Advice for a new runner?

Options
Can anyone give me some advice to start out running. I'm okay in the gym on a treadmill fast walk/jogging but find outdoor running daunting. I'm going to start small and do the couch to 5k program on the seafront. Any advice?

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is a great program. Stick to it and don't try to do more than it suggests. Take it slow (very slow) - you should be able to sing while you run. If your breathing is labored, you are going too fast.

Keep you strides short and land under your body (not in front). Stand tall (don't bend at the waist). And consider getting decent shoes from a real running store where they can watch you run and make recommendations.

Good luck.
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Running on the road will be harder than treadmill, be ready for that. Couch to 5k is excellent. Keep at it, don't get disheartened. If you need to repeat some runs to nail it, don't be afraid to do that. Running is mostly a mental activity, unless you're in genuine pain or can't breath, you're ok!
    I started with the C25k, my last race was a 10 mile which I completed in under 2 hours. I've lost 40lb running. Good luck!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Can anyone give me some advice to start out running. I'm okay in the gym on a treadmill fast walk/jogging but find outdoor running daunting. I'm going to start small and do the couch to 5k program on the seafront. Any advice?

Get fit for some decent running shoes & enjoy!
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Good shoes, good sports bra ( trust me) . And start small, the couch to 5 km is great, don't over train, if it says 3x a week then only do it three times per week. Get a running partner, you are much more likely to get out consistently if some one is waiting for you.

And have fun!

• tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If you are running on a treadmill, set the incline over 2-4% , my running coach told me lower than 2% and the treadmill is doing the work for you.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,681 Member
    Options
    I find the TM much harder than running outside. I have one, but only use it when the weather forces me inside. Outside I am constantly adjusting to terrain. I can speed up or slow down easily. With the TM the relentless motion of the belt forces me to maintain a certain pace. My easy pace is about a minute slower on the TM than on the street and I rarely do incline above 2. It isn't necessary and puts more stress on the knees and hamstrings. My outdoor runs give me enough hills to keep my lungs and legs strong. I don't need to do them every day. The old rule of thumb was to maintain an incline of 1% to equal the wind resistance you get when running outdoors. Then studies showed that the wind resistance is only a factor if you are running quite fast. For slow hobby joggers, we don't get that much resistance.
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Go to a local running shoe store and have your gait analyzed by a pro. Good shoes and socks.
    Consider trail running rather than street. The pounding on your joints is less. Imagine the difference between dropping a golf ball on concrete and dropping it on dirt/grass. It's also never the same run twice. The very irregularity of running on trails is less likely to result in repetitive motion injury. Plus, it's usually more scenic.

Slowly ramp. Never more than 10% increase per week MAX.

Consider strength / core work 3X per week to support your running.

Consider doing walk - run splits. 1 min walk + 1 min run. Repeat X times. Or, some easy variation to help you get acclimated to the stress. Strongly recommend this.

Don't be intimidated. Humans were BUILT to run. Running is 100% natural to your body.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    but find outdoor running daunting.

Carry pepper spray - at a minimum for dogs. Don't let music block-out the sounds outdoors - cars, other people, etc. Enjoy your runs.
  • victory68
    victory68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running#latest

This was the best blog I have ever found for new runners. I go back to it pretty frequently
  • victory68
    victory68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Oh and scroll to the first post the comments are great but the original post really has the best info
  • sacto68
    sacto68 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I also used the couch to 5k program to start running. Most of the advice that I have had been said, but can always be repeated...

Get fitted for running shoes.
    Do not use any cotton clothing.
    Start your pace slower than you think you should.
    Try to run without music (I always wanted too go with the beat and would go to fast. And it's safer).
    Listen to your body, concentrate on breathing.
    Find your rhythm.
    Do not be afraid of repeating a day.
    Stick with the program.
    Ask all the questions.
    Trust your training!
  • sacto68
    sacto68 Posts: 35 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I forgot a very important one....

HYDRATE!!!