depressed!

Options
So Today we finally got a scale... Needless to say stepping on it has me just baffled! How did this happen? How did I let myself gain this much weight? Will I ever be able to get rid of it ? I am a good 40 pounds more than what I thought I was :(

I feel disgusted and disgusting !

Replies

• jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    It happens sweetpea. Try not to focus on how far you've got to go and just get ready to start on, say, Monday. Get your crammings and cravings out of the way and start afresh on Monday. When you next step on that scale you'll be 7 - 10lbs down easy and all the bad feelings will disappear! Use it as motivation!
  • 500lbs2marathon
    500lbs2marathon Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    2 things, you are HERE, and you are making a conscious choice to do something about it.

You can hold your head high and know you CAN and WILL do this!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I've been there. *sigh* I had to find a way around the disappointment in myself. It was not easy. And I still struggle with it.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I've gained around 90lbs in the last 4 years - I was pretty upset with myself, but I've discovered that being upset doesn't make me lose any weight - if anything, I eat more. As someone said above me, you're HERE! Use the forums and encouragement from friends on MFP to move in the right direction. Forget where you are and look forward to where you'll go. You WILL lose the weight if you put your mind to it! Good luck!
  • chubbychristianchick
    chubbychristianchick Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It happens! The good news is now you know. Now you can fix it! Weight is not as easily lost as gained but the journey is much more satisfying.
  • skinnybettie
    Options
    Awww, don't be depressed! Ask ANY woman, or man for that matter, and you'll find that we have all had days where we wanted to cry when looking at the scale. You're not alone, and you have the power to change anything you aren't happy with. Every day is an opportunity. I lived most of my young adulthood being 30-50 lbs overweight, and I have finally reached my "ideal weight"for my height and I did it because I believed in myself and kept my head held high. I am on this site so that I can maintain my weight, if not shed a few lbs for the summer months, and to learn from my peers about nutrition and life in general. From your photo I can tell you're a very pretty woman and look great, you just have to get yourself to a point where you FEEL great :) And you will. Best wishes.
  • ritaadkins2002
    ritaadkins2002 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    cheer-up I understand how that could make u feel right now......but here at mfp we are here to help u through all the problems with weight gain. u have acknowledge the problem...and now its time to work on it......lots of people disgards the fact that they have a problem with weight. but u are letting us no that there is a problem. that is good. we will motivate u and u can motivate us. just remember that u are special and u can do this. I have faith in yu:happy:
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    TODAY is the first day of the rest of your life
    The past can't be changed & the future is out of our control
    Just eat right & exercise TODAY

love yourself (God doesn't make junk)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    It does kind of sneak up, doesn't it? But you've already made the decision to do something about it (since you're here). You just have the numbers to track your progress. Remember, it took you a while to get to this point, so don't expect it to all come off in a month or two. Slow and steady wins here!

Just come back whenever you need encouragement!
  • sandy729
    sandy729 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    We've all been there...Ask anyone on this site.

I remember how i started. I was depressed because my size 18 pants didn't fit anymore and i cried as I tried to cram myself into them. Then I went to the doctor and I saw how much weight I had gained.

You are here, ready to do something about it. We are here for you and before you know it we will be giving you congrats for reaching your goal.

Your huge MFP family will wipe the tears away and walk with you on your journey. Stay positive!
  • gsnap30
    gsnap30 Posts: 67
    Options
    we have all been there! Chin up! we can help!
  • ♚SuperHeather♚
    Options
    Thank You Everyone! Just in shock! I am so thankful for all the support! Just makes me want to cry! I have committed myself to this lifestyle change and will stick through it! Next week hopefully the scale is good to me!
  • mjmoore8480
    Options
    Heather, I know its hard- been there too! Just try to focus on the reason that you said you joined- to be a good example for your son. I've been trying to focus on that part more than the weight issue- hard, but makes it easier when I think about the more important issue of being a good role model for my kids. I'm just hoping that the weight loss will come along with the healthier lifestyle!! love you!!
  • satimmons
    satimmons Posts: 9
    Options
    I know how you feel. I gained 40 lbs over 4 years. It you want to lose it, MFP is a great way to do it. I've only lost 4 lbs, but I didn't start until a few weeks ago. I would love for the weight to come off quickly, but fad diets don't work. I've tried Atkins and I was successfull at losing some weight, but I was miserable because I couldn't eat bread, pasta and rice etc. So now I'm back to a balanced diet with all the food groups, learning to eat in moderation. With MFP support I'll eventually get there. It took me 4 year to put it on, so it's going to take a while for it to come off. It will happen for you also.
  • paperpusher3
    paperpusher3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Oh, I have been there too. I felt really good about the way that I felt and looked at my sons wedding in 2007. If anyone had told me then that I would put on 45lbs and have creases where I never had them before, I would have laughed in their faces. But that's exactly what happened. I was also disgusted with the weight and the way I look. I've been doing this program for 41 day, lost 11 lbs and an inch each from my waist and hips. I'm starting to see a change in my face and there's a little less jiggle in my walk. It didn't get here overnight and it won't disappear overnight either. I'm taking it one day at a time and I know I'll get there and so will you. Stay positive!