carbs, party of one.

Options
Have you ever noticed that when you are dieting all you crave is carbs? My mom came home last night with pasta from her date with my dad and it was the only thing in the entire house that I wanted to eat. I was also STARVING. When I ate just a bite, I was totally fine but I was frustrated because that was 100+ calories I didn't have to spare. What do you guys do when carbs attack?

Replies

• CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs all day so I don't feel I need to eat them in excess at any one time.
  • wgrape
    wgrape Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I like reduced fat wheat thins or multigrain chips (by Food Should Taste Good) with salsa. Crunchy, salty and carby BUT healthy in all respects!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I have no solution. I'm a carb addict. That is why I'm on a low carb diet. After the initial few weeks of starting, the body adjusts and no longer craves carbs so much. At least, that's how it is for me. So I never get intense carb cravings. A traditional diet does not work for me. I'm am always hungry, and the more carbs I eat, the more I want. The cravings are far too intense for my willpower to manage. That's why low carb works for me.
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    carbs are a regular part of my "diet" = lifestyle, so i don't particularly crave them more than any other food!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Eat some high protein and/or high fiber foods...they fill you up solidly.
  • traceywaugh
    traceywaugh Posts: 144
    Options
    its sugar i crave never fussed about carbs
  • MMFP68
    MMFP68 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Carbs haven't ever been an enemy of mine. I keep myself going with them! My real problem is just making bad choices a lot of the time, overeating, and not tracking. I'm glad I've got this site to help me with that now. :D
  • leena1
    leena1 Posts: 3
    Options
    The more carbs you eat, they more you crave them. Try weaning off... especially things made from white flour. Go for whole wheat. Try to get in the habit of eating only those heavy duty carbs once or twice a week. It is tough, but you can do it. Opt for fresh fruit and salads and poultry without the adding of white bread to your meals. Nevertheless, sometimes we have cravings and it is ok as long as it is not the norm. Good luck
  • pauterson
    pauterson Posts: 65
    Options
    Once you reduce them out of your diet and focus on only the good, complex carbs - specifically fruit and veggie carbs, you'll crave them less. The cravings are kind've like withdraws.. they go away in time. If I'm having a carb attack, I try to just have a sweet potato or whole wheat pasta or brown rice, about 1/2c.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs all day myself, i just limit the carbs i get from grains, I love veggies :bigsmile:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You let yourself get to the point of being very hungry, which made your body desperate for a fast fix.
    Eat little and often
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Once you reduce them out of your diet and focus on only the good, complex carbs - specifically fruit and veggie carbs, you'll crave them less. The cravings are kind've like withdraws.. they go away in time. If I'm having a carb attack, I try to just have a sweet potato or whole wheat pasta or brown rice, about 1/2c.

Agree with this. :)
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Your body is probably signaling to you that you need to intake more carbs.

Focus on whole grains, veggies, fruits, sweet potatoes, brown rice, beans, etc.

Carbs are important. Don't cut them out.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    There are low carb options though.

Whole wheat pasta. Rye Bread.

I tried, and failed to cut them, and frankly-we need them. We just don't need the superprocessed versions of them.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    its sugar i crave never fussed about carbs

Sugars are carbs.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    carbs are a regular part of my "diet" = lifestyle, so i don't particularly crave them more than any other food!

this *S*
    no way i am giving up rice and pasta for life.
    and oddly since i have been eating a LOT more veg and healthier choices i don't even crave the carbs like i used to. surprised me *S*
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I just eat carbs and plenty of them all day long and even before bed.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of carbs.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    This sounds ridiculous, but when I crave carbs, I eat protein instead.

Usually a piece of chicken breast, or really whatever I have laying around the house.
    Or I'll eat a piece of string cheese, and they both tend to make the cravings go away.

Or you know, you could always keep some 90 calorie granola bars around.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Another thing you could think about, and I try to live by:

earn your carbs.

Do some cardio or strength training to make yourself feel okay about eating those carbs. When you exercise, your body uses carbs for energy, therefore you deserve more. [;