How do you overcome temptations?

Options
Hi all, I've been on and off of here for a while now...I'll do great and lose a good amount of weight and then I slowly slip back into my old habits and suddenly I've gained back 10 of the 30 pounds I've worked so hard to lose. I'm determined not to gain it back this time and keep on the path of losing weight! I struggle with temptation terribly--my office at work is right outside the kitchen so I'm constantly exposed to snacks that are brought in, anytime anyone is eating, etc. (I have to go through the kitchen to leave my office, there's no way around it.) Unfortunately once I've given in to the temptation it's hard to just let it be at that rather than logging my slip and moving on. How do you overcome these temptations?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Don't let yourself get too hungry. If you are hungry you are more likely to give in. Same with being thirsty, make sure you are well hydrated. But mostly you just have to want to stick with the program. Just ask yourself which will make you happier in the long run.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    You have to decide what's more important - your goals or the temptation.

My office is notoriously know for donuts, left over food from meetings, etc. You just have to make a plan and stick with it and if it it's not in your plan, say no.
  • rebeccachobat
    rebeccachobat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you can't resist temptation, then allow yourself to have a treat. just make sure you log it for the day. I try to leave extra calories for things that come up if I can.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I find that when I'm really tempted by a food, taking a few moments out to imagine every painstaking detail of the eating experience - taste, texture, everything - can make me realise I don't want it that much after all.

Alternatively, concentrate on how amazing you'll feel after you successfully resist all those temptations :)
  • Jeffagner2
    Jeffagner2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree with Need2Exerc1se. Preemptive eating. Also, it can help to think "I'm not saying I can't eat it, I'm just saying I'm not going to eat it right now." That works for me - keep stalling until the urge passes (or the doughnut box is empty). Another thing to do is talk to everyone and ask for their help. Most people don't want to sabotage your success and may not realize how their actions affect you.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    when the temptation hits you, you have to stop and not run after it, You have to talk to yourself to distract you, remind yourself all your hard work to lose the weight. talk yourself out of it, and the temptation will go away. you can keep some healthy foods like a handful of nuts at your desk for when those cravings hit. (meaning that the nuts will be better for you than the temptation. This is important not for calories-wise, but for overcoming your need to run to the temptation and give in to it. it is changing a habit. when you conquer this, and are able to withstand, then it will become a victory.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I would imagine that most of us have to deal with temptations. I know i do, and it's difficult. You ccan remind yourself that it's not your food, you don't have to eat it just because it's there, that you can have a treat later, at the end of the day ( but try not to lie, allow small treat that you can fit in ;) ). Try to have a box if altoids at hand, i like them because they keep my mouth busy for a few moments , and i love the taste, and there's 3 calories in each. So even if you eat a few throughout afternoon, it won't hurt you in any way. Stay strong, remember your goal. And if you end up having whatever is tempting you, log it and maybe opt for a lighter dinner.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I've got one of those "sitting in front of a computer all day" jobs where it's really easy to mindlessly overeat. I counter this by bringing my own food from home and eating it really slow. So I have a light snack at 9, start eating lunch at 11:30, usually finish lunch around 1 or 1:30, then have another light stack around 3. Suffice it to say that I do not generally eat a hot lunch. :smiley: I also usually get an iced tea in the afternoon, as I find drinking that to be sufficiently distracting.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I've got one of those "sitting in front of a computer all day" jobs where it's really easy to mindlessly overeat. I counter this by bringing my own food from home and eating it really slow. So I have a light snack at 9, start eating lunch at 11:30, usually finish lunch around 1 or 1:30, then have another light stack around 3. Suffice it to say that I do not generally eat a hot lunch. :smiley: I also usually get an iced tea in the afternoon, as I find drinking that to be sufficiently distracting.

I find tea and coffee distracting as well
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    When I found myself slipping into old habits, it was often something I recognized on the day it happened and addressed with corrective action right away. Most of the time, that meant that I'd log it, drink water, get some sleep, wake up, and start over with my reasonable breakfast the next day. Most recently is happened early on a Saturday and I was able to stop, log, and start exercising enough to burn off every bit of the excess calories from that binge.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    You said it yourself, OP. It's about changing habits. That takes time and practice, but it is really effective once you manage it long term.

I'm not the first to say it, but I agree whole heartedly: willpower is overrated. Prevention is more effective. For me, that means:
    -keeping food I have a hard time moderating out of my house
    -not getting too hungry, especially before a party or dinner out or known temptation
    (love that expression "preemptive eating!" Jeffagner2. So true!)
    -planning foods I genuinely like and look forward to

About your office location, it would help to develop a habit of not thinking about any food someone brings in. Or ask if you could move offices? My office is at home, and kid snacks in the pantry were an ever-present temptation for me until I physically moved my snacks to a different cabinet and repeatedly told myself that their stuff was not for me. It also helped when I could honestly tell myself my snacks taste a lot better (e.g. high quality chocolate vs. goldfish & pretzels). Willpower does get stronger the more you exercise it, but like a muscle, you can also over-tax it.

Good luck OP and congrats on your success to date.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I focus on the fact that I like having a nice, balanced food diary. I might have the occasional binge, but generally, I save temptations until Saturday, other than the odd cookie, piece of chocolate or my bedtime breakfast biscuits (part of my routine now). Even being the lower end of the BMI, I like to ensure that a large proportion of my food is healthy and natural and knowing I have the capacity to lose control keeps me in check. If I do feel tempted into having a piece of cake, for example, during the week, I will just ensure I have it before or after my workout. It never caused me any issues doing that, especially mid bike ride. Everyone has to find their own methods, I think as everyone has a different level of willpower and different things to motivate them.
  • KaroshiQueen
    KaroshiQueen Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of obsessive about logging food and I treat my food diary like a temple. Do I want to see that garbage food logged in there? No I don't. Knowing I will have to log it in my diary generally keeps me from eating anything I know I shouldn't be eating. Yes, this takes willpower