Awkward...what do ya say?

Options
13»

Replies

• wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    I'll be bruttaly honest and say I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!

I'm with you! I'm thinking about getting a button, "Hi, my name is...I've lost 18 inches thanks!"

Those compliments have forced me to walk past the chicken wings on more than one occasion.
  • imustbegood
    imustbegood Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel - it does feel good but I do feel like running and hiding....
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    On average since they are less emotional, if someone were to ask them a question like that, they would answer and not be bothered by it or even think twice. If you ask most men their weight, they will usually just tell you

Yup. For the longest time my wife refused to tell me her weight. To me, this was completely illogical and irrelevant. It's just a number.

I think the bottom line is some people are super self-conscious about their weight, and so when people comment on it in any way, they instantly feel super-defensive about it.

And, like was said, some people just can't take a compliment. You say, "Wow, you look nice today!", and some people will think, "Gee, did I look ugly yesterday?"
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I think part of the resentment expressed here is not over the fact that people are noticing you have lost weight, but the corollary here that means they noticed when you were fat.

This is extremely true! My boyfriend once told me during my (still continuing) weight loss journey that 'I was looking really good'. I was upset by this... so I didn't look good before?? He was shocked by my reaction. He said to me he thought I was drop dead gorgeous on our very first date and he was the most nervous he had ever been around anyone. He clarified his statement, that he was very attracted to me the first time we met, and didn't even notice I was over weight, BUT the more I was working out and losing weight the more confident I became. When people are more confident, they do appear more attractive. He also said this: "you think I am good looking now, and are attracted to me now, right? of course I said yes.. "well, if I started lifting heavier weights and more often, and started building more muscle, and became way more confident with myself and I felt sexier, don't you think you would find me sexier and better looking too?"... and of course my answer was yes. When you look at it from that perspective, people aren't pointing out the fact you were FAT and now you aren't, they are just acknowledging the fact you have been working hard and look great! Nothing about their comments means they thought you looked bad (I mean, obviously in most situations people don't, there will always be jerks out there). It is just like what I learned in logic class.. "Tommy lost weight because Tommy was fat. Therefore everyone who looses weight was fat"... false. If someone says "oh wow, how much weight have you lost" does not imply "wow you used to be fat (or fatter, or ugly)". Relish in the fact you look better and feel better, and that people are noticing =)

Will you marry me, b/c I think you are awesome in your responses!!! ;)
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    And, like was said, some people just can't take a compliment. You say, "Wow, you look nice today!", and some people will think, "Gee, did I look ugly yesterday?"

haha so true!!
  • Goal4Good
    Goal4Good Posts: 115
    Options
    I went to a company event one time. I had not seen some of my husband's business associates in like 8 months or so and I had lost 30 lbs in that amount of time. I had forgotten about it but when I walked in, one of the guys just yelled out, "Damnnnnnnnn Girl!!!! You lost a TON of weight!!!" (First of all, I did NOT lose a TON of weight.) I lost 30 lbs! so my first thought was, Okay, every person here, that has never met me before, now thinks I used to be obesely overweight. I started to tell him I'd be happy to give him my meal plan for his own use (since he was like 80 pounds overweight) but I bit my lip.

Instead, I shook the ill timed and rather dumbass comment off, smiled and took it for the compliment this idiot actually intended it to be. But his choice of words and making me the center of attention really did surprise and embarrass me. Later on he told my husband I was super sexy and he better watch me like a hawk. (His second stupid comment of the evening.) First I was obese, and now I had the potential to become a "cheat". Some guys just don't get it!!! But I figure he didn't have a clue how he came across.
    Sometimes you just have to overlook people. They don't realize half the crap they say!!!
  • dkb228
    dkb228 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhere between liking the attention and not. It really depends on who's making comments or asking me about it. When friends and family notice, I love it! When my annoying, jealous, overweight coworker makes comments and jokes about trying to force me to eat to sabotage my weight loss success, not so much. I usually give vague answers when I'm uncomfortable with the attention. This way they get their answers and leave me alone. Lol
  • laurabarrett79
    laurabarrett79 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I went to a company event one time. I had not seen some of my husband's business associates in like 8 months or so and I had lost 30 lbs in that amount of time. I had forgotten about it but when I walked in, one of the guys just yelled out, "Damnnnnnnnn Girl!!!! You lost a TON of weight!!!" (First of all, I did NOT lose a TON of weight.) I lost 30 lbs! so my first thought was, Okay, every person here, that has never met me before, now thinks I used to be obesely overweight. I started to tell him I'd be happy to give him my meal plan for his own use (since he was like 80 pounds overweight) but I bit my lip.

Instead, I shook the ill timed and rather dumbass comment off, smiled and took it for the compliment this idiot actually intended it to be. But his choice of words and making me the center of attention really did surprise and embarrass me. Later on he told my husband I was super sexy and he better watch me like a hawk. (His second stupid comment of the evening.) First I was obese, and now I had the potential to become a "cheat". Some guys just don't get it!!! But I figure he didn't have a clue how he came across.
    Sometimes you just have to overlook people. They don't realize half the crap they say!!!

Totally hear ya! Great job with your success though:)
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options
    If it really makes you uncomfortable, the thing that works is diverting attention away from what grabbed their attention. The question grabbed the whole table's attention (or in his case, your weight loss.)

So just throw em a curve.
    "Wow have you lost weight?"
    "YES! Bulimia has worked absolute wonders."

cricket. cricket.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I just tell them, "Well, I've lost some, but I've got a long way to go" or "I'm x% of my goal"
  • laurabarrett79
    laurabarrett79 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If it really makes you uncomfortable, the thing that works is diverting attention away from what grabbed their attention. The question grabbed the whole table's attention (or in his case, your weight loss.)

So just throw em a curve.
    "Wow have you lost weight?"
    "YES! Bulimia has worked absolute wonders."

cricket. cricket.

Yeah, awkward moment numero deuce. Not sure if I'm that witty.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!