Might be having surgery in the next month or so-- any ideas on how to maintain/keep fit as I recover

Options
kalchthaleri
kalchthaleri Posts: 231 Member
edited August 2017 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I am really, really hoping to be a living liver donor, possibly in the next month or so. So far the testing has gone really well. The woman who needs the liver is a young mom. So I really hope this works (that my liver is compatible). The thing is, I only have one worry-- that I will gain my weight back after surgery. As some of you know, I have lost 207 lbs through diet and exercise (it took 3 and 1/2 years!) and I just want to keep strong, you know? I am told that I can resume exercise after 4 weeks, but not strenuous. I wouldn't be able to be donating anything had I not lost the weight-
I had diabetes and high blood pressure and sleep trouble and all the rest before, so I am just hoping that out of my new "healthy" life style, someone else can benefit. But I am worried about maintaining after surgery, without my usual exercise. Any experience?

Replies

• Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You are so awesome and incredible. The only suggestion I can offer is to avoid becoming depressed during your recovery. You will hurt and it will be difficult to move. As you said, your prior fitness routines will be put on hold. Perhaps you can explain your situation to your health care provider and they can help with calorie limits or exercises. I have had several surgeries, though none as serious as yours. It was a major effort to even make rounds around the coffee table. After one surgery I didn't have the strength to open a can. So it will certainly be an adjustment. Try to focus on the positive of the gift you're giving and avoid becoming discouraged with a setback in your fitness routine. You are awesome. Please post often on your recovery and progress.
  • My4happykids
    My4happykids Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    exercising after surgery all depends on how fast you recover. Up your protein so your body has the building blocks for repairing things.
    I received a kidney transplant a little over 2 years ago. So thank you for trying to donate even if you aren't approved you have done more than most people. If you can donate but aren't a match you can look at "paired donation" this is where you donate to someone and their non-matching partner donates to the person you signed up with (thus 2 or more people get the liver they need)
    After you are healing nicely they will know in two to 3 weeks (walking is advised before that the more the better) start with exercises that are not jarring to your abdomen. in the water or biking are two that I like.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about this except that your body needs more calories when it is recovering than it does when it is losing weight.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you - as a diabetic I have to ask - with your history are they allowing you to donate? It's my understanding that diabetics are not eligible to be liver donors.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    You're a special person. As far as recovery and what you can do the most important thing is to let your body recover.

To put things in perspective 2 years ago I had a double hip replacement. My appetite was totally depressed I lost about 20 pounds in a month. Part of the rehab was Physical Therapy twice a day but it was done under supervision with registered physical therapists in a rehab facility. Also as part of that rehab I was given a lot of heavy-duty narcotics under doctor's care to numb the pain so I could rehab.

The main thing is talk to your doctor see what you can do how you can do it and try. Maybe you can do more maybe you'll get tired a lot sooner than he thought. Just listen to your body and I'm saying this in a loving way don't do anything stupid. All you're talking about is maybe losing a month or two versus doing something that can injure you and really knock you out for months. Let your body heal itself listen to it and just maintain your positive attitude good luck
  • jalapenotech
    jalapenotech Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Walking. I've had several surgeries and among the first things your hospital team will want you to do is walk. That is a great exercise after surgery until you are cleared for normal activity. Just make sure you don't walk to far so that you can't get back to your home or car. I did that once. Luckily I had my cell phone and called a friend to pick me up.
  • Deanner03
    Deanner03 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Definitely walking...as you feel up to it. Then work up to more.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm 13 weeks post op from major abdominal surgery (open total proctocolectomy with end ileostomy) and definitely atm I am just walking for exercise. I don't know about liver donation but abdominal surgeries increase your risk of hernias so you'll have weight restrictions.
  • barbarajean3
    barbarajean3 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Make freeze ahead meals. Make sure you have the nutrition easily available your body is going to need. Don't be afraid to rest for the first 2 weeks or so. After staples come out pool Theraphy could be easy exercise but ask your physician first. There are chemicals and germs in public pools. Good luck to both of you.
  • kalchthaleri
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your responses!
  • kalchthaleri
    Options

Best of luck to you - as a diabetic I have to ask - with your history are they allowing you to donate? It's my understanding that diabetics are not eligible to be liver donors.

Here is the coolest thing- since the weight loss I am not diabetic any more (it was Type 2) and my numbers are really good and have been for about 3 years now, so they said that is not an issue. However, in some cases, even a current diabetic can donate! It just depends on what your numbers are. I think that insulin-dependent diabetics might have a bigger issue, not sure about that. But apparently the body is really great about repairing the damage we can do to it!
    Yesterday I had my last test and it was a stress echo. I laughed when they looked at my pics and said "oh, you're an athlete." I'm like "uh I never thought I would hear that! I was 338lbs when I began this journey and I had to pay people to take down our garbage cans!

Today our case is scheduled to go before a board of doctors. I am so nervous! If my liver is big enough to be shared and still leave enough for me and supply Suzanna with what she needs, it is a go!

Prayers and good thoughts, please. Especially for this young mom who needs a liver. If not me, then someone else, and quickly.

Thank you all!

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald recently came out with a new booklet "Optimal Nutrition Injury Recovery" which is only about $10 and worth it, in my opinion. His material is always well researched and presented in a very accessible format. You can find it here: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/store/

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Polo265 wrote: »
    You are so awesome and incredible. The only suggestion I can offer is to avoid becoming depressed during your recovery. You will hurt and it will be difficult to move. As you said, your prior fitness routines will be put on hold. Perhaps you can explain your situation to your health care provider and they can help with calorie limits or exercises. I have had several surgeries, though none as serious as yours. It was a major effort to even make rounds around the coffee table. After one surgery I didn't have the strength to open a can. So it will certainly be an adjustment. Try to focus on the positive of the gift you're giving and avoid becoming discouraged with a setback in your fitness routine. You are awesome. Please post often on your recovery and progress.

Absolutely this! If you're aware ahead of time that there will be difficulties in your recovery then you can be prepared for them. There is a tremendous emotional/psychological aspect to recovery that you don't want to over look.

Bless you for what you're doing. Be well and keep us posted on how you're doing.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I recently had my appendix taken out, not nearly
    as awesome as what you're doing, and for the most part the most strenuous activity I did was walking. The best thing is to be on top of your food.

Honestly, I think because you're conscious of your weight you'll be fine. I actually dropped weight despite being in maintenance just because that's the toll surgery took on my body - I physically couldn't fit more than maybe 1200 calories into my body the first 4 or 5 days. I was hungry I promise you I just couldn't eat. I lost 7lbs total in the 6 weeks since surgery. So you can't really predict what you'll need to be doing until it happens. Take it slow. Keep an eye on things but feel safe in the knowledge that if the worst comes to the worst and you gain a little bit you can lose it.

Do keep us updated on how things go so we can see how you are. I donate blood too so I'd be curious to how this all goes and if it's something to consider in the future.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I, too, applaud your decision to be an organ donor.

Keep in mind that that this is a major surgery. As such, you may wish to discuss your weight management concern with the surgeon, potentially having a dietician meet with you as well. Your immediate post-op priority will be healing and recovery. Weight management will be secondary. This doesn't mean you should ignore your weight, but, rather, if there is a point where the transplant team wants you to increase your caloric intake for healing, you should accept that as your priority.

You've lost 207 pounds. That had to have required goal setting, a management strategy and executing your strategy. You will be more likely to succeed if you use the very same skill set now.

I wish you well.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    @kalchthaleri What happened? Are you approved?