BMI

Options
I calculated my BMI today and it tells me that I'm in the over weight category. I don't disagree with this, as I weigh 184 lbs and I need to be at 165 lbs. However, my question is, how accurate do you guys find the BMI calculator, especially if you do a lot of strength training, like me. The reason I ask is because even at 165 lbs, which is my ideal weight, I'm just at the line between healthy and over weight. I know if I go below 165 lbs, I get so skinny that you can see it in my face. To be right in the middle of the healthy part of the chart, I would have to weigh about 142 lbs... which is completely out of the question, as I would practically disappear. I haven't weighed under 155 since I was like 8 years old. The lowest I've ever been in my adult life was 156 and I had about 5% body fat then. I also notice that it doesn't ask whether you are male of female. Shouldn't that be important? Anyway, I just wanted to know about other people's experiences with the BMI calculator.

Replies

• BubiBBubillion
    Options
    I calculated my BMI today and it tells me that I'm in the over weight category. I don't disagree with this, as I weigh 184 lbs and I need to be at 165 lbs. However, my question is, how accurate do you guys find the BMI calculator, especially if you do a lot of strength training, like me. The reason I ask is because even at 165 lbs, which is my ideal weight, I'm just at the line between healthy and over weight. I know if I go below 165 lbs, I get so skinny that you can see it in my face. To be right in the middle of the healthy part of the chart, I would have to weigh about 142 lbs... which is completely out of the question, as I would practically disappear. I haven't weighed under 155 since I was like 8 years old. The lowest I've ever been in my adult life was 156 and I had about 5% body fat then. I also notice that it doesn't ask whether you are male of female. Shouldn't that be important? Anyway, I just wanted to know about other people's experiences with the BMI calculator.
  • MattySparky
    Options
    honestly the bmi calculator on here sucks !! I cant remember, but it either doesn't take your age or your height into consideration. And it doesn't know how much of your weight is fat either.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I found this site uses your pant size along with other stats to give a more accurate BMI. Anything you find on the internet is going to be a general number. Unless you pay to go to a professional who uses calipers or floats you in water, your true BMI is just a tool to help you obtain a goal

http://www.webmd.com/diet/calc-bmi-plus
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I checked the log in of MFP. When you first set up an acct the 1st 3 questions were
    height
    weight
    2nd part of sign up asks

So this is part of the information used in the background to determine BMI as you go along and change you weight in the system.
  • saskia
    saskia Posts: 31
    Options
    I don't think there are several ways to calculate your BMI, it is fixed formula considering weight and length, nothing else. And the ranges factor in that some peeps will have more muscle and others more fat.

It's probably one of these things that reflects the right state for 80% of the people, and for some bodies it just means nothing. You will know which category you fall in.
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    If you have any muscle at all, most of the online calculators are way off. I am 6' 2" 190 and according to the online formulas I am fat. I have used skin calipers and calculated my body fat to be around 15%. I highly recommend the skin calipers for a more accurate picture of your body lean muscle mass. The more muscle you have, the less accurate these online calculators will be.
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    I read the other day that for muscular and large frame men that your Waist to height ratio is another way to make sure that you are in line whit your BMI. The example was given that if a man if 6ft tall then his waist should be 36" or less.

Not sure if this is a valid point but it was on a total weight loss plan survey at WebMD
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    On here, the BMI calculator says my hubby's healthy weight would be between 132.7 and a179.3 pounds and overweight would be between 179.3 and 215.1 pounds. (He's 5'11".) When he got out of navy bootcamp when he was 18/19, he was 209. Now his goal is 225 (which I think is realistic). If he got down to the recommended weight, people would ask if he was sick.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    BMI is a flawed calculation. It doesn't work for very muscular people. I wouldn't really use it as anything more than one of many tools. A much more accurate tool for muscular people is the Body Fat %

Unfortunately, to calculate BF accurately you (at a minimum) need an experienced professional with calipers (or you can try it yourself, calipers aren't that expensive, but it's a tricky concept, it takes lots of practice to get it right). Really hydrostatic or DEXA are the two most accurate with DEXA being best. Course they are uncommon and DEXA is pretty expensive.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that the BMI was developed for the life insurance industry to determine premiums for "at risk" customers. Somehow it made its way into the fitness community, where it is generally not understood.

If the BMI is such a great tool, wouldn't all pro football players be considered obese? Because it does not consider muscle in the equation. An athlete can have 5% body fat and be obese by BMI standards!
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I will have to agree with the MBI not being very accurate for muscular people. when i met my husband he was 180 ish and was in great shape, he is just over 200 now(that's all my good cooking!! LOL) and yes he knows he needs to loose some weight but the BMI calculator says he should be about 145 which if he was that weight he would look horrible and like someone else said, people would think he is sick, so i readlly do think it is just sorts guideline and not for everyone to go by. It all depends on the person.