I can eat HOW MANY calories???

Options

Replies

• msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP Michael I commend you on taking the first step. You will see that ppl here are very supporting and it helpful.
    You may want to open your diary and let ppl know you want friends... mfp friends=support system

Way to Go Michael!
  • tbucks
    tbucks Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am 6'4" and currently right around 323, started at 388 in February.

I've been sticking to calorie count around 1200-1400 for the last couple of months, and mixed in 3-4 days of 5 mile walks/runs.

If you cut your calories, and count everything you take in. Just start moving some more and the pounds will start to drop real quick.
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP Michael I commend you on taking the first step. You will see that ppl here are very supporting and it helpful.
    You may want to open your diary and let ppl know you want friends... mfp friends=support system

Way to Go Michael!

I opened it up to friends and I made another post under the help forum that I'd like people to add me and keep me in check :)
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options

Yep! Cereal is a great one to bring it home how different an estimated portion is to an actual recommended portion. Before I started weighing foods I'd have a bowl of cornflakes and assume it was about the right portion. Once I started weighing, I realised I'd been eating about 3 portions in one bowl! Muesli even more so as it's denser so I was probably eating 150g and taking the calories from the 30g portion size recommended on the side of the box. lol!

Weigh and measure all foods always!

Yeah, that's very true about cereal. Cereal is a weakness of mine, too. The good news is my preferred cereal is a whole-grain type of cereal, no sugar. I love that stuff. I do avoid the Fiber One cereals, because they cause painful gas. :P

I've found I get more rice krispies for my 30g than cornflakes so it feels as if I'm getting more! :)
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Hey Michael! Welcome to MFP!

So, I'd like to address a few things that have been on this thread. Yes, we frequently estimate we eat less than we actually do. It's not until we actually use the portions and can get a real feel for it that we can understand how much we have been eating. That could be one aspect for you.

Similarly, you don't have to overeat to be fat. Not feeding your body properly can cause plenty of weight issues, not just of the skinny kind. Sometimes you have to eat more than you think to lose weight. Restriction isn't really the answer. Moderation of certain foods, but generally not to severely undereat.

As for being obese, the odd thing is that we can tolerate a lower caloric intake. So, I'm half inclined to agree with your physician. Similarly, not all physicians necessarily understand proper and healthy weight loss. Much of the the info they have to give you is based on the government, which we all know isn't always correct. (My favorite anti-gov't thing is my disdain for the food pyramid, but that for a different day and topic.) I don't know who your physician is or his/her specialty, but if you want sound medical advice, make sure it is coming from a physician who truly understands the physiology of the obese. Same thing goes for nutritional advice, see side comment on the food pyramid.

Next, the sedentary life. I'll just have to be a hard *kitten* on this one. It's a lifestyle change. You gotta change your lifestyle. Nothing says you have to sit and spend time with the fams. This is a great opportunity for you to inspire your children as well. When you get home, something as simple as some sports games on the Wii would be a way to increase activity. Go for a walk around the neighborhood for dessert after dinner. Make tennis trips, basketball, swimming, et cetera your family time. As a culture we think family time is watching tv. Make it something active to support all of you healthfully. So..you can also add in bits of exercise. Take the long way to a teacher's classroom. Get up and go talk to the secretary. Take the stairs. Park in the farthest parking spot. Heck, you can even just get a set of bike pedals for under your desk. Being active will most likely help you with some of the sleep issues - unless they are related to things like sleep apnea.

And on the last note, I'm not saying this is you, but if you were eating the same as your friends maybe something else is going on. My anecdotal story is me. I have had the hardest time to lose weight in my life. Well it wasn't until last year when I figured out that I have a gluten sensitivity that I have been able to finally get my body to lose weight. (Ok, clarification, I did Atkins and rocked it, South Beach, rocked it. But it wasn't until I started adding "healthy" carbs like whole wheat bread that I would fail. Should have been a clue years ago.) So, there is that kind of possibility as well. Our bodies are funny funny things sometimes.

