What could I be allergic to in diet Dr Pepper?

Options
2»

Replies

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to it too! And have no clue why. I don't get hives, but I don't drink more than a sip or two, and usually on accident. I get numb, on my mouth and throat, and if drink too much they swell, especially my lips and I get fishlips.Oy other thing that regularly causes similar issues with me is too much pecan or walnut
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I'm highly allergic to nutmeg. I can't drink Dr. Pepper either but not sure why. I consider it a darker soda and can't drink any of them. I can't drink root beer either.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Update: saw allergist today. She can't be certain which ingredient it was but reccomended that I cut out all dark sodas.
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've never researched all the differences between the two, but I cannot drink diet pepsi products. I can drink regular pepsi products and diet coke products, but diet pepsi products give me hives. I just stay away from diet pepsi stuff. I don't drink much soda though anyways.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    The one thing it is not is the aspartame since you don't have an issue with diet soda in general.

If it's a true allergy (one obvious indication would be if antihistamines help) then you can also cross off any of the small molecules, since small chemicals are effectively invisible to IgE, which is the class of antibody that causes allergies. Agree the natural flavoring is your probable culprit - it would have lots of larger plant proteins, any of which could possibly trigger a reaction.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    The one thing it is not is the aspartame since you don't have an issue with diet soda in general.

If it's a true allergy (one obvious indication would be if antihistamines help) then you can also cross off any of the small molecules, since small chemicals are effectively invisible to IgE, which is the class of antibody that causes allergies. Agree the natural flavoring is your probable culprit - it would have lots of larger plant proteins, any of which could possibly trigger a reaction.

Yes it was a true allergy. Had to take high doses of Benadryl and hydroxizine for the reaction to go away.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    foodblaze wrote: »
    I believe that diet soda is bad for you. Look at all the chemicals used to make it. To have carbonation occasionally I have the La Croix water. Comes in so many flavors and is free of additives.

There are chemicals in everything.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    foodblaze wrote: »
    I believe that diet soda is bad for you. Look at all the chemicals used to make it. To have carbonation occasionally I have the La Croix water. Comes in so many flavors and is free of additives.

Okay, but a "belief" isn't worth much unless it has some grounding in reality. What, specifically, about "chemicals" is bad for us?
  • crawfordcherlyn
    crawfordcherlyn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are you possibly allergic to Latex, bananas, pineapples or kiwi? If that is the case the “birch” in Dr Pepper could be the culprit.
  • Luuv2teech
    Luuv2teech Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to drink diet coke and dt dr pepper however I was suffering from eczema on my arm and my neck. I stopped drinking it and it cleared up and I haven't had any issues since. It's tasty and I miss it, but water is the best way to go :)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    As I read your post I noticed that you said this happens at work.

IF it's canned vs bottled, it's possible that it's a cross contamination or environmental issue.

If it's happening at home and with bottles, then you should probably just cut it out.
  • amyecrabtree
    amyecrabtree Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been allergic to diet Dr Pepper for years. I have now developed an allergy to Diet Coke. Did you ever find out what it was??
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I suggest you all consider all your different, seemingly unrelated reactions and list them. Then show your list to your doctor and hope they are one of the enlightened doctors because there are so many systems involved in our bodies which should interact with each other meaning our bodies needs to be addressed as one entity rather than the multifaceted, problematic, disparate system it now is.

If someone's issues are histamine related taking Benadryl only blocks receptors and supports the increasing levels of histamine in the body amplifying the problem. There are several fruits/veg which can spike overly high histamine level which can result in anything from itching anywhere to hay-fever like symptoms, and every form of digestive issues to name but a few. Its a minefield for the ordinary person to try to navigate, let alone the overworked doctor who works in a dictatorial system.

Histamine intolerance along with difficulties eliminating sulphur, sulphurous foods from the body can be indicative of Mast cell Activation. A condition first named in 2006 or there about. It affects our first line of defence in this chemically polluted world. Our Mast Cells, are strategically placed throughout our bodies where the inside and outside world are likely to meet. Yet many doctors are happy to let many of us suffer. It is thought some 20% of the population can be plagued by this condition. Its not an allergy, its just a series of related issues which if not addressed effectively are or can be debilitating.

Fortunately without the help of my allocated doctor, by reading and joining dots, I'm getting to the bottom of my debilitating issues, yet another "layer off the onion" which I'd not wish on anyone. I'm enjoying life again but still avoiding manmade chemicals like the plague.

Good Luck everyone. I hope your issues remain at not being able to drink Dr. Pepper or similar in the diet or regular form.