How to get accurate weight reading?

Options
I weight myself on a empty stomach. I weight myself with a digital scale. I place the scale on the floor and get different reading when I move the scale.

The previous owner did not have level flooring so that could be the reason. I want a accurate reading what should I do ?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Don't move the scale
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself wearing the same clothes, on the same scales, at the same location at the same time of day.

Most people go for weighing naked, first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom. Put your scales on the same spot on a hard floor (not carpeted).

Your "real" weight is a range anyway so don't stress too hard.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Definitely redo the floor, you can't be living with uneven floors!
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Don't move the scale. I have two digital scales. Every time I move them, I need to recalibrate. I do so by weighing something I know the weight of, like dumbbells. I usually only need to weigh the item two or three times to get the correct weight. From there, as long as I do not move the scale, weight readings are consistent.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    I measured 3.4 litres of milk , the weigh was coming as 3.6 kg. I think it 3.4 litres of milk without the weight of the bottle which could be 2 lb. The weight was somewhat accurate in the locations I tried.
    I moved the scale to different places and for the same reading.

I think It is clear that I am using it correctly.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    So it may just be weight fluctuation, which is quite normal and nothing to worry about.

You can still have a scale error which won't show up weighing something as small as a jug of milk but will show when weighing yourself. Try not to worry too much. Unless you're going to pay a lot of money for a high end calibrated scale, it's just something you have to live with. Your precise weight on any one day isn't what matters, anyway - it's the overall trend.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at this?

It's pretty simple. Don't move the scale if you can avoid it. Use the calibration routine when you do (usually step on to turn the scale on, and step off to let it read zero). Weigh yourself at a consistent time of day, many people do it in the morning after waking up and using the bathroom and before eating anything. Weigh yourself wearing a consistent amount of clothing.

As long as your scale reads consistently, accurate is less meaningful than the trend over time. All scales are going to have some error factor, but it doesn't matter since your body weight varies as much as the typical error factor anyway.

Set a solid routine and don't major in the minors.
  • Kayak_Fisherman
    Kayak_Fisherman Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know that my scales are not the most accurate. I now weigh myself five times and take the average as my weight.
    As long as the weight is heading in the right direction (down) then I am happy.....
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Also, scales are not 100% accurate. If a scale is 99.8% accurate, which is pretty darn good, and you weigh 200 pounds, your reading can vary by almost a pound each time you weigh yourself just due to the error. The scale could show any where from 199.6 to 200.4 lbs with a 99.8% precision.
  • atkinsonkieron
    atkinsonkieron Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use fitbit aria, the variation also occurs on these scales, it can differ depending on floor surface. what i do is leave them in the bathroom in the same spot, and then weigh myself a couple of times, let it calculate and in the fitbit app i take the value in the middle and delete the others then myfitnesspal syncs with the latest value left by fitbit
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Definitely redo the floor, you can't be living with uneven floors!

Home reno, FTW!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I measured 3.4 litres of milk , the weigh was coming as 3.6 kg. I think it 3.4 litres of milk without the weight of the bottle which could be 2 lb. The weight was somewhat accurate in the locations I tried.
    I moved the scale to different places and for the same reading.

I think It is clear that I am using it correctly.

Don't weigh milk, weigh water when calibrating a scale.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Do you go to a doctor's office on a schedule or do you belong to a gym? One way to get a feel for your scale's accuracy is to weigh yourself just before you walk out the door, then weigh yourself wearing the same things as soon as you arrive. Do this a couple of times and you will get a feel for whether or not your scale is doing funny things.

Otherwise:
    1. put the scale someplace on a hard floor and do not move it.
    2. before finding the permanent spot, take out the batteries, fully clean the scale, and put the batteries back in
    3. weigh once, step off, let the scale turn off, and weigh again. This helps it calibrate
    4. weigh at the same time of day wearing the same clothing. Naked, in the morning, after the toilet but before the coffee is the time that will bring the most consistency
    5. DO NOT MOVE YOUR SCALE
  • TheChaoticBuffalo
    TheChaoticBuffalo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Accurate is an elusive thing to define. Consistency is much more important because that's what shows you how your trending in your weight-loss endeavors. Consistency comes from weighing yourself in the same setting every time you weigh; scale in the same place, you in the same state of dress or undress, same time of day, and you at the same level of onboard food and liquids every time you step on the scale.