Need help with squat form

Options
I have been lifting for about 8 years. I have been having trouble with my squat. I am able to squat heavy but can not seem to get completely parallel. I have no trouble picking the weight up or actually squating it. I am about a inch above parallel. I spoke to a trainer and he said that the problem may be that my ankle flexibility is not flexible enough. He said that my form is perfect though. I was wanting some input from different people. Has anybody experience this before or that could help. I also have a problem of leaning forward but keeping a big chest and head up.

Replies

• Ninebubblewaters
    Ninebubblewaters Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've been watching Alan thrall videos. He just put on a new squat video. I have a similar issue! Just got the Adidas powerlifting shoes. I am hoping it helps with balance and mobility
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Smidge22 wrote: »
    leaning forward but keeping a big chest and head up.

i suck at getting consistent form for my squats, after three years and counting. but one helpful thing i can't always get my body to do is unlock my knees and commit the weight into my leg muscles before i initiate, especially the lateral hamstrings and of course glutes. dk why it helps, dk what it changes, but i feel like i don't taco as much when i do. lat engagement is another thing i find useful; i pull the bar 'down' my back (except not really of course). getting stuck above parallel sometimes resolves for me with a little more conscious knees-out so there's room to drop my hips 'through' the hole.

but i also broke down and bought the squat shoes after someone demonstrated to me how my left ankle just plain does not bend far enough.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If you lower the weight, or don't use any weight at all and just do bodyweight squats can you get at or below parallel? I would just say that just because you're not squatting ATG doesn't mean you aren't still benefiting from it. If your ankles are preventing you from going parallel or lower I just wouldn't push it, some people's bodies (my own included) just can't safely go that low.
  • BigNate17
    BigNate17 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same issue due to the fact my ankles are about as flexible as steel.

There are a lot of videos on YouTube on improving ankle flexibility which helped me. In the meantime while you are working on that, you can add 5lb plates on your heels when you squat which will help you squat depth.

I bought Addi Powers shoes as well which definitely helped.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    are you squatting in cross trainers?
  • mcraw75
    mcraw75 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Can you post a video of your squats so everyone can see?
  • Smidge22
    Smidge22 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    How do I post a video on here
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    How do I post a video on here
    Most post it on youtube first, then copy and paste it here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting for about 8 years. I have been having trouble with my squat. I am able to squat heavy but can not seem to get completely parallel. I have no trouble picking the weight up or actually squating it. I am about a inch above parallel. I spoke to a trainer and he said that the problem may be that my ankle flexibility is not flexible enough. He said that my form is perfect though. I was wanting some input from different people. Has anybody experience this before or that could help. I also have a problem of leaning forward but keeping a big chest and head up.

If you are not going past parallel, that's not a squat. Lower the weight, even if you just do body weight squats. Work on form first, then weight. I would seriously question a trainer that doesn't know that in order for a squat to be considered a squat, you have to past parallel.
  • Smidge22
    Options
    That is the thing though. It is a inch above parallel. The weight is fine I can pick it up and squat it for 15 reps but I seem to always get a inch above what seems parallel. It may have to do with the way my lower body us built too. We're my legs are shorter than my torso.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    As others asked - can you hit parallel with lighter loads? Can you hit parallel with that weight for one rep, but not multiple reps? It might be flexibility, it might be that you just need to alter your stance some*, or it could be something else entirely. As also mentioned, post videos - one from the side, one from the back (or front) to youtube or instagram and put the links here.

* I relatively recently found that I had to narrow my stance a little in order to assure I hit parallel consistently. I also found that I sometimes - on higher rep sets - cut a rep or two a little short in the beginning, as I mentally screw myself by thinking that I have to conserve some energy for more reps, although I can bang out one rep at higher weights easily.
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I've been watching Alan thrall videos. He just put on a new squat video. I have a similar issue! Just got the Adidas powerlifting shoes. I am hoping it helps with balance and mobility

He's the bomb. And so beardy
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If ankles not flexible enough - might try either a slightly wider stance, or toes/knees pointing more outwards so the ankle doesn't have to bend as much.

Those solutions didn't work for me as it hurt knees more, so I needed 1/4 inch heel lift suggested above, so just have board now.
    Oh, and my attempts to keep at doing it the "right" way caused all sorts of imbalances in the most injury prone down position and achilles issue knocked me out for months. (I suppose trying to keep up with running/biking perhaps didn't help either though)

So a video straight from side pointing to bar path (mid-foot), and from behind (to see shifts to the side) will be very useful for your review.

And ignore people saying it's not a squat because it would not pass powerlifting competition. How narrow minded.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    All of this is pure speculation until we see a video- or several.

• PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    As a powerlifter, I have to go below parallel and I was having issues being consistent. I bought lifting shoes, did hip and ankle mobility, box squats, belt squats etc. I was barely able to get through the 2 meets I competed in, but as soon as I got back in the gym, somehow the squat that got me 3 white lights was gone. So I decided to find a coach, someone impartial to look at my form. He made some minor adjustments and things seems to be going well so far. Maybe check around for a lifting coach, if you train with other lifters, they may know someone, that's how I found mine.
  • Smidge22
    Options
    I have a lifting coach and also i am friends with 15 or more trainers. I will get the video up as soon as i can can.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    BabyBear76 wrote: »

If you are not going past parallel, that's not a squat. Lower the weight, even if you just do body weight squats. Work on form first, then weight. I would seriously question a trainer that doesn't know that in order for a squat to be considered a squat, you have to past parallel.

I'm not expert, but I don't know if I agree with the above statement. Past Parallel can actually mess up your knees if not careful and using heavy weight which you should do with squats, well not too heavy or you can hurt yourself.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    BabyBear76 wrote: »

I'm not expert, but I don't know if I agree with the above statement. Past Parallel can actually mess up your knees if not careful and using heavy weight which you should do with squats, well not too heavy or you can hurt yourself.

That's exactly backwards. Past Parallel protects your knees by engaging the support muscles instead of just the quads.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    oh ok. thanks!
  • Smidge22
    Options
    Actually past parallel is not good when using heavy weight and low rep. It is ok when doing high rep. 405 past parallel can cause internal pains even if it is a warm up or is light for you