5K Race Anxiety?

Options
I have completed C25K TWICE. The first time I did it mostly on treadmill as I started in late winter. I found when I went outside I struggled despite being able to do each week/day on the treadmill. I did the entire program again only outside. Now my issue is different. At the park I usually go to I can complete the final day of Couch to 5K without stopping-at least 35-45mins. . I have done it multiple times at the park where I train at-but when I get in the actual race I don't know what happens. I try to pace myself but I always have to stop and walk which frustrates. me. I have no concern about speed at all but for some reason I get winded and just start walking. I really do just want to complete it running straight through but don't know how to get over worrying about those around me-I am super slow so when walkers start to catch up to me I think it makes me speed up...any advice is appreciated. I'm starting to think I am only cut out to be a walker which isn't a bad thing...

Replies

• jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I use the Map My Run app, and have it set to give me pace notifications every quarter mile. There are options for more frequent reminders also I think. It helps me know if I need to speed up or slow down because running with other people messes with my ability to regulate my own pace. Perhaps something like that might help you keep pace as well.

Also keep running the 3 mile distance on your own regularly, make sure to change up where you run to include different terrain, hills, grass, concrete etc, and give it time.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    caramel827 wrote: »
    I try to pace myself but I always have to stop and walk which frustrates. me. I have no concern about speed at all but for some reason I get winded and just start walking.

You're going out too fast. It's a common issue.

Moderate your pace early on, it's easy to get caught up in the start and go too fast, leading to burning out.

In terms of training, you'd benefit from increasing your maximum distance as well, which will give you more capacity. Try moving on to a 10K training plan, and you'll find your 5K pace improves.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Start out slower in the beginning regardless of how good you feel, how excited you are, or how fast everyone else is going.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    A 5k in 35-45 minutes isn't extremely slow, by the way. You mention anxiety in your post, do you feel it at the race?? Slowing down is a great idea but if your heart is thumping and you're stressing out, my guess is that is why you have to stop to walk. (Who wouldn't??)

While maintaining pace is important, so much of running happens in your head. Can you come up with something you'll tell yourself at race day while you run, or something you can sing/say in your head or whatever to help calm down? I'm no expert, so I don't have a million ideas; but when I have anxiety sometimes focusing my attention in this way helps alleviate it. I do the same thing when I want to stop running, basically just talk myself out of it. Or maybe you can try running in a group or with a friend ahead of time. Also, if you don't already, make an awesome playlist and run with headphones. All of these things should help put the focus back on you and your run, and off of the other people.
  • caramel827
    caramel827 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    jaymijones wrote: »
    I use the Map My Run app, and have it set to give me pace notifications every quarter mile. There are options for more frequent reminders also I think. It helps me know if I need to speed up or slow down because running with other people messes with my ability to regulate my own pace. Perhaps something like that might help you keep pace as well.

Also keep running the 3 mile distance on your own regularly, make sure to change up where you run to include different terrain, hills, grass, concrete etc, and give it time.

Thank you! That is great advice! I haven't tried that App yet so I will look into it! I have a 5K this Saturday so I will start using the app tomorrow!
  • caramel827
    Options
    I try to pace myself but I always have to stop and walk which frustrates. me. I have no concern about speed at all but for some reason I get winded and just start walking.

Moderate your pace early on, it's easy to get caught up in the start and go too fast, leading to burning out.

In terms of training, you'd benefit from increasing your maximum distance as well, which will give you more capacity. Try moving on to a 10K training plan, and you'll find your 5K pace improves.

The thought of a 10K seems like such a large lofty goal when I can't complete a 5K in real time-but on the other hand I do get what you are saying! I appreciate you putting that out there! I have exhausted the Couch25Kapp so it makes perfect sense to start the 10K one! Thank you!
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others who say don't get caught up at the start line and start too fast...line up in the back half of the crowd. For your first race, slow and steady throughout is key and finish hard...since it's your first race, it will automatically be a personal record!

That being said, I always felt 'race day magic' and typically the excitement pushed me through and I did better than my training runs.

Have fun!
  • caramel827
    Options
    This is super duper normal and common! Because of the excitement and adrenaline from the race people tend to either accidentally or on purpose run too fast. You just have to find a way to make sure you don't let that happen and control your pace to your normal or sustainable pace. The problem is that when we get to excited and go too fast in the beginning we run out of steam early, since we haven't trained for that pace. This happens to the best of runners, so it has nothing to do with your ability to run, only your ability to control your excitement!

