When they say Green Tea helps with Weight Loss?

Options
I drink it regardless, i like it (with a touch of lemon)! Has anyone noticed the benefits from it? how much you consuming? how much should you consume for its effects to be worth it?

Looking forward to the responses
Thanks

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    It tastes nice and has caffeine. Those are it's benefits. Depending on how much you like it, will determine how much you drink. There are no benefits to weight loss, unless you are substituting green tea for high calorie drinks without increasing food intake.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Another potential benefit (although you get the same benefit from any very-low-calorie drink) is to keep your mouth and hands busy. I drink hot tea between eating times which cuts down on my desire to graze.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The only help for me, is that like any other beverage in big quantities,it makes me full. so i can buy a 1.5l bottle of zero cal. ice tea, or i can make me a couple of cups of hot tea, drink all of it and i won't be hungry..I 'm also not a big water drinker, so it helps me pee.A lot.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Drink it if you like it, but any weight loss benefits don't appear to be statistically significant.

http://www.cochrane.org/CD008650/ENDOC_green-tea-for-weight-loss-and-weight-maintenance-in-overweight-or-obese-adults
  • fitgymbunny
    fitgymbunny Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I drink it. I like it but don't particularly see weight loss benefits. I think they must be so minor that it's impossible to tell. If you drink drinks with calories they obviously are good as a substitute for anything that has calories. I don't though--only green tea, ice tea unsweetened or water. One thing I would say is that making small changes like substituting green tea as your drink of choice contributes to you having a perception of yourself as a "Healthy Eater" or "Maker of Healthy Choices". Changing your mindset to this via a choice like green tea lets you build and layer other good choices because it helps you form a perception of yourself that supports your goals. To me, that's been one of the most healthy things. Also if you want to keep enjoying going to coffee places with friends or a part of your morning routine, it's a great substitute where you can feel like you are still participating in life without being restricting because you are trying to lose weight--I think stuff like this sets us up for long term success.

BTW, they say that caffeine is good before a workout or slightly up metabolism in general. In my body's experience, that has been true.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I sometimes drink green tea with mint but it doesn't have any affect on my weight because it's not replacing calories.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    When people say that, they're generally talking out of their earhole.

If it had any such effect, it would have to be licenced as a drug. Think about how dangerous that would be! It would be contraindicated for people who are low body weight, the elderly, pregnant women, there would be interactions with medication... causing a person to lose weight above and beyond a calorie deficit is a major physiological effect. We would know about it.
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The only thing slightly possible link I've seen between green tea and weight loss is that the caffeine can make your heart pump faster, using more energy, burning more calories. No clue if that's legit though.
    I like hot drinks because they satiate boredom hunger, so that is how it helps my weight loss
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Another potential benefit (although you get the same benefit from any very-low-calorie drink) is to keep your mouth and hands busy. I drink hot tea between eating times which cuts down on my desire to graze.

Mouth and hands? Well that sounds interesting
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    For the caffeine effect to work, it would have to be a dangerously high dose, having similar effects to amphetamines. Just raising the heart rate a little without increasing the work you're doing makes no significant difference, that's just revving in neutral.
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It gives me energy
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The first person who recommended this mysterious thing I'd never heard of called "green tea" to me was a Chinese engineer I worked with back in 1983. I was early-20's, high 200's and he was a trim 50-year-old guy. He was quite enthusiastic in advising me to walk a mile in the evenings and drink a cup of green tea afterward. I bought a box of green tea bags several years ago and still have it. I'm now the trim 55-year-old guy but I'd bet money he's still alive. I should look him up. There can't be too many Chens in the world, right?

It's known to have anti-oxidant compounds. The supplement labeled "Green Tea Extract" cuts to the chase and has only those compounds.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Which is great. I'm sure it's good for you in a variety of ways. But anti-oxidants don't make you lose weight.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I drink it when I'm getting hungry between breakfast and lunch. Yeah, I'm still hungry but it takes the edge off so that I don't eat my desk and I make it to lunch.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I drink 2-3 cups per day when I'm taking a break from coffee. It has no effect on my weight.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    The benefit is that you are drinking green tea instead of a higher calorie drink and you are staying hydrated which can help control hunger. And it has a bit of caffeine which gives you an energy boost, although as teas go it's fairly low in caffeine.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Honestly the only way it would help you lose weight is when you are drinking it, you don't eat/drink higher calorie things. I tend to drink a ton of it at my desk at work to keep me from bored eating, where as before I'd just eat something.