HELP

Options
I desperately want to lose weight and get fit but I need help! I'm not a vegetable eater unless it's in with loads of cheese. I really do want to get fit and toned but being healthy is expensive.

Replies

• LonniJay
    LonniJay Posts: 3,740 Member
    Options
    Plug in your info to mfp and choose your goals and just stick to your calorie goal. You will lose weight and you don't have to eat anything different, just less of it. I started in March and am down 34 lbs. I eat sweets everyday and some days I forget to eat my veggies. I'm still losing weight.

Good luck!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No, weight loss comes from eating less, not what you eat, and eating less costs less money.
  • MeemawCanDoIt
    MeemawCanDoIt Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    As long as your calories in is less than calories burned, you can really eat anything you want. Veggies aren't necessary for weight loss.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    It's not expensive, eat whatever food you like but make sure to stay under your calorie goal. Do whatever you have to to get started doesnt' matter if you want to eat a burger for breakfast and pizza for lunch, it's not super nutritious but if you eat under your calories you will lose weight, and you can always start at a higher calorie budget as long as you burn more than you eat you will continue to lose it will just be faster or slower depending on your calorie deficit. Also any exercise you get will give you that many more calories to eat a day.
  • GinaDanielle98
    GinaDanielle98 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you're really dedicated and motivated being healthy doesn't have to be expensive! As has been said, you don't necessarily need to eat 'healthier' food, just watch your calorie intake. But if you wanna be a veggie eater there's plenty of ways to not make it expensive.
    You can do it! Make small changes, e.g still have your cheesy veg but less of it. It gets easier :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I desperately want to lose weight and get fit but I need help! I'm not a vegetable eater unless it's in with loads of cheese. I really do want to get fit and toned but being healthy is expensive.

Nothing wrong with vegetables with cheese... as long as you're eating in a deficit.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    As long as your calories in is less than calories burned, you can really eat anything you want. Veggies aren't necessary for weight loss.

OP said they wanted to fit and toned and mentioned eating healthy. It's hard to do that without vegetables.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Eating less than you currently eat will save you money.
    Any other excuses we can help you throw away?
    Every day and every meal we make choices, chose to be "fit and toned" or chose to stay as you are.

Maybe that's harsh but I used a really dumb excuse which kept me fat for 20 years. Don't make the same mistake.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    OP you've got to want to do it.
    You can make all the excuses in the world to not do something, but if you want to do it start right now.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the kind of healthy you want to be. If you want a Kardashian fitness you need a club membership, exotic diets, a good plastic surgeon and a fitness trainer on call.

If you want an ordinary fitness all you need to do is tweak your diet, measure what you are eating, and a good pair of running shoes.

There's nothing wrong with veggies and cheese. Well, maybe shred that cheese a little finer. And weigh it, log it. Knowledge is power.

Consider that peas are both in the Organic section and in the freezer. Which is more economical? There are peanuts in the Bulk section and individually packaged in the Trader Joe's cart.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I don't really get that "eating healthy is expensive" thing. I've seen it in other threads too.
    Not sure if it's an US vs. Europe thing, but after i decided to loose some weight i have found that i save a ton of money by eating normal things in normal quantities and not wasting a lot on junk. My food expenses now are at least half of that they used to be, and perhaps even less. And that takes into account that i don't roam grocery stores looking for deals and discounts, i just but what i need from where it is most convenient. Money left over is enough to pay for gym membership plus some smaller size clothes.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone say eating healthy is expensive?!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Meelisv wrote: »
    I don't really get that "eating healthy is expensive" thing. I've seen it in other threads too.
    Not sure if it's an US vs. Europe thing, but after i decided to loose some weight i have found that i save a ton of money by eating normal things in normal quantities and not wasting a lot on junk. My food expenses now are at least half of that they used to be, and perhaps even less. And that takes into account that i don't roam grocery stores looking for deals and discounts, i just but what i need from where it is most convenient. Money left over is enough to pay for gym membership plus some smaller size clothes.

I think it more that people often think they have to only fresh produce whether or not it is in season, or that they have to buy other expensive "healthy" foods in order to have a healthy diet.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Yea, probably.
    I don't think i have ever bought anything that is specifically advertised as "healthy" or "organic".
    Though since it is currently a season, i love to buy lot of fresh veggies and mix up a salad of some sort. Still i'm fully aware that despite it being vegetable season and prices being low enough, most of it still comes from other end of Europe and are probably full of chemicals, since it's cheaper that way. Doesn't bother me though.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I've cut spending costs not buying junk food.. Healthy is not expensive. If you aren't a veggie water try a high fat diet. Keto is high fat moderate protein low carb. Good news.. cheese is keto.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me.

Here's a couple of things.

1. You really do need to eat veggies.
    2. There's no toning - that's a combination of losing fat and gaining muscle.
    3. The best workouts don't work if your nutrition isn't good.

Tastes change. When I first started weightlifting, I needed to up my protien so I supplemented with protien shakes. Yuk!!! At first, over time I now enjoy them. It's cyclical: the healthier you eat, the better you feel and the better your workouts become. The better you workout, the more you crave healthy foods (it's your body needing more nutrients so you end up craving foods that have said nutrients).
  • tlanger251
    tlanger251 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You can train your tastebuds to love vegetables. Look at recipes and try cooking them different ways. Or you could sneak vegetables into your food like I used to do to my kids.. grind up a ton of spinach and put it in your spaghetti sauce,, stuff like that.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Have a little bit less cheese?

Personally, I love most steamed veggies with red wine vinegar. That's how I had it growing up, and nothing else will do.