Alcohol...?

Options
Hey everyone,

Is alcohol worth it? For me, the calories from it isn't bad, but the bloating is a problem. It causes so much water weight! I only drink 1 - 2 days out of the week, but if I quit this, would my weightloss accelerate? What have your experiences with this been?

Thanks!
Brittany

Replies

• SouthernCityChic
    SouthernCityChic Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've cut myself down to 1 margarita a month & I'm hoping to see good results from it.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Well it's empty calories, so I probably have one or two drinks a month, IF that. It's just not worth it to me.

IF I have a drink I chose something like a rum and diet coke and just have one. I just don't like the bloated feeling I have after drinking now, and the amount of water I need to drink to flush that makes it easier to skip it.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I quit all alcohol for 3 weeks and it was definitely easier to lose, I didn't have to account for the extra calories. From what I understand alcohol is metabolized like sugar so it's more likely to be stored as fat than burned (something like that), I just remember reading that quitting alcohol is a plus when you're trying to lose fat.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    What are you drinking and how much on those days that you do? I found that beer bloated me a lot, so I drink vodka and sugar free tonic as my drink of choice. No bloating any more.
  • TTops76
    TTops76 Posts: 116
    Options
    Don't think I could ever give it up, not worth even trying. I do stick to vodka and MIO flavored water though or Vodka and soda water. Good luck
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is worth it. I budget for a glass of wine every night. I also go out with friends at least once every two weeks. This is life and I will live it!

But do what you can sustain. If you ban it completely will you still be content, or will you binge at the first given opportunity? For me this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. That means I make healthier choices that i am willing to do for the rest of my life.
  • prettyprpro
    prettyprpro Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I don't drink often, maybe about 2 times a month. I prefer to drink red wine or white wine. I had lost 15lbs while drinking red and white wine. It didn't do anything to me.
  • brittanydaniel79
    Options
    I'm a beer and wine girl...but I think I might need to try this vodka/flavored water thing. When I drink I'll have 4 - 5. But sometimes just 1 or 2. It's really variable.

But I just bought a 12-pack last night! :( As soon as it's gone... I'll *try* not to have any alcohol, but when I want some, I'll have some vodka in stock...
  • JoBFit
    JoBFit Posts: 81
    Options
    I like my red wine on an evening.. I don't I tend to give it up permanently so I have compensate by exercising more. For me it's a win,win- I love exercise and red wine. Cheers!
  • lydiaanne1977
    lydiaanne1977 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I cut it out completely, except on special occasions. So much easier to stay under my daily calorie limit buy cutting out the 100 calorie glass of wine. So I suppose it did help me loose weight faster. But I have to admit I do miss it. It was my way of unwinding after a long day at the office.
  • TTops76
    Options

The heavens part and angels sing. This just made my day!!!! Thank you!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I don't drink anymore. I will for special occasions, but it's just not worth it to me.

Alcohol is 7 calories per gram. That's almost twice as calorie-dense as carbohydrate and protein (4 cals/g). It's pretty much up there with fats (9 cals/g). The worst part is the calories have zero nutrients that your body can use, so any calories consumed from alcohol are DEFINITELY empty calories.

At least with sugary drinks you get some form of energy.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It's quite possible you could lose weight faster if you cut out alcohol. If you're that curious, why not try it for 2-3 weeks. Can't hurt, right?
  • TTops76
    Options
    I'm a beer and wine girl...but I think I might need to try this vodka/flavored water thing. When I drink I'll have 4 - 5. But sometimes just 1 or 2. It's really variable.

But I just bought a 12-pack last night! :( As soon as it's gone... I'll *try* not to have any alcohol, but when I want some, I'll have some vodka in stock...

I have a 30 pack my fiance picked up the other day that's been calling my name all day. What the hell it's Friday. I say enjoy it all, life is way too short.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I would be at my goal weight if I stopped drinking completely. I have quit beer and I try to stick to vodka and diet tonic or wine.
  • Bramsey89
    Bramsey89 Posts: 26
    Options
    Just factor Alcohol into your calorie budget and keep working out even if you have a hangover.

I haven't stopped getting drunk (College student, shhh), and I haven't seen it negatively effect my progress.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I drink wine every night 2- 3 glasses///it is 40 cal per 125mls and I count this into my plan. If you give up everything then you are not going to stick to it..whether it is chocolate, burgers, pizza or ice cream. Surely it has to be a way of life?
  • JoBFit
    JoBFit Posts: 81
    Options
    I drink wine every night 2- 3 glasses///it is 40 cal per 125mls and I count this into my plan. If you give up everything then you are not going to stick to it..whether it is chocolate, burgers, pizza or ice cream. Surely it has to be a way of life?

Indeed!
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I have recently discovered that I do lose quite a bit more when I don't drink.

I'm trying to cut it out.