Some tricks that can help are keeping an eye on your pace while training then making sure on race day you keep track of it also and always stay below that, especially for the first two thirds of the race (so watch a device or app that records this). If you don't run with an app or watch jog at a very slow pace. Stop worrying about who is catching up or passing you, I'm assuming your aren't running the race to win it at this point in your training so it's not worth wearing yourself out competing with others. Personally my 5k race pace for the first 2/3 of it is close to the same pace as a walk and the last mile I let myself pick up a faster pace because I know how much energy I still have left.

I have a friend that places first almost every time he runs, second if not first when he doesn't (he is incredible) he once told me he always laughs at the people upfront that are clearly very awesone runners who pass him in the beginning because they start too strong, the saying slow and steady wins the race is pretty accurate!

Edit: He wasn't laughing maliciously, he is one of the nicest people ever. Just to be clear!

Thanks for the reply! And I love the story about your friend! I am slow as a turtle my average is 40mins for 3.1 miles when running alone so I always tell people slow and steady! I also do think I need a new advice if I am serious about running. I have Fitbit Alta but it does not keep pace. For now I will try the app a previous poster mentioned but you are correct I am probably getting into the excitement! Thanks again!
  • caramel827
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    A 5k in 35-45 minutes isn't extremely slow, by the way. You mention anxiety in your post, do you feel it at the race?? Slowing down is a great idea but if your heart is thumping and you're stressing out, my guess is that is why you have to stop to walk. (Who wouldn't??)

While maintaining pace is important, so much of running happens in your head. Can you come up with something you'll tell yourself at race day while you run, or something you can sing/say in your head or whatever to help calm down? I'm no expert, so I don't have a million ideas; but when I have anxiety sometimes focusing my attention in this way helps alleviate it. I do the same thing when I want to stop running, basically just talk myself out of it. Or maybe you can try running in a group or with a friend ahead of time. Also, if you don't already, make an awesome playlist and run with headphones. All of these things should help put the focus back on you and your run, and off of the other people.

After reading your reply I realized I need to correct my original post-which I made late at night lol. I do 3.1 in usually 40 minutes the 35-45 is my dream range lol which is discouraging to me because a person can walk briskly and get that same time. BUT that being said I also need to remind myself of completing not competing right now.....and yes I do feel a touch of anxiety which I think does make me feel like I have to run past people and not let others jog or even worse walk briskly past me. I do use headphones but I haven't tried repeating a mantra. I am absolutely going to add that. I sometimes think I need some side shields so I can't see anyone lol. Even at the park I will go in reverse of the crowd because If I don't I get hung up on the fact that someone walking is ahead of me and how can that be when I am running. I have since changed that because that is another reason I am unsuccessful at races since I haven't simulated people being ahead of me. Thanks so much for the advice and reply!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Look at the low end Garmin Running watches. The Forerunner 25 or 35 are basic good GPS watches. They will show you your pace and have a Virtual Partner that can keep you at a set pace.

I agree about increasing your mileage. When you can run 10k, 5k feels much easier. Perhaps add a day so you're running four days a week instead of 3. The more mileage you are running, the easier it will feel to do 3 miles. You might try running a bit faster on one of your days, while keeping the rest super easy. The slow running will build your endurance. Some faster miles may help your stamina (ability to hold pace.)

I didn't get a GPS watch until I had been running for a couple of years. What I did at races (and still do) is find someone who seems to be running at a pace I can sustain. Then I try to stick with them. If I can't keep up, I'll switch to another runner who is going more slowly. If they are going too slow, I'll pass them and look for someone a short distance ahead who is going at a pace that feels comfortable. If nobody is going at a similar pace, I'll just keep moving forward and make a game out of slowly passing people. My first 5k I spent the whole race trying to keep up and pass a little old lady with short legs who stayed 10 yards ahead the whole way. I ended up finishing about 2 minutes faster than my best training time. My second 5k there was a woman near me with her young son. He kept dashing ahead, then slowing down to a walk. She kept a regular even pace the whole way. I stayed close, then passed them in the last 1/4 mile.
  • caramel827
    Options
    Look at the low end Garmin Running watches. The Forerunner 25 or 35 are basic good GPS watches. They will show you your pace and have a Virtual Partner that can keep you at a set pace.

I agree about increasing your mileage. When you can run 10k, 5k feels much easier. Perhaps add a day so you're running four days a week instead of 3. The more mileage you are running, the easier it will feel to do 3 miles. You might try running a bit faster on one of your days, while keeping the rest super easy. The slow running will build your endurance. Some faster miles may help your stamina (ability to hold pace.)

