Protein shakes

Options
I'm curious about protein shakes. Is it important to be adding these in while trying to loose weight? Can anyone provide information for me?:huh: :huh:

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes don't really help you lose weight. They are means to give you the protein you need based on your macros that you can't otherwise get from whole foods. Eating at a caloric deficit under your maintenance helps you lose weight.
  • svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options
    Bump. I am curious about this too.

I bought some because I heard it was filling and a fast easy way to get some protein without a ton of calories. I don't think that the protein shakes will make me lose weight...but I think if I use them properly they could help.

So can I add on to her question? What is the proper way to incorporate protein shakes into your diet? Meal replacements? With meals? After exercise? Before exercise?
  • HappEHealthE
    Options
    I love the Body by Vi shakes. Down 30 pounds since end of May! They are yummy and filling!
  • Cindio
    Cindio Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Protein is really good if you have it within an hour of working out. It helps build muscel and helps repair muscel faster. I would definetly work it into your diet.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    So can I add on to her question? What is the proper way to incorporate protein shakes into your diet? Meal replacements? With meals? After exercise? Before exercise?

Just incorporate protein shakes into your daily diet depending on your goals. You can use them as meal replacements if you like, or adding to a particular meal. Either way is fine as long as your hit your macro's everyday and stay within your daily calorie limits.

It doesn't matter when you consume your protein shakes. Whenever you feel hungry, etc.
  • Cindio
    Cindio Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I agree Body by Vi is really good and filling!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Bump. I am curious about this too.

I bought some because I heard it was filling and a fast easy way to get some protein without a ton of calories. I don't think that the protein shakes will make me lose weight...but I think if I use them properly they could help.

Unless you count a snack as a meal, then DON'T substitute a protein shake for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You're better off eating a "real" meal. Before and after exercise is a good time to use them though.
  • bell33usx2
    bell33usx2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would prefer to get my protein from food. I like food!:bigsmile: Just wondering what the benefits may be. Maybe I'm not far enough along my journey to be concerned with this particular topic yet.
  • kaitlynnm10
    kaitlynnm10 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the posters above that say food is the best way to get in protein. I have friends and a roommate that are big into protein powder smoothies, green monsters, etc. but none are trying to lose weight and most lift heavy. I've tried a few and in my opinion, food is more filling and tastes a lot better.
  • tsolomon75
    tsolomon75 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    May I add on and ask...
    What is a good protein shake that tastes pretty good?
    I've tried Shakeology Chocolate & thought I'd throw up...
    Slim Fast isn't even good to me...
  • joejccva71
    Options
    May I add on and ask...

If price isn't a facxtor, Magnum Quattro Chocolate Love.

If price is more of a factor, then eithre BSN Syntha-6 or Optimum Gold 100% Whey.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say shakes are a way to loose weight- my shakes usually end up having more calories than a regular meal! (protein powder, banana, milk, peanut butter= 400+ calories!)

But they are good to help rebuild your muscles.

And they can be filling for some people, though to me food is way more filling than a glass of shake.
  • missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I get them from where I work, I use them after a work out because Doc says it helps what you have just put your muscles through and builds them up faster... muscle mass burns cals faster therefore ya lose weight... I prefer the protein bars over the shakes though because like you I LOVE food and with them I feel like I am eating a no no food because most of them taste like candy bars... my particular favorite is Rocky Road and BONUS I get them half price because I am an employee LOL!
  • rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144
    Options
    May I add on and ask...

I personally add unflavored protein powder to a berry smoothie. It does have a slight flavor but it still tasty.

1 cup frozen mixed berries (no sugar added!)
    1/2 to1 cup Rice Dream (depends on how thick you want it, be sure to check calories though)
    1/4 cup Fage 0% Greek Yogurt
    1 scoop protein powder (I use procel which is soy/whey)
    1 tsp psyllium husk powder

The psyllium is good fiber but can be left out and you can add more or less protein powder.

I personally found flavored or sweetened protein powder to be gag worthy, but that recipe above is very tasty, its my go to after exercise shake.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Ok....when trying to lower calories it is almost impossible to get in all the protein you need by way of regular food, even lean fish and chicken. Protein builds lean muscle, helps to burn fat and keep you fuller longer.

So yes, protein powder, shakes and bars are a great tool to help you get in the protein you need to lose weight. The combination of lower calories, increased water, protein and fiber along with a good exercise routine are the keys to losing weight and a healthier lifestyle. You also need to limit the fat, simple carbs and sodium.

Once you get to goal, you start to increase the calories until you stop losing and since you can eat more you may no longer need a protein supplement.

Protein Shakes/Powder=less than 200 calories and 25 grams or more of protein. Protein bars= around 200 calories and 17grams or more of protein. Bars also have more fat, carbs and sugars than the shakes and powders do.

I aim for 80-110 grams of protein per day and do a Chocolate Premier Protein Shake every moring. Once in a while I have two a day - 160 Calories, 30 grams of protein (whey is recommended) tastes great but you could make a smoothie out of it if you wanted.

Best of Luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options

If price is more of a factor, then eithre BSN Syntha-6 or Optimum Gold 100% Whey.
    It's high in calories but have you tried ON's Nitrocore 24...........it's good and I only use water. Of course I grew up in bodybuilding in the 80's so most stuff today taste great compared to the "chalk" I choked down back then.
  • joejccva71
    Options

It's high in calories but have you tried ON's Nitrocore 24...........it's good and I only use water. Of course I grew up in bodybuilding in the 80's so most stuff today taste great compared to the "chalk" I choked down back then.

Haven't tried that one yet. The only protein I didn't like was MyoFusion but I think I got a bad batch when I ordered. Everytime I drank it I got horrible stomach aches...had to return it.
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    My trainer says it is good to repair muscles. If it helps with anything I would think it would help feed your muscles so you *might* lose inches. I use them because I have a lot of problem getting enough Protein. I really like my Whey Protein. GNC Amplified it is ok with water and AWESOME with milk.
  • Jdine
    Jdine Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Its a good way to supplement your protein intake when reducing your calories so you dont lose muscle.. General rule of thumb is 1-1.5 grams of protein per kilo of bodyweight
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes don't really help you lose weight. They are means to give you the protein you need based on your macros that you can't otherwise get from whole foods. Eating at a caloric deficit under your maintenance helps you lose weight.

Perfect answer.