Prep for 5k help please

Options
Hi Everyone. Last time I posted I got a great response. So here goes again. I asked about learning to run at 55. Well I started a program to do this. It's a 12 week program. I am 8 weeks in. I have registered for a 5k run In 4 weeks time. I currently run for 30 minutes at 6 on the treadle. I do intervals at 7 for 3:30 and walk 1:30. I plan to do a 5k parkrun next weekend to see how I go any advice for the preparation before and on the day. Thanks

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Just relax, Parkruns are a no pressure environment.

That said, if you're dreadmilling now then expect running in the real world to present some different challenges around pace control. Avoid going out too fast, just pick a line and stick with it and don't be tempted to dart around people early on.
  • aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Parkrun is a great, supportive environment with people of all levels and abilities running, jogging and walking, so there's absolutely no pressure to run fast - or even to run at all! If you can, take a look at the route in advance to see what the terrain is like, if there's hills etc. I mainly run on the treadmill or road, so the grassy bits of my local parkrun aren't what I'm used to. Make sure you stretch properly beforehand - my ankles can struggle with running outside and on grass especially if I don't stretch them. But just go along, have fun and see how it goes. Don't worry about your time or position. Oh, and make sure you bring your barcode!
  • EllyMayA1
    EllyMayA1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    If you are only running on a treadmill try adding a slight incline to mimic the outside a little better. I don't remember where I read that, but it made sense! I always put at least a 1.0 incline and for longer runs it's significantly harder.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I've gone to parkrun for a few weeks and have yet to run the whole thing. Don't be afraid to walk if you need to - parkrun is all about getting around and feeling good.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Great progress! Just keep working your plan and you'll be fine!
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Do the rest of your training for the next few weeks outside. Treadmill running is very different and you may find you struggle more outside. Get yourself used to the terrain and extra impact. Parkrun is excellent, I absolutely adore it. You get some really quick people there, don't be tempted to try and keep up with them!!