbs, no calories, keep drinking it especially if it helps you quit soda!
  • ShimmyShade
    ShimmyShade Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I wasn't sure and yes it has helped so much.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Depends. Some people get bloated from the bubbles in soda. If that's what bothered you, fizzy water probably would too.
  • SeikoMonster
    SeikoMonster Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The reason to quit soda is the sugar and calories.

When I quit my 2+ liter a day habit, I found that going for a coke zero or even flavored water made me crave the "real thing". So I quit anything besides water for a few months. Now I have a coke zero or two a day without any problems. If you don't get the cravings from the carbonated water, go for it!
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    So I have given up soda for a year before and now I'm remembering how good I felt then. I want to begin giving it up when I have a 5 day vacation from work soon. However I do love carbonated water. Does that count as a soda or not?

Nope. As long as there's no sugar (or artificial sweeteners), it's not soda. Just water with bubbles.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I was a 2-Liter guy myself per day. I've never been able to stick to quitting. I love it too much. Now I drink the equivalent of about that over a week. It pretty much always fits my calories. Maybe not for the specific day, but always for the week.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

It depends on why you are quitting it. Since we don't know, we can't really say.

If the reason is calories, carbonated water has none.
  • joe4975
    joe4975 Posts: 17 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I used fizzy water as a step-down drug to ease myself off soda, including diet soda. It really worked for me. Then I started using Gatorade G2 (low glucose - you need some glucose to make use of the electrolytes) while exercising to increase endurance, and prevent massive muscle cramps. I don't drink soda anymore. The fizzy water and sweet-tasting Gatorade work as a useful replacement.