Living without "The Good Stuff"!

Options
I have lost almost 30lbs since February, since I stopped eating: BREAD, SUGAR (cakes, cookies, anything cooked baked or made with SUGAR), or FRIED FOODS (potato chips are fried too)! I stopped drinking SODA, 4 years ago. Gods grace and mercy help me through this. I am loving the way my body is coming back together since leaving all that stuff out of my daily food choices and going to the gym, only enhances my life, mood, and love for LIFE. You may think that I am trying to sound SAPPY, but this is true.

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Ok. Good for you?
  • lorriemb
    lorriemb Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! :) Lifestyle changes are hard.

All things in moderation works for me. And, some of those foods/beverages are real triggers for me so I am extra diligent about controlling those few choices-moderation is the key, for me.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I enjoy whatever I want but if it's a higher than usual calorie food choice then I make sure to only do that once every few days or so. I've gotten myself in a bind before eating that way several days in a row and not being able to bounce back too easy. The one thing I won't eat is fast food right now. I will take a bite here and there of someone else's food but that's it. That's my weak area.
  • valbstyln644
    valbstyln644 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you @Hearts_2015! I know my body, tastes, strengths, and weaknesses. I am enjoying myself this way. I don't feel bloated, tired, and stuffed all the time. This is what makes me happy.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The way you're describing it makes it sound like you're depriving yourself, and depriving yourself always makes you cave in the end.

I have tried cutting things out, several times, but I missed it so much that I overate when I couldn't do it anymore (usually a year or so in). I got heavier for every attempt.

I have practically stopped eating/drinking certain things now, but I'm not denying myself anything anymore, and my life is full of good stuff - including great food - so I don't need any help maintaining good eating habits and thus healthy weight, and all the exercise I do is normal daily activity (walking, dancing, doing things).
  • MySweetLavinia
    MySweetLavinia Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Congrats, OP! Getting control of one's eating habits is the best feeling. Those who prefer the "moderation" method will always think we're depriving ourselves, but instead it's actually incredibly freeing.

For the people preaching "moderation in everything" to OP: you need to understand that for some of us, this doesn't work well. Personally, I have certain foods that will always trigger a binge or overeating, so cutting them out is the best method.

There is plenty of "good stuff" left to eat that isn't junk food. I don't need cola or poptarts to enjoy life, and it sounds like OP doesn't either.
  • disney_addict_1028
    disney_addict_1028 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bread is life lol
  • Rick_1953
    Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I have found that you can really eat what you want as long as you can stay in or below your calorie count for the day
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Life with no good stuff? Hmmmm...you say you enjoy it but really? I wouldn't describe a life I enjoy as being without all the good stuff.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 30lbs since February, since I stopped eating: BREAD, SUGAR (cakes, cookies, anything cooked baked or made with SUGAR), or FRIED FOODS (potato chips are fried too)! I stopped drinking SODA, 4 years ago. Gods grace and mercy help me through this. I am loving the way my body is coming back together since leaving all that stuff out of my daily food choices and going to the gym, only enhances my life, mood, and love for LIFE. You may think that I am trying to sound SAPPY, but this is true.

You'll note that Peter's vision at Joppa, in which God told Peter, "Arise Peter, kill and eat", did not include bread, sugar, cakes, cookies, potatoes, or carbonated beverages. I'm just sayin'. Lay off the caps lock, please.

However, let's not imagine that anyone is going to succeed at long term weight loss without allowing themselves some tasty delights within their calorie budget. For that matter, even without their calorie budget. All have binged.
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on finding what works for you. That is what makes us individuals. Good luck on continues weight loss.