Best time to weigh yourself?

Options
Is it still best to hop on the scale first thing in the morning on weigh im day?

Replies

• flemmingss
    flemmingss Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do it in the morning, after a toilet visit (if needed)

I think that is the best time.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    flemmingss wrote: »
    I do it in the morning, after a toilet visit (if needed)

I think that is the best time.

This. Also try to keep as many factors the same as you can. Same clothes ( or no clothes is easier), same scale, same spot on the floor.
  • Zenithian0
    Zenithian0 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Had that floor issue with the scale, One week it said I was 312, then I was 306 by the next, I was excited. then I had to move it the week after and I saw it did not change despite clear evidence I did lose some weight. I figured it was 3 pounds lost not 6lb
  • daisyfields79
    daisyfields79 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I donit first thing in the morning after using the bathroom. Then I donit about 30 minutes later and it's always 1.5 pounds lighter. Lol but I still do it this way in case it doesn't go lighter lol
  • queerpenix
    queerpenix Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When I had a scale, I would weigh in after I woke up (restroom used if necessary) and would remove clothing. That way I would have a base of weight and then I would weigh the following week, same day, same routine!
  • ClovisMan
    ClovisMan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My alarm goes off, I make a head call, and then weigh myself. Seems I weigh the least first thing in the morning, by up to three pounds.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    JnineGains wrote: »
    Is it still best to hop on the scale first thing in the morning on weigh im day?

Whatever time you choose, try to keep it constant from one time to the next.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    When you all say you weigh "after the restroom", does this mean after just peeing, or "the other" too?
    Is weighing in with all of yesterdays food still inside you a true and valid weight??

ETA: When i weigh it's first thing in the morning before eating and drinking, but only if I've done #1 AND 2. If the latter hasn't happened, then i don't bother weighing that day.
  • JnineGains
    JnineGains Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    After both or whichever happens first lol
  • kumardoc
    kumardoc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I weigh my self in the buff after my coffee and after I've done a poo just before I have ashouwer
  • MarcA1218
    MarcA1218 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Alway weight myself right after I get out of the shower in the morning. Seems like it would be the most accurate time.
  • Nicolllaaaaa
    Nicolllaaaaa Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I only weigh on cycle day 1 and 14 in the morning before a shower
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I weigh my self in the buff after my coffee and after I've done a poo just before I have ashouwer

Hmm, so you're including your coffee weight!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

Hmm, so you're including your coffee weight!!

I've weighed myself before my cup of coffee and after. 1 cup adds an extra 200g to my weight. 1 cup of coffee and 1 cup tea adds 1.1kg. I use a regular cup for my coffee, but my cup of tea holds over 500ml.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    MarcA1218 wrote: »
    Alway weight myself right after I get out of the shower in the morning. Seems like it would be the most accurate time.

It's not about accurate, since an accurate weight can be taken at any time of day. Its about having more consistent circumstances in terms of hydration, food in system. That way, day to day trends make more sense.
  • LucasLean
    LucasLean Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    MarcA1218 wrote: »

It's not about accurate, since an accurate weight can be taken at any time of day. Its about having more consistent circumstances in terms of hydration, food in system. That way, day to day trends make more sense.

I like this idea.

I prefer the morning. I'd only care about water and food weight if it's in the evening. I like to weigh on an empty stomach.

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    It is best to pick one time and stick to it. If you weigh yourself in the evening or morning, fine, just make sure to weigh yourself at that same time every time
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    In the long term, like 6-8 weeks or longer it doesn't matter.

As to the short term, lots of people say to try to duplicate conditions, weigh at the same time, which is fine. I think the body is much more complex than for any two days' conditions to "be the same". For those looking for the "lightest" time, it may not be when you think. Many times, I'm 2 pounds or more lighter after eating at least half of my calories for the day.

With that in mind, I weigh myself whenever I feel like it and log it. It all comes out in the trend and I could care less about anything else, especially in the short term.
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    first thing when you wake up . Weighting yourself hours after you get up and eaten you will see fluctuations on the scale.