Burning Sensation in ankle/lower shin when running

Options
cfredz
cfredz Posts: 292 Member
I am a super beginner runner, i used to a run a few years ago, but always in intervals.
I am trying to incorporate a few miles into my routines.
I am a pretty active person, i take spin classes, kickboxing and i do HIIT / weight training. I would say i work out at least 5x a week.
I have no issues with pain in my ankle / shin if i am doing jumping jacks, burpees, any other type of high intensity cardio, but when i try to run, i get a burning sensation in my lower shin/ankle area. it starts to hurt usually after 2 minutes of steady running and then i have to stop and walk. i can't push through it.
i have good running shoes (Brooks)
Any one have a similar issue? It doesn't feel like shin splints, but I am not sure.
What type of doctor should i go to to get this checked out?

Replies

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Are these shoes that were recommended to you by someone who did a gait analysis on you? When I first started running I had shin pain and had Brooks shoes I bought on clearance at Kohls- ended up needed a stability shoes to address my overpronation and the pain essentially vanished overnight, thanks to appropriate shoes. Good brands don't always mean good for an individual.
  • cfredz
    Options
    Are these shoes that were recommended to you by someone who did a gait analysis on you? When I first started running I had shin pain and had Brooks shoes I bought on clearance at Kohls- ended up needed a stability shoes to address my overpronation and the pain essentially vanished overnight, thanks to appropriate shoes. Good brands don't always mean good for an individual.

yes, i went to a running shoe store and they video taped me on a treadmill and recommended my shoes for me. i love them. i wear them for other exercised besides running (cardio only) because of how comfortable they are. Its not the shoes, its me! haha
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    cfredz wrote: »
    i wear them for other exercised besides running (cardio only) because of how comfortable they are.

How long have you had them?

There are several potential causes of shin splints, which it might be, but similar principles apply to most lower leg problems.

Shoe fit, wear and appropriateness
    Trying to run too quickly
    Over-reaching with your leading leg
    Muscular imbalance between the calf and the shin
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

yes, i went to a running shoe store and they video taped me on a treadmill and recommended my shoes for me. i love them. i wear them for other exercised besides running (cardio only) because of how comfortable they are. Its not the shoes, its me! haha

I try not to use my running shoes for anything besides running because I am a heavier runner, and I already have to replace them faster than the average person (more like 6-8 months vs a year or so) but that also depends on your mileage. They also are not ideal for other exercises I do (like lifting).

i wear them for other exercised besides running (cardio only) because of how comfortable they are.

There are several potential causes of shin splints, which it might be, but similar principles apply to most lower leg problems.

These are all good points too. Extra leg strength exercises (squats, lunges) and stretching (esp hamstrings if you are sedentary) may help with overall strength/flexibility. Running too fast/too far too quickly is also not a great idea, are you doing a run/walk interval program that slowly builds mileage? Can you talk while you run or are you out of breath and unable to talk? If you can't, you need to slow it down. Especially if you are used to higher intensity cardio and a fast pace, you need to slow down more than you may realize as you build endurance.

If the pain is severe and you feel like you have these other parts covered, I am going to recommend consulting a physician/physical therapist to see what's going on. But honestly, if I couldn't run due to severe pain, I would stop running and go to the doctor sooner rather than later.

Good luck!
  • cfredz
    Options

maybe a year and a half?
    again, its not the shoes. i think it could have to do with point 2 or 4
    any idea what kind of doctor i could reach out to?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

I'd see a sports doctor or orthopedist. A general doctor will likely just tell you to rest it, without giving a solid diagnosis.

Does it hurt on the inner half or outer half of your legs?
  • cfredz
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

I'd see a sports doctor or orthopedist. A general doctor will likely just tell you to rest it, without giving a solid diagnosis.

Does it hurt on the inner half or outer half of your legs?

It is the outer half - front of my leg and ankle
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited August 2017
    Options

maybe a year and a half?

You almost certainly need new shoes. Personally I'll get 600 miles out of my road shoes, but I don't use them for anything except running.
    again, its not the shoes.

They're probably part of the problem. As mine start to age I can really feel it. By about 450 miles I limit their use to no more than 10 miles per run, before that they're very usable for longer sessions of up to 30 miles.
    i think it could have to do with point 2 or 4

I wouldn't go to a doctor, I'd go to a physio, or a running coach.

I'd be interested in your confidence that it's not over-reach
  • cfredz
    Options

maybe a year and a half?

You almost certainly need new shoes. Personally I'll get 600 miles out of my road shoes, but I don't use them for anything except running.
    again, its not the shoes.

They're probably part of the problem. As mine start to age I can really feel it. By about 450 miles I limit their use to no more than 10 miles per run, before that they're very usable for longer sessions of up to 30 miles.
    i think it could have to do with point 2 or 4

I wouldn't go to a doctor, I'd go to a physio, or a running coach.

I'd be interested in your confidence that it's not over-reach

The shoes are 1.5 years old, but i have only worn them to run less than 10 times i would say. There really isnt any wear and tear.
    My previous running shoes were Nikes, and I had the same pain.

Ill see if there is a running coach in my area, thank you!
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

The shoes are 1.5 years old, but i have only worn them to run less than 10 times i would say.

You say you wear them for other training, and you describe that training as circuits.

The structure of the shoe will be broken down. It's not about the visible wear, is the degradation of the internal build.
  • cfredz
    Options

The shoes are 1.5 years old, but i have only worn them to run less than 10 times i would say.

You say you wear them for other training, and you describe that training as circuits.

The structure of the shoe will be broken down. It's not about the visible wear, is the degradation of the internal build.

yes, i do use for some other cardio, only as of a few months ago as i couldnt find another shoe i liked specifically for cardio (like kickboxing)
    Still on a search for that as well.
  • Dr_Fishbowl
    Dr_Fishbowl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I drink half a water bottle and roll it over my shins, see if that helps, other then that it's all about the Rice.