need a "talking to" about exercise 50-60 yo

Options
2»

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm a little younger than you. Nine months ago, at the age of 44, I lost the roulette spin and developed an obesity-exacerbated condition. Basically, because my legs had to carry too much... me... the veins in my lower legs collapsed (refluxed) and my lymphatic system got a bit crushed, leading to cellulitis, lymphedema, and a weeping wound on my leg that required daily nurse visits and multiple courses of antibiotics over a 10-week period to treat. (The one that helped the cellulitis didn't help the lymphedema. They tried a couple of others before finding the right one. And then it took three courses of that right one).

Treatment prescribed? Compression stockings and weight loss.

But what got me to start exercising? Reverse psychology. See, when I had that weeping wound, the doctors told me to stay off the leg as much as possible. Keep it elevated. Don't walk. Take a taxi to the office six blocks away. I hadn't been exercising much, but I still loved to walk (even if I generally 'rewarded' myself with a Chipwich or potato knish afterwards, negating the calorie burns). By the time the vascular surgeon confirmed that it was not only safe for me to walk again but vital... I was champing at the bit.

My condition is treatable, not curable. But I am doing what I can to avoid future flare-ups. This is weight loss. This is exercise. This is my life quality on the line. Oh, and P.S.? I kind of like what it's doing for/to my body.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Walk, walk, then walk some more. Build up gradually, add 5-10 min per week. Visit a nursing home. If that doesn't motivated you, I don't know what will
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    ImKaren768 wrote: »
    I know all these young people are active. I didn't find the category for even less then sedentary when I set up my profile. I'm 59 and have no desire to exercise. BUT, my weight loss is slowing done. So nag me, tell me I can do it...mostly tell me how you get moving!

For me, 'how to get moving' is acceptance that it is up to me to take responsibility for my health - both current and future. And, for me, that means doing the very best I can to be healthy - losing the weight I need/needed to, making healthy but not restrictive food choices, and gaining/maintaining the best fitness level I can.

I also am 59 and will be the first to tell you that doing all of that is no guarantee. I am recovering from major surgery to address a health issue that was totally unexpected and outside of my control. However, I firmly believe that my fitness prior to that surgery was, and continues to be, a huge factor in my recovery. Moving forward, no plans to be 'old'!
  • brentopia
    brentopia Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm going to turn 60 in two months. I was in truly terrible shape two years ago when I determined to lose weight and start progressive weight training. I love it - it makes you feel and look good. This may sound negative... but If you depend on being nagged by others in order to get your act together - you probably never will. Do this for yourself - because YOU want to improve your life. Take charge and just DO IT! You can accomplish more than you think.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread. I'm a 66-yr-old couch potato who is just getting her mind around the idea of becoming fit through exercise. I shouldn't be "mobility impaired" at my age!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    ImKaren768 wrote: »
    I know all these young people are active. I didn't find the category for even less then sedentary when I set up my profile. I'm 59 and have no desire to exercise. BUT, my weight loss is slowing done. So nag me, tell me I can do it...mostly tell me how you get moving!

Nah, nagging doesn't work. You've gotten excellent advice in this thread, but it's up to you to make the decision, and then follow through on that decision.

I'm 58 in 2 weeks and the only thing that's even slowed down my workouts have been the rotator cuff surgery I'm rehabbing from now (still doing lower body weight exercises with the docs blessing though) and the staff infection I had last year - that stopped me dead in my tracks for 3 solid weeks due to the antibiotics I was on, too ill to exercise.

As others have said, I run circles around the younger folks at work and still play sports with nieces and nephews in their 20s.

So, how long do you want to feel like you do? :)
  • bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If you are on Facebook check Adriana Miranda in her 60's and for me I role model of where I want to be in her age :-)
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I didn't start off loving exercise either. In fact, I looked at is a complete chore. I would have rather gone to the dentist or scrubbed the house with a toothbrush than have gone to the gym.

I finally had enough of feeling terrible and looking terrible so I told myself, 30 days straight in the gym for 60 minutes at a minimum. Much to my surprise, I fell in love with it and now am antsy if I haven't gone by 4pm. My world has changed. My outlook, my looks, everything! I think I've missed 8 days since January.

As with anything, talk to your doc about a plan. Check with a nutritionist too. Once you lose ten pounds and feel that accomplishment you'll probably be hooked! Best of luck.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Get a dog and a super awesome playlist and walk outside. It's really amazing how it can change make your life.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people missed your sense of humor, which I love! :D What's with all this SUPER SERIOUS stuff on these responses??? GOOD GRIEF people, lighten up!!
    OK, since you couldn't find a category for less than sedentary, I'll give you one: on the way to a life threatening illness! How's that one? :D That should be motivating. Then you can pick whichever one is seen most in your family: heart attack, diabetes, stroke. If you have a high stress life, plan on one of those in the next year.

How to get moving: well, get a friend, like me, who is in the same boat and has a sense of humor, and work together! I'll be your friend! I'm on here a lot and on Facebook a lot too!! And the best way to get moving: invite people to your house. You will be sweating for HOURS cleaning everything in sight. Add to that some tai chi and some good yoga and in no time you will be more coordinated as well as more limber. It's a GREAT way to start moving. Tai chi burns some of the HIGHEST calories in exercise! Check it out! And the risk for injury is low because the movements are slow and controlled.

So, in summary, find friends, clean house, add at least an hour a day of tai chi and yoga. Of course eat well. You're already starting out with a great first ingredient: a sense of humor.

PS: I had a STROKE at age 49 in front of my classroom of 7th graders. I'm trying to regain my life and I have a long way to go. I speak from experience, and I know that it can help you. <3

Nothing wrong with tai chi but it does not burn some of the HIGHEST calories in exercise.

A 125-pound person burns about 240 calories in an hour session, while a 155-pound person burns 300 and a 185-pound person burns 356. A tai chi session is about the equivalent, in terms of calorie burning, as an hourlong walk done at 3.5 mph.

Source:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/424966-calories-burned-by-tai-chi/

Swimming, running, cross country skiing burn substantially more calories for a given time period.