how to change my weekly routine

Options
Hi all,
in september my daugher is starting high school. That means, for me, reshape my wake up time, availability, and so on, depending on the new needs. I would like to use this as a trigger to review my workout habits.

I'm 46, current weight is 83Kg, and my goal is to gently loose weight to reach 77. Even 1-2Kg a month would be good, provided that it is a constant loose and not a rollercoaster. I don't want to build more muscles mass, just keep my current power.

My current weekly routine is 2 running session of 60 mins a week, which I would like to continue doing also later in the year
and each morning when I wake up (Mon to Fri) a 5 mins sworkit session with no weights , just body (pushups, sitsup, squat, whatever the random feature pops up)

Now... questions is: are these 5 mins usefull? should I maybe do 2 longer sessions instead of 5 short ones?
what about 2 times/week 20 mins?

Further questions: sworkit is proposing 1 exercise a minute. 1 minute stop after 5 execises.
What is the rithm I should target for each exercise? Example: when I do pushups, should I be targeting 20-30 push a minute or 50-60?

Thanks for your help

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Doing daily strength exercises can sometimes lead to overuse injuries. I'd aim for a full body workout every 2-3 days. Somewhere around 3 challenging sets per body part can maintain strength.

It isn't necessary for each set to be a minute long. Take longer if you want, and also take breaks between sets if necessary.

The pace of each rep can vary, but typically around 2 seconds each direction. Fast reps could increase the injury risk.

I haven't used Sworkit but doing random exercises might not be working in your favor. Most of the better programs have some kind of progression, or starting where you left off the last workout. For example, progressing from bodyweight squats to squating with a light weight, and then to a heavier weight (or to a more challenging leg exercise like jumping lunges). Do you have access to any strength equipment? :+1:
  • ziojean
    ziojean Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.
    You raised some good points.

I do not have room for strengh equipments, and also I'm quite far from gyms. This is the reason why I only go for no weight exercise, it allows me to set up my training space in 2 mins wherever I am.
    Any app suggestion could be very usefull.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    To follow up on @Cherimoose's established routine suggestion, have a look at this bodyweight routine that you do 3 non consecutive days a week. The whole site is very informative.
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Cheers, h.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have been using the You Are Your Own Gym app which gives you longer bodyweight programmes - 4-5 a week depending where you are in the programme. I've had good results with it and definitely feel stronger, and it seems to complement my running well (although I made the mistake once of combining leg day and long run day and felt it for pretty much the whole of the next week!)