I didn't get a GPS watch until I had been running for a couple of years. What I did at races (and still do) is find someone who seems to be running at a pace I can sustain. Then I try to stick with them. If I can't keep up, I'll switch to another runner who is going more slowly. If they are going too slow, I'll pass them and look for someone a short distance ahead who is going at a pace that feels comfortable. If nobody is going at a similar pace, I'll just keep moving forward and make a game out of slowly passing people. My first 5k I spent the whole race trying to keep up and pass a little old lady with short legs who stayed 10 yards ahead the whole way. I ended up finishing about 2 minutes faster than my best training time. My second 5k there was a woman near me with her young son. He kept dashing ahead, then slowing down to a walk. She kept a regular even pace the whole way. I stayed close, then passed them in the last 1/4 mile.

I have to admit I am intrigued with starting the 10K app....I appreciate all of your advice very much! I think I may be picking people who clearly have a pace I am not ready for lol. so I will try to take time as you described to select the right one! Thank you so much!
  • sacto68
    sacto68 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Trust your training!!!

Start off slower than you think you should. Let the herd thin out. Go at your own pace. From there you can find someone you can compete against, but only at YOUR own pace. If

Lose the headphones. I know, it sounds tough, but running is about rhythm. You need to find your own. Concentrate on your breathing.

Don't worry about your finish time just yet. Focus on crossing the finish line. Your times will improve over time.

I used C25K as well to start running three years ago. And I was in the same boat as you. Starting to fast, not listening to my body and trying to compete with others, rather than myself.

I'm now training for my first marathon.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds silly but a few days before the race look at the posted race course and run the race course. No really all by yourself as a training day just go do it.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Okay, this is kinda silly. The first 5k I did, was the Incredible Inflatable 5k, because I was so scared of embarrassing myself on a straight run.

After a while I realize, it's like going to the gym. No one is going to think any less of you because you run slower or lift less.

Just try to pace yourself, and remember, finishing a 5k, even if you have to walk part is pretty awesome!
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    all the advice about going slow is excellent go slower then you think you should then go even slower for your first few races. I would think 4 to 5 miles is a good target distance to be able to run before you try running faster.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

The thought of a 10K seems like such a large lofty goal when I can't complete a 5K in real time-but on the other hand I do get what you are saying! I appreciate you putting that out there! I have exhausted the Couch25Kapp so it makes perfect sense to start the 10K one! Thank you!

I found that going from 5K to 10K knocked 4 minutes off my 5K time. Then going up to HM knocked some more off. I now train for marathon and beyond, so am in the realms of diminishing returns, I've lost another minute or so in the last year of that type of training.
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    jaymijones wrote: »

Thank you! That is great advice! I haven't tried that App yet so I will look into it! I have a 5K this Saturday so I will start using the app tomorrow!

I just did my first official 5K last weekend. It was hard not to run faster. I went with a friend who was there to compete, so she wanted to be close to the starting line. I figured I didn't mind letting everyone pass me so I stood near her for the kickoff. The gun sounded and everyone took off, no matter how much I had told myself I didn't mind getting passed, in the moment it was a lot harder to let it happen. I already know I'm a slow runner but having 100+ people pass me in the first 3 minuted actually sucked more than I thought it would (my friend took off at a sprint and I didn't see her till the end). I've been averaging a 12-13 minute mile pace and I did the first mile of that 5k in 10 minutes, because I was trying too hard to keep up with the crowd. I ended up running the whole thing in under 35 minutes (my average before was 40) but that last mile nearly did me in.

Long story short you're not alone, it's normal to want to keep up. I remember that was my least favorite part of the mile run in High School. I knew I couldn't go nearly as fast as most of the kids in my class but the first half a lap where everyone took off and sprinted was the worst. I knew I should slow down but for some reason I just could not do it, and ran my hardest with everyone else until the other slow runners in the class started falling back too.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to go back to the walk/run intervals of Bridge to 10k (I didn't) you might want to check out the One Hour Runner plans. They just slowly add a few minutes at a time to your runs. It's easy to increase when you are only going up 3-5 minutes at a time.
  • caramel827
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    I know this sounds silly but a few days before the race look at the posted race course and run the race course. No really all by yourself as a training day just go do it.

That doesn't sound silly at all and makes sense! I run a predictable route when I train alone so I bet that helps a lot thank you!