Why do SO mean gaining weight??

Options
So I've been yo-yo dieting since the age of 12. I am now 46. Lost 50 pounds, then gain back 30, lose 40, gain back 30, etc... but in my later years, what I noticed is that when I would start dating, the weight would creep up. Going out to nice restaurants or drinks, would make it impossible to maintain my weight. I seem to do better when I am single, not having to watch my S.O. eat burgers and fries while I munch on a salad. So not fair!! Am I alone?

Replies

• SephiraAllen
    SephiraAllen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you are going out a lot, make sure you are looking for the healthier choices on the menu (or find restaurants that offer better choices). Ask for sauces and dressings on the side, so you can dip your food, rather than having it come slathered in them. Limit alcoholic drinks and/or do some extra exercise on those days to help make up for the excess calories. It's hard, but there are ways to minimize the impact. I usually research menus before I go so I know in advance what my options are and how it all fits in with my daily goals.

Alternatively, look for date locations that don't involve food.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Are there any options for you besides salad? For example, my friends took me out to a Middle-Eastern restaurant a while back. I checked their menu, saw some things I thought could work, and emailed the restaurant to ask. I mentioned that I was watching my weight and looking at lower-calorie/healthier options. They replied quickly and confirmed that they could make certain adaptations. Their shakshuka normally comes in a bread bowl, but they'd bring it in a skillet. The grilled eggplant comes with a tehina sauce, but it could be served on the side.

Vegetarian pizza can fit my calories pretty neatly most of the time.

Generally, when I know I'm going out, I make sure I have time to exercise and I try to eat a little less during the day to give me a cushion.
  • ashbabe25
    ashbabe25 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My bf is lazy. He doesn't care to exercise. At. All. I'm doing this for me. My grandma was thin until she got older and I refuse to let genetics get the best of me.

I cook the family meals so I at least make sure the three of us eat healthy.
  • charris151
    charris151 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For the first time in my life, I started dating someone who enjoys healthy foods, no alcohol, and exercise and I am losing weight instead of gaining. What a life changer!
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Dump him.
    Problem solved
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Oh....and nothing is impossible.
    Self control and planning is the key.
    Good luck.
  • propstome
    propstome Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great suggestions, well wishes and some chuckles!