Achieving what you cant imagine

Options
How do you achieve something you cant imagine? This is my problem. I realized that is why I've pretty much been *kitten* around for the last 18 months. I cant imagine myself being muscular and lean. Yes I've weighed less than I do now, so I can imagine it but even then I was flabby. I've never been lean in my life and I've certainly never been muscular. Yes, I look at other men and I think "I'd love to have a body like that" but I cant actually imagine my head on that body. I just cant picture it. I have no idea how ...

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    So don't worry about imagining it.
    Take concrete steps that get you closer.
    So you want to be muscular great,start a lifting program. They have a ton of basic lifting programs. I have heard good things about one called starting strength.
    Do a well regarded basic lifting program all the way through. Then go on to the next level. But how you achieve what you can not imagine is to make 1 small step in the right direction every single day.
    How do you eat an elephant?one bite at a time.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I pictured the behaviors rather than the results. When I was an overfat sedentary smoker, I used to visualize myself in my kitchen making a protein shake after my workout, or doing yoga first thing in the morning while the sun came up and how great that would feel. Now I do both, and every day I feel like I have succeeded yet again, even if my body is still not where I'd like it to be. I know as long as I continue to the right things, the results are inevitable, and that feels awesome.

To be honest, I still can't actually visualize myself being as lean and muscular as I want to be, but I trust the process.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much :)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Well, yes and no. If you don't mind a story, I weighed 285. Felt hopeless. Then I got an idea. Go to a cabin far in the north woods with only an exercise machine and enough food to last winter if properly rationed. (This was before Biggest Loser). A looney idea. But I could see it working. I had hope! With that vision I was able to address my problem- it wasn't losing weight, it was living my life.

Looking at your little avatar pic it seems you've lost a lot. Depending on what you're looking for, you may need surgery to address loose skin. If that's not the issue, it's just proper training.

Like noted above, picture the behaviors. Or read old Arnold S. He used to lie in bed trying to feel his muscles growing. He had a bunch of positive thinking techniques. Study until you are 100% convinced you are doing optimal training.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much :)