Running or walking - which is best?

Options
I'm 55 and have a resting heart rate of 57bpm.

I use a Fitbit surge to measure my steps and heart rate. I've gradually worked up to walking around 40 minutes in the morning and 40 minutes in the evening - around 10k steps per day, usually more. I have trained myself to walk to 130BMP music (I used to walk very slowly due to back pain).

Two weeks ago I started doing the C25K on my treadmill in an effort to boost my weight loss. My Fitbit stats for the last week show the following:

Walking: 39 minutes 129 average BPM 374 calories
Running c25k week 2: 29 minutes 133 average BPM 307 calories.

My walking BPM ranges from 114 to 129 (depending if I am walking uphill or downhill). I have no pain when walking at all - I break a sweat but am not really out of breath.

Running BPM is 127-133 has resulted in knee pain and hip pain which is getting worse every time I run (on grass or on the treadmill).

I seems to me that I am burning almost as much fat walking as I am running, but running hurts my joints. Can this be right? Would more walking have the same effect as more running?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    ATM, you are probably running and walking about the same during the time you spent exercising; about 2 miles. If you continue running, you will eventually speed up, so in 40 minutes you will probably be able to run 4 miles. Obviously, you'll burn more calories running 4 miles than two.

Generally, as you lose weight and become more used to the impact of running, the joint pain goes away. I'm 60 and have no joint issues running, whereas I often have knee pain while hiking, because of the different terrain. However, that's not true for everyone. A lot depends on how much you weigh. Less weight equals less impact.

Most important is to do an exercise you enjoy doing. You could come to love running, but it may take a while. At first it feels really hard. Later on there will still be days when it feels really hard but if you gain enough good feelings out of your running, you'll continue.

Do you have good well cushioned shoes? They make a real difference in terms of impact. If not, get to a good running store and find some shoes that fit your gait. They should help.
  • mattiefras
    mattiefras Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    There are so many factors that could affect your run. Are you wearing the right shoes? Are you more than 20 pounds overweight? Is your form correct? Etc. if you are only raising your bpm by that amount, (running vs walking) and you are having no pain with walking, then the speed your going is probably not that much faster than your brisk walk I'm guessing. Proper form and the right shoes are essential to pain free running. If you are truly serious about wanting to run, then go to a local running store and get fit with the right shoes and have them record your form while you run. Most running stores that are not big box stores will watch and record you to see how your stride and form is affected by the shoes you choose.

Otherwise, stick with the walking for now. There's no need to hurt yourself while trying to be healthy!
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Are you religiously stretching after every workout? That may be the cause of your hip/knee pain.
    Walking and running are both good, except that very well run studies show that about 2/3 of people who do them do not lose weight (I'm one of them).
    Whichever one you will happily do is the one to do. For fitness if nothing else. And, here's a link to the four stretches you show do every day of your life to help maintain the health of your legs:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Sg1MHhmjY
    Enjoy!
  • karris43
    karris43 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you for replying. That makes sense. I do want to run, but I am really worried that I am doing myself harm. The pain is in my left hip and outer left knee mainly and sounds like it could be IT band. I am still quite heavy. Maybe I should try when I have lost a bit more weight?
  • mattiefras
    Options
    I think the extra weight makes a huge difference. I'm not saying that if people are heavy that they shouldn't run, but it is obviously more stress on your joints. If walking is giving you that results and satisfaction that you desire without the pain, them I would stick with that. As you continue to lose weight, keep trying it out. See if the weight loss makes a difference. Running should be fun, not painful! If you run through the pain constantly, (all runners do occasionally) you will end up injuring yourself and not even want to run. So don't give up, just give it more time. The fact that you are out there moving is what is important! WTG! Keep up the great work!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I found running to be less difficult when I was within 20 lbs of my goal weight. Being just a bit older than you, I wouldn't run if it's causing that type of pain. It's not worth it. The risk of injury is very high. I have friends who pushed through the pain, didn't recover adequately, etc., and have permanent injuries that will affect their walking ability the rest of their lives. You can't stop before it gets too bad, because there's not really a lot of warning, the injury pops up during an unrelated activity.
    You could work on foam rolling the painful areas before and after walking, lose the rest of your weight goal (which you don't state so I don't know if it's 5 lbs or 50 lbs), and try again at that time.
    Great job on the walking!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's not 100% relevant, but the discrepancy in calorie burn is due to the intermittent nature of your run/walk routine and shortcomings in Fitbit technology. The numbers cant really be used for an effective comparison.

In general, not everyone can run right away, esp if overweight. I agree with those who say it might be too much for you right now. You are probably better off increasing your walking duration to burn more calories.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    karris43 wrote: »

Walking: 39 minutes 129 average BPM 374 calories
    Running c25k week 2: 29 minutes 133 average BPM 307 calories.

I'm a little confused around whether you're talking about music BPM, or HR, but I'm equally not entirely convinced that either make a huge difference given where you are.

There are a number of reasons for pain whilst running, generally inappropriate or ill fitting shoes, muscular strength issues or running gait. Given what you describe it could be any, or all, of those.

When you're running aim for a very short pace, rather than reaching out with your leading leg. Equally if you're trying to run too quickly that may cause you problems.

Fwiw I'd ignore the calorie estimate from your FitBit, so that comparison isn't all that valid. Equally your proportion of fat doesn't really compare in the same way.
  • mattiefras
    Options
    Totally agree with MeanderingMamnal on this one.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Consider intervals...for example run 5 minutes and then walk 1-2 minutes. This will give you a cardio workout yet also give you a break when walking. It seams distance is how much you will burn...in other words 1 mile equals 100 cals burned if I run or walk HOWEVER it takes me almost 20 mins to walk it compared to 10 mins to run it. Running can also get your heart rate up for more after calorie burn.
    Do what works for you
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Consider intervals...for example run 5 minutes and then walk 1-2 minutes.

That's significantly more aggressive than the originator describes as giving her problems.
    It seams distance is how much you will burn...in other words 1 mile equals 100 cals burned if I run or walk HOWEVER it takes me almost 20 mins to walk it compared to 10 mins to run it.

Walking burns about half the calories that running burns.

Running calories per mile = c0.6* bodyweight in lbs
    Walking calories per mile = c0.3 c bodyweight in lbs

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I reread and saw that you have a treadmill. I would recommend incline walking--start with the incline at 8-10% and pick a speed where you can maintain that grade without handrail support. In the beginning, you might have to do intervals where you lower the incline every few minutes to give yourself a break. This will allow you increase training intensity and calorie burn w/out the impact of running.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Consider intervals...for example run 5 minutes and then walk 1-2 minutes.

That's significantly more aggressive than the originator describes as giving her problems.
    It seams distance is how much you will burn...in other words 1 mile equals 100 cals burned if I run or walk HOWEVER it takes me almost 20 mins to walk it compared to 10 mins to run it.

Walking burns about half the calories that running burns.

Running calories per mile = c0.6* bodyweight in lbs
    Walking calories per mile = c0.3 c bodyweight in lbs

First that was an example, I said do what works for her.
    Second I said "I" based on what I know 'I' burn the same amount running or walking...I guess I don't run fast enough to reach your stated amount of twice the calories.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I took up running when walking got boring. If you love walking, keep doing it.

Those pains point to some needed stretches and strengthening in your core and your hips. Don't keep running through that sort of pain because you will risk further injury.