H2O WTF?

Options
MissAnjy
MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
Okay, here's my issue!

I drink between 10-12 cups of water a day. My minimum intake is 64oz, but it's usually much more!

The other day, I wokeup in the morning completely dehydrated. I looked at my sodium and thought, hmph, must have been the problem.

Next day, I kept my sodium low, but drank a glass of wine before bed. I wokeup completely dehydrated and thought, hmph, must have been the wine.

So I experimented. I kept my sodium on the lower end (in the green), I did NOT drink wine, and I woke up in the morning SO parched that I could hardly swallow.

WTH is this!? I drank 96oz of water, why am I waking up so dehydrated every morning?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Okay, here's my issue!

I drink between 10-12 cups of water a day. My minimum intake is 64oz, but it's usually much more!

The other day, I wokeup in the morning completely dehydrated. I looked at my sodium and thought, hmph, must have been the problem.

Next day, I kept my sodium low, but drank a glass of wine before bed. I wokeup completely dehydrated and thought, hmph, must have been the wine.

So I experimented. I kept my sodium on the lower end (in the green), I did NOT drink wine, and I woke up in the morning SO parched that I could hardly swallow.

WTH is this!? I drank 96oz of water, why am I waking up so dehydrated every morning?
    How much are you going to the bathroom? Also, sodium helps to retain water in the body (it's not as bad as some make it out to be). And do you sweat alot?
  • MysticMoon
    MysticMoon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously scared your drinking way too much water, your diluting your sodium and potassium and everything else!!! I would go and see a doctor, you can drown your brain you know by drinking too much water, fluid build up on the brain and it has no where to swell.

Pls stop! Make sure you start logging it , when you go to the toilet and how much your sweating too and take the info to the doctors.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but pls go!
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    You were probably alseep with your mouth wide open, that will always dry the lips and mouth out and make you feel thirsty as hell. when you wake up
  • phinners
    Options
    lol @ drown your brain. That made me chuckle.

Water intoxication
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    I'm seriously scared your drinking way too much water, your diluting your sodium and potassium and everything else!!! I would go and see a doctor, you can drown your brain you know by drinking too much water, fluid build up on the brain and it has no where to swell.

Shes only drinking 1.5 gallons a day, and if your excersising and sweating thats how much you should be. Plus, what peice of medical documentation are you looking at which says you can "drown your brain" by drinking too much water?
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    You were probably alseep with your mouth wide open, that will always dry the lips and mouth out and make you feel thirsty as hell. when you wake up

This is my guess. 10-12 cups is only 3 liters... that's not too much water, that's a lot less than some people drink. I can easily drink 3 liters a day.
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    First of all, I don't believe you're drinking way too much. I drink a gallon of water a day, and yes you can cause issues if you drink too much but it'd take an obscene amount of water to cause that. It could just be like someone said, if you sleep with your mouth open or something like that. I wouldn't really be worried about it.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're drinking too much water either!! i drink nearly a gallon each day. Id also go with maybe sleeping with your mouth open. I know for me, I get dry when the heat or AC runs a lot and its been so hot here (90 with over 100 with the heat index) I get dry all the time.
  • phinners
    Options

Shes only drinking 1.5 gallons a day, and if your excersising and sweating thats how much you should be. Plus, what peice of medical documentation are you looking at which says you can "drown your brain" by drinking too much water?
    She means the condition called water intoxication, which is well documented and does happen. It's how Leah Betts died (she was a young teen from the UK who took drugs and raved all nightt and drank so much water that she died from it - it was well known here).
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing as drinking too much but the general rule is to drink half your body weight (in pounds) in ounces. Per the OP's sig, she's currently at 155 which would mean 77.5 ounces and she's not quite drinking that much. One gauge is urine color - if it's clear, you might be drinking too much but as long as there's at least a tinge of yellow, you should be ok. Of course some vitamins and meds will tinge your urine so it's not a perfect rule.

Are you running your AC or a fan in your room at night? Or are you stuffed up and breathing out of your mouth more? Both/either will make you feel parched when you wake up. Any chance you're on meds that might dehydrate?

Make sure you're sipping your water, not downing it, so your body can process the fluids correctly.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I am a mouth breather so that could be my issue, but I would have thought that would just give me dry mouth, not dehydration.

I sweat quite a bit during workouts, and I pee frequently while drinking water (which is normal)

I've definitely heard of water intoxication, but I do not believe I'm drinking too much.

I drink to where my body is satisfied. Usually 10 cups a day, which is within normal limits. I don't get headaches, etc (which I would have with water intoxication).

I'm not too WORRIED per se, I'm just confused! I drink enough water, I should not be dehydrated.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, but it's soo hot here, i suspect i'm losing more through evaporation than i am accounting for. I typically drink 8-10 glasses of water a day, and another 10-12 ounces for every hour i exercise. I keep a water bottle by the bed, and still wake up parched.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I am a mouth breather so that could be my issue, but I would have thought that would just give me dry mouth, not dehydration.

I sweat quite a bit during workouts, and I pee frequently while drinking water (which is normal)

I've definitely heard of water intoxication, but I do not believe I'm drinking too much.

I drink to where my body is satisfied. Usually 10 cups a day, which is within normal limits. I don't get headaches, etc (which I would have with water intoxication).

I'm not too WORRIED per se, I'm just confused! I drink enough water, I should not be dehydrated.

You lose a lot more water through expiration than you think. Even if you never went to the bathroom or sweat during the day, you'd still need water because you lose moisture through breathing. Mouth breathing is definitely a lot more inefficient at maintaining moisture levels than normal breathing.
  • Pridgenization
    Pridgenization Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I drink a ton of water and sometimes have the same problem. It is possible to become dehydrated while drinking a lot of water. It has to do with having enough eloctrolytes. My friend's little boy just had to be taken to the ER after spending the day on the ballfield. My friend kept pumping him full of water, but no Gatorade or Powerade. If you don't want to drink Pedialyte, Gatorade or Powerade, I have heard that some people put a little sale and lemon in their water.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I dehydrate super easily. I drink tons of water but also need a lot of salt, more than most people. I certainly don't know why you're experiencing this, but when I wake up, my fingers are usually a bit puffy, and I'm already dehydrated a little bit.
  • Kguide
    Kguide Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You can Overdose on water and it does cause death but its incredible hard to do. I saw a legalize marijuana add that read "Which one can you Overdose on H2O or Marijuana?
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    You can Overdose on water and it does cause death but its incredible hard to do.
    Definitely. Near impossible. As long as you're not drinking a huge amount of water all at one time, you'll be fine. You need to spread out your daily water intake. Don't guzzle a gallon first thing in the morning.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Sure...if you only drank water and ate nothing all day....or were exercising for hours and hours without eating or taking in vitamins and minerals.... then you are subject to Hyponatremia and Water toxicity..... but if you did that then you deserve the consequences, and also a Darwin award!

Common sense people! Just because there is a medical condition for something doesn't mean it is remotely likely for the 'average Joe' to succumb to it without being incredibly foolish. Drink up! And if you are working out, Drink even more!!!