Anyway, I'll add you as a friend, I think we can find some similar things in our lives and hopefully I can help you see some of the things you can do to reach the goals you want. :)
  • slapshotgolf
    slapshotgolf Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Lots of good support here - there is a transition period where you will find it hard to stay within your calories. If you start to make good eating choices you'll find it easier to feel full with less calories - and eventually you will gain control of your hunger. I've been there, and worse(I've lost almost 129 lbs in less than 9 months after starting out at 380 lbs). Feel free to read my blog, its in the signature below - send me a friend request if you want to access and view my diary - may give you some idea on what to eat. Curious, you a Smashing Pumpkins fan?
  • irenerose25
    irenerose25 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't really have anything to add (seems like others have covered it pretty well), but I did want to say good luck! I hope you decide to stick it out :)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have no time to exercise. I'm a principal of a school... I work 10 hours a day (sometimes 12-14) and my campus is 52 miles from my house, so I spend 2.5 hours a day in my car.... when I get home, I'd like to have a conversation with my wife or children now and then... I am barely even able to get 6hours of sleep. I'd rather increase my sleep discipline, because I tend to feel better and lose weight better when I'm getting 8 hours.

Take them with... exercise will be good for them as well and walking with a group is often more enjoyable.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would like to say welcome to the community and congrats on make the decision for a healthy lifestyle. I will say, you have to be careful eating less than your BMR. It isn't a healthy approach. I would suggest going ot a dietician because I can tell you, i know more than my doctor when it comes to fitness. Also, below is a link that has some good information on it that should tell you/revalidate how many calories you should eat. Also, if you want to spend time with your family, why don't you get them involved in your workouts. Ask yourself, do they need to improve their health? I have found, as well as many others, it is much easier to stay with it and continue weightloss if others are involved in the process as well. This is what I am trying to do. I am working to get my wife to workout with me and I encourage her.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    If you decide to eat 1500 be sure to measure the nutrition and consider escalating it a little if you feel ill. And Welcome. I still think you would probably lose at a higher amount as I said I eat 1600 + exercise calories and I am losing weight.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

Pleae don't take this the wrong way, but unless your family has a history of actual medical problems that cause weight gain (hypothyroidism, hormone imbalances, etc), you CANNOT put down your weight as being due to a slow metabolism.

If you maintain your current weight @ over 300 lbs eating only 2500 calories, then you should see a doctor.

I have. He said eat 1200 calories a day. I said that's hard. He said yes, it is.

Listen to him then, not MFP. 110% of the time, do what your doctor says over what a website says.

All in all though, best of luck on your journey though! No matter what, it won't be easy! Just stick to it!

I fired my doctor because he told me to consume 1200 calories a day. Then shided me for eating grapes because they have a lot of sugar, and said I should eat strawberries instead. Grapes do have a lot of sugar, but they have less sugar and calories than M & M's that I was eating before. I tried the 1200 calorie thing for two weeks and then said; "If that's what I have to do to be skinny then screw it!"

I started here at MFP at 336. 2100 Kcal actually seems kind of low. Even now I have my base goal set at 2300. You don't have to start with a drastic calorie deficit. Log everything. Even what you are drinking. When I started I realized I was consuming 700 calories a day in Mt Dew. Just cutting that out was worth a pound a week.

Nutrition is the number one priority. What kind of school do you teach at? Is there a track, pool, or weight room you can use?
  • aoney
    aoney Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I also agree with the above response. Also think about the type of foods you are eating to reach that calorie level. Often eating the same amount of calories but making healthier choices will result in weight loss. It is not all about calories. Thisnk about sugars, carbs, trans adn saturated fat, etc. Maybe try eating the same as you were but substituting some meals or snacks for healthier options and see where your calories are. If your not hungry and eating less calories I would say to have a lower calorie goal.
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Hi Michael!

When I joined i was concerned that the calories for me were to high as well. I will admit I aimed a little lower (about 200 below the recommended) and didn't eat back my exercise calories. I was surprised in the beginning though at how quickly calories coud rack up with my then, normal, menu. I also would have sworn blind that I wasn't eating 2000 calories prior to starting my journey (I was really wrong, or I'd have some days where I was but other days where I was super over!!!). As you lose, MFP will adjust you calories. It makes it easier to maintain if your quantity (not quality!!) of food decreases slowly and you have time to mentally, physically and emotionally get used to it.

Feel free to add me for support, I know what the journey is like - I'm still on it and have a long way to go! :flowerforyou:
  • michelle_vankat
    Options
    BUMP for later
  • Alissa_Sal
    Alissa_Sal Posts: 141
    Options
    I didn't have much to add, because others have given you a lot of great info, but I did want to say welcome and good luck.

Regarding talking to your wife and kids instead of working out, what if you all went for family walks after dinner? Even a half an hour a night would be so beneficial, and then you could spend time with them and all get in a little bit of exercise too. That is one thing that I am trying to be so conscious of with my own son, even though he is only 3. I want him to have always lived a more active lifestyle, so I am already taking him for walks (where he walks too, not just in a stroller) and take him around the block on his trike. I think it's a great idea to involve your family if you can. Even if they are very slim, walking is great for anyone who can do it.

Anyway, good luck. I would like to add you as a friend if you don't mind, because I would love to keep up with you and hear about your journey.
  • ehs5mw
    ehs5mw Posts: 65
    Options
    Michael,

A couple things for you:

I would consider a second opinion based on what your doctor recommended. Unless you have a diagnosed medical problem that makes you unable to control your weight, I think his/her recommendation was way too low.

Secondly, please start taking just a 30 minute walk each morning or night before or after work with your wife. It will help you get moving and it will give you time to talk, seriously.

Good luck!
  • Stumbleine
    Stumbleine Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Off topic, but I see that you're a Pumpkins fan. Sweet! Welcome.
  • candicemaechling
    candicemaechling Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    This is what my favorite source recommends -

How much to eat -
    Take your goal weight times 10. My goal weight is 160 so I average 1600 cal/day

How much you burn-
    Add 9.5 to the about of hours of exercise you plan to get per week. For me this is 9.5+5 = 14.5. Multiply this number by your current weight. For me this comes out to 2595.5. So if I take 2595.5 - 1600 I have a daily deficit of almost 1000 calories.

My guess is that you are under estimating how much you eat a day. Most people do. Get a food scale and measuring cups to make sure you are adding everything up right.

I'll start measuring and counting better in terms of what I eat.

I have no time to exercise. I'm a principal of a school... I work 10 hours a day (sometimes 12-14) and my campus is 52 miles from my house, so I spend 2.5 hours a day in my car.... when I get home, I'd like to have a conversation with my wife or children now and then... I am barely even able to get 6hours of sleep. I'd rather increase my sleep discipline, because I tend to feel better and lose weight better when I'm getting 8 hours.

Maybe family walks after dinner I was 320 8 months ago and now a little under 218 calories up until last month i was a restuarant manager working 70-80 hours a week excersice was my relaxation time of course there were times I couldn't though but the good food choices still helped it really can be fun to get the family involved ps good Lu k on your journey :)
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    under 1500 calories

Leave that mentality to the other sex please.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, we ASSUME we are eating fewer calories when we are actually eating more;
    For example, I would just pour a bowl of cereal and add milk to my liking. When I actually measured the cereal and the milk it was a lot less than what I was consuming. So, I was consuming 260 calories vs. 130 per serving I was suppose to. Our portion sizes are way out of control. Do MFP a week and then incorporate excercise. Once you start burning calories you will be glad you have those extra calories.

P.S. Make your diary public so that you can get lots of input. GL

Excellent example, I was the same, thought a bowl of cereal was healthy and great only to find i was eating 2-3 times of what a normal serving was!!