Why I don't feel the least bit bad about my $5 footlong fix.

Options
You know you've hummed, sung, or whistled it before: Five....Five Dollar....Five Dollar Foot-Loonnnggg.

Most of us have all been exposed to this little phrase in commercials so much that I doubt I need tell you the name of the Fast Food chain that uses it. But for the three people who don't know it, AND happen to miraculously be reading this incredibly entertaining post instead of playing Farmville or watching YouTube, it's from Subway Restaurants.

Subway touts itself as being a healthier, fresh alternative to the other Fast Food options out there (pick your poison, McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, etc). But this is a game of calories consumed, not just fresh ingredients.

So why would I feel bad about sinking my chompers into a 12 inch "Veggie Delight" on wheat with no cheese, no mayo, and the bread "hollowed out" to remove excess carbs and calories? Well, I suppose it could be the nearly 500 calories of mostly carbs and little protein I was horking down. I started to feel a bit guilty when I remembered something important that helped put things into perspective.

Before I started trying to make a change to a healthier lifestyle (note: that does NOT mean "go on a diet"), I would routinely go into Subway for a "Healthy" choice in eating. Only my deluded self though that "healthy" would take the form of a 12 inch long FEAST sandwich, with extra cheese and DOUBLE MEAT., plus lots of oil and vinegar. This comes out to well over 2,000 calories. More than I eat in an entire day now. But it was "eating fresh" so it had to be healthy, right?...

Now, thinking back to that, I can contrast the difference in my behavior. The only similarity I can see now is that my sandwiches of choice were both "footlongs". But here are the plain and simple "Then and Now" differences:

Then: I drove to Subway which was a 1/2 mile away.

Now: I walked...nearly 2 miles, one way.

Then: I ordered a day's worth of calories on a bun. A real feast of destruction

Now: 460 calories, not great, but satisfying nonetheless, and burned half of it walking home.

Then: Large "diet" coke please. (yeah, because this really helps...)

Now: No drink, thanks.

Then: Get home after gorging myself, and have a nice lazy nap.

Now: Walk home, snag a shot of espresso, and back out to run errands for the day (right after typing up this note...)

These are just the differences that help me decide that while yes, perhaps a 6" veggie delight may have been more metabolism friendly, but it is certainly nothing to feel the slightest bit of guilt from. I'm a 5'9" 227 lbs man who is rocking out 47 pushups in a workout now instead of dying slowly on the couch. So I'm going to embrace my footlong fix for what it is: A healthy treat that was a much better selection than diabetes on a bun. I feel good about my choice because in the end, it is this habit changing behavior that is helping to turn me from a 270 lbs body of chewed bubble gum into a better, leaner, and healthier me. And that is something I can really "feast" on.

Replies

• jcarey101
    jcarey101 Posts: 31
    Options
    I love this! thank you for sharing your changes! Keep it up!
  • joyw37
    joyw37 Posts: 38
    Options
    well said. it's not about perfection, it's about progress:)
  • abigailhutch
    abigailhutch Posts: 101
    Options
    Woohoo! Way to go! and you are totally right about how we alter our decisions to have what's best for us....I am only a month into my weight loss journey but I definitely find myself making better decisions! All I can think is omg I don't want to put that on my food log! hehe!
  • IamJustSanie
    IamJustSanie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!!!
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything to feel bad about. you can definitely see changes in how you used to be and well than getting sandwich and realizing it all is worth it. Keep it up!
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! <3 it!!
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    This was a great post. I too have to look back and realize how far I've come when I think I'm going back into old habits. Keep up the good work.
  • misslissa555
    misslissa555 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Mmmm veggie delight! I get ALL the veggies on mine and either get fat free honey mustard orrrrrr guacamole!!! mmmmm Get the hot peppers too because I guess they're suppose to help your metabolism. :drinker:
  • 13hirteen
    13hirteen Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic. Really exemplifies the attitude that maintains a healthy future.

And I'm in the UK... we have Subway, but not with that jingle, mercifully... :D
  • tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    very nice! I am the same way I indulge in Subway from time-to-time as I haven't eaten any other fast food chain in over a year now. I feel if I have forgone the burger, fries and a Coke then I can enjoy the occasional sub as long as I work for it in my daily workout. Thanks for the post!
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    "body of chewed bubble gum" That is so descriptive, nice!

I agree with what you said 100%

Keep up the healthy new you!!!!
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    our journey to a healthy lifestyle is all about choices and making the best choices. Before the choices were more for instant gratification. Now it seems choices are for the long term! None of us can be perfect every minute of the day every day of the year but by thinking before choosing we are 3 steps ahead of the game!

Way to go! Awesome change in thinking and lifestyle

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT !!! WELL SAID :drinker:
  • LA_proud
    LA_proud Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!!!
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i think you did GREAT! 460 calories for 12 inches of sandwich isn't bad at all! i usually get a foot long and eat it at two separate sittings... like eat half for mid day snack/lunch then eat the other half with some fruit for dinner. so my lunch would be 230 cals and i'd be full, then dinner would be (lets say i ate a banana with it) 335 calories... unfortunately i like meat and cheese and all the bread on my sandwich.
  • Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    Options
    I so wish there was a "like" button! Great post!!!
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I agree wholeheartedly.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i was singing $5 foot long as i was reading the title to this post...lol
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I so wish there was a "like" button! Great post!!!

:heart: it!!!!