Post workout foods..

Options
I need some variety for my mid morning snack and post workout snacks. Any advice? What do you guys eat?

Replies

• Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I need some variety for my mid morning snack and post workout snacks. Any advice? What do you guys eat?
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    V8 and a string cheese
  • kellya
    kellya Posts: 208
    Options
    whole grain toast and peanut butter
    cheese wedge and orange
    cottage cheese and peach
    apple and yogurt
    wheat thins and baby carrots
  • saskia
    saskia Posts: 31
    Options
    Crudites with hummus
  • inadelirium
    Options
    I like half a banana and a tablespoon of almond butter.

Or sometimes I mix 1/2 banana and 1 cup of papaya with light vanilla yogurt.

There's also a slice of whole wheat bread with some PB.... just gotta make sure you get your carbs and protein after a workout!
  • greeneyedgirl
    Options
    cottage cheese is amazing....I love it after a workout
  • alacio86
    Options
    Healthy smoothie
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I usually snack on...

apple
    banana
    string cheese
    baby carrots
    Luna bar
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    fruit & cheese
    healthy crackers & cheese or hummus
    greek yogurt with homemade apple or pear sauce
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Protein shake with soy milk-yum, and a banana with PB on it. :drinker:
  • drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    Options
    After a suitable workout, a Recoverite shake...
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Crudites with hummus

Been afraid to try hummus, what does it taste like???
  • drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    Options
    pretty much like whatever it is made with really. It is bean paste I think? It isnt bad with crackers...
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Crudites with hummus

Been afraid to try hummus, what does it taste like???

You can get it in all sorts of flavors. Garlic, jalpeno, and more. I love it on celery, cause I tend to over do the crackers if I eat it with them.
  • cjm0014
    cjm0014 Posts: 118
    Options
    fruit & cheese
    healthy crackers & cheese or hummus
    greek yogurt with homemade apple or pear sauce

homemade apple sauce or home made pear sauce?
    i'm intrigued... how do you make this?
  • RunningSteph
    Options
    My breakfast after my cardio is always the same - 1 piece of whole wheat toast, 1 slice of low fat cheese and 1 fried egg. Topped off with a little Franks Red Hot of course :wink:

Morning snack is always a piece of fruit

Lunch is generally a turkey sandwich on whole wheat with a veggie

Afternoon snack is 1fruit and some yogurt

Dinner varies!
  • imworthit
    imworthit Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I like Kashi go Lean cereal (lots of fiber and protein) with skim milk and slice some banana in it. I tried blueberries today and loved it!
  • Maybaby
    Options
    i usually work out at night, so i take a little protein powder (vanilla or chocolate) cottage cheese, jello (snack pack), and a fruit like pineapple and mix it up...it's actually really good, as weird as it sounds. i recommend aria women's protein, it tastes great. if you don't like the grainy texture, put it with a little milk and mix it up first then mix it in the other stuff.
    you don't want too many carbs post workout, i keep reading that-so try not to do cereal or bars.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    i usually work out at night, so i take a little protein powder (vanilla or chocolate) cottage cheese, jello (snack pack), and a fruit like pineapple and mix it up...it's actually really good, as weird as it sounds. i recommend aria women's protein, it tastes great. if you don't like the grainy texture, put it with a little milk and mix it up first then mix it in the other stuff.
    you don't want too many carbs post workout, i keep reading that-so try not to do cereal or bars.

Actually that is the opposite from the information that I've read. Nutrient Timing (a book by Ivy) has some really interesting information. The typical ration is 4:1 carb:protein ratio. The carbs help get the protein to your muscles and refuel them faster than all carb or all protein. So if you have a protein shake, make sure to add a banana or some good carbs in there!

I prefer oatmeal (good carb) w/ 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder (good protein).