Sore legs....

Options
Yesterday was my first training with my trainer. I knew my leg would hurt bc that's what we worked out. I was just wondering if there's anything I can do to help with the soreness?! It hurts to sit down or stand up. Before I was hardly drinking any water. I've since been upping my water intake! Any suggestions?!

Replies

• PeteG7606
    PeteG7606 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What's the thinking behind upping your water because your legs are sore? J/k.....stay consistently, soreness will go away once your legs get over the initial shock of actually doing something.
  • Losing2Live2017
    Losing2Live2017 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Upping my water bc I don't drink but maybe two cups of any liquid a day. Not much of a drinker. Lol. Thanks hopefully they will be better by my next training session
  • Misskcm
    Misskcm Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Soreness is good. But..
    If I'm dehydrated it increases muscle soreness. Make sure you are stretching significantly after any workout.
    If I stretch before bed and right whenever I wake up in the morning for 3-5 minutes it makes the world of difference.
    Keep working at it though. As your body gets used to weight lifting you won't be as sore.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Welcome to DOMS.... plenty of water and enough protein will help. Walk & stretch today...
  • Losing2Live2017
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Keep moving...the worst thing you could do with DOMs is sit it out. Go for a walk and keep moving. Have a warm soak in the tub...do some stretching. The first week or two of training is the worst and then DOMs subside as your body gets used to actually working.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    epsom salt in your bath and soak away. also I find caffeine can help with some of the soreness too. it may just be me but it does help.
  • kim_lc
    kim_lc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Plenty or protein and make sure when you are doing stretches that you are holding them for at least 30 seconds.
  • Losing2Live2017
    Options
    Looks like I need to start doing stretches! Now the soreness is more of a tight feeling! Thanks everyone :)
  • Losing2Live2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Keep moving...the worst thing you could do with DOMs is sit it out. Go for a walk and keep moving. Have a warm soak in the tub...do some stretching. The first week or two of training is the worst and then DOMs subside as your body gets used to actually working.

I know this is probably a stupid question but what is DOMs?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

delayed onset muscle soreness
  • Losing2Live2017
    Options

delayed onset muscle soreness

Thank you
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was my first training with my trainer. I knew my leg would hurt bc that's what we worked out. I was just wondering if there's anything I can do to help with the soreness?! It hurts to sit down or stand up. Before I was hardly drinking any water. I've since been upping my water intake! Any suggestions?!

Oh, DOMS. They suck, they really do. I know that awful post leg day penguin waddle, quads on fire, dear lord please don't let there be stairs pain very well.
    Here's what can help. Of course staying hydrated. Also, icing the muscles after your workout seems to alleviate the next two day quadpocalypse pain. And, as much as it sounds horrible, move. Not work out, but keep moving. Walks, stand, gently keep your muscles active.
  • VeronicaA76
    Options
    Just keep working out
    Embrace the soreness

LOL, yep. Be proud of your awkward penguin waddle!!! It's a badge of honor.
  • Losing2Live2017
    Options
    Unfortunately there is stairs at work! I'm getting through day one with them lol.
  • razorbackinflorida
    Options
    Roll your muscles out with a roller. IT HELPS SOOO MUCH. Lots of Protein and of course the water. I drink about 120 ounces per day.
  • VeronicaA76
    Options
    Unfortunately there is stairs at work! I'm getting through day one with them lol.

Oh holy armpits of hell. Stairs after leg day. That's when you honestly think that just lying down and pulling yourself up with your arms or just throwing yourself down them sounds reasonable.
  • pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options

For me what helps is if you add 1 tbsp of salt to your during workout water, maybe lemon too if you have it on hand. It helps a great deal, since you sweat a lot, you will lose a lot of minerals and water, and you don´t want to do that. Also I suggest at least 500ml of water for every 30 min of training (it doesn´t matter what kind of training). And during the day 1 glass of water every hour. Just look at the clock from time to time and think what was the last time you drank any water.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Stay hydrated, get plenty of protein, get some good stretching in and a nice warm bath/shower.

I feel your pain, on Wednesday I did my longest run and a workout with pushups (not done pushups for a long time), my legs have just about recovered but my shoulders and upper arms are aching today. Got another run/workout tonight, looking forward to a nice soak in the bath with a glass of wine after.