3lb/week weight loss

Options
Hi everyone,
I have my goals set to lose 1 lb a week, but the past 2 weeks I have lost 3 lbs a week. I just started up again trying to lose 2 weeks ago. I'm not necessarily complaining, but I'm wondering if this means I need to increase my calories, or should I just wait and attribute it to early-diet water weight?

I'm 5'5", 166 now with a goal of 130, "lightly active" but some days I'm more like sedentary. Calories are set to 1620 but +500 for breastfeeding, so I am eating about 2100 a day. I'm not exercising beyond light walks, since I'm not quite 6 weeks postpartum I am waiting to be cleared by my doctor for exercise. I am usually under, but just barely under my calorie goals. It feels like plenty of food and I feel satisfied, not hungry. I don't want to lose too fast and hurt my milk supply so this is why I want to make sure I'm eating enough. What do you think?

Replies

• timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I had this happen too; not to be discouraging, but it is likely water weight. If you are unintentionally underestimating calories by not weighing accurately, you might lose more than you set out to; but be prepared for the possibility that the 3 lb/wk trend won't hold.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    And it's also post partum weight shedding since you just had a baby.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Water weight plus your body still recovering from the last nine months
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I lost ten lbs my first month of reduced calories - the next ten took six months. Don't stress about it, unless you're finding yourself overly hungry a lot or your milk supply is actually declining.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »
    I had this happen too; not to be discouraging, but it is likely water weight. If you are unintentionally underestimating calories by not weighing accurately, you might lose more than you set out to; but be prepared for the possibility that the 3 lb/wk trend won't hold.

You're not discouraging at all! It's actually kind of reassuring to hear. I would be worried if the 3 lb/week thing did keep going.
    I am happy to be back on mfp and seeing some results (even if they slow down). I was a little afraid someone was going to say this was a sign I needed to stop eating at a deficit at all and wait x amount of months to try to lose weight, or something.
    I lost ten lbs my first month of reduced calories - the next ten took six months. Don't stress about it, unless you're finding yourself overly hungry a lot or your milk supply is actually declining.

Not hungry, my calorie allowance feels like plenty of food for me most days.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Enjcg5 wrote: »
    And it's also post partum weight shedding since you just had a baby.

I did lose a lot of weight without eating at a deficit the first 2 weeks which I attributed to the shedding you speak of. Then I gained 6 lbs of it back, and started counting calories the following week