Post meniscus surgery workout

Options
I would love to keep active after the surgery. Any lifting ideas?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    what did your dr or PT say? usually you get a rehab schedule with specific exercises.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Best advice is to talk to your orthopedic surgeon but more importantly the physical therapist. The physical therapist will give you a workout to strengthen and rebuild your knee. I speak with experience two nice Scopes and a double hip replacement.

Two things. Number one follow the workout your physical therapist does and do it the exercise and stretching is the most important thing after surgery to rebuild the strength in your knee.

Number two. Please don't ask anybody on this site for their opinion they have no idea what the hell they're talking about and even though they may have good intentions they may give you advice that's going to do a lot of damage to your knee.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Depends on the scope and scale of the surgery plus your state of health going into the surgery - which only you and your medical team know.

My recovery from an arthroscopic meniscus tidy up on a strong leg was very different to my recovery from open meniscectomy and removal of 90% of a meniscus on a leg that had severe muscle wastage.
  • ataraxial
    ataraxial Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Janine1001 wrote: »
    I would love to keep active after the surgery. Any lifting ideas?

I had surgery to repair my ACL. I can use anything in the gym that incorporates my arms. As far as legs go I do the exercises my pt gives me. I found a good video on cardio exercises if you want. You sit the whole time so no risk of further injury =)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,145 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I agree with the above comments. You need to follow the doctor's and PT's recommendations so you can heal properly. We are all different and the orthopedic doctor is the only one that knows what was wrong with your knee and what kind of surgery he did, depending on the damage.

I am almost 9 months post TKA and I am still limited in what or how much leg exercises I can do. I am concentrating mostly in upper body strength training and the rowing machine, recumbent bike, walking and the ARC fitness for lower body cardio, all done at a moderate pace. I also follow my PT recommendations and exercises for lower body strength, including water calisthenics.

Edited to add: you will be sore and probably in pain after the surgery, and being active will be the last thing in your mid. Your body will need rest to heal, so don't rush it.

• keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I had meniscus tear surgery in '16. You need to listen to your ortho and then your phys therapist (if you decide to rehab with one). After they've check your knee and measured range of motion they'll give you some basic body weight exercises to your leg and then as you strengthen more.
    You should not be contemplating even body weight squats til your cleared by your doctor. Upper body lifting? careful not to twist or have exaggerated movements on your injured knee. Listen to your dr and therapist. Everyone rehabs differently.
  • chantal626
    chantal626 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I had acl reconstruction surgery and the best advice I can give is to listen to your PT and take the exercises seriously! You'll wanna build up that knee again before doing anything too strenuous and yoir PT can give you better advice than anyone on the internet. Best of luck!