Trying to find that balance

Options
CW: 175
GW:155

26 yo trying to accomplish a balance between a social life, and an active, healthy lifestyle.

The gym bores me as my only source of exercise. I've played sports and been active throughout my life, but now that I'm not a part of a team I find it harder to motivate myself. I've done my fair share of crash/fad dieting and my weight yo-yos often. While weight loss is a goal, educating myself in health and wellness is important to me, to maintain a healthy weight for life.

Even though I'm a social person, I've felt ashamed in the past to look for support. Hoping to share experience and learn from others who have similar goals! Thanks friends!

Replies

• awildwomanatheart
    awildwomanatheart Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've been there too, and I feel the same way about the end goal being less about a number, and more about the overall experience and drive to live a healthy life. Feel free to add me. Wishing you all the best!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    can you join some sort of team sport now? or have you tried doing group classes at a gym? stuff with other people so that you're not just on the treadmill or lifting weights alone?
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options

Why not join a team? I've been in running clubs, have taken lessons at rowing clubs, and will likely join a triathlon team next year.

I have similar issues. Just going to the gym doesn't do it for me. I need a goal. Preferably something competitive or quantifiable. So I'm always signed up for and training for an athletic event. Next up: 5k run, where I'll try to beat my personal best. After that: indoor rowing race. After that: sprint triathlon.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of team activities out there! Think about group classes at the gym, running/cycling groups and sports teams. We have similar goals and I'd love to encourage you along your journey!
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I powerlift train with/ compete with two other people in my weight class and little friendly competition every session we meet.
  • vanessajlimon
    vanessajlimon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well from my personal experience there are a variety of classes you can take on groupon! You mentioned you wanted to achieve balance in your life and for me I used to believe if I wanted to lose weight I would need to cut off carbs, sugar, fats etc. the next day and continue for a month and that would eventually backfire. This is how I also noticed other people not successfully maintain their weight because they deprive themselves and punish themselves if they have a slice of pizza. Remember it's all about training the mind as well and change has to happen at a gradual pace for it to be effective and long term. I still have what I want but if I want a burger I'll do a lettuce bun instead, if I want fries I'll hand cut a potato sprinkle olive oil, salt, and pepper and bake them, if i want wings I'll purchase the bag of grain fed chicken wings and make it from scratch and bake it also portion is another factor. When people think "diet" or "healthy eating" they think of plain boring chicken and veggies but trust me if you follow enough instagram health inspired pages you will be surprised with what you come up with. Also, try not to focus on the numbers of the scale it's not always an accurate representation of your results and you won't weigh the same from 8am and 8pm. I took photos and i saw HUGE progress in between but the scale only said I dropped 3lbs go by the way you FEEL :)
  • PeteG7606
    PeteG7606 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a new challenge, theres this little thing called a triathlon....Ironman to be more specific. I've been training 6 months now for next years race...its brutal, intense, challenging and you'd have to be insane to commit to it, but at the end of the day, its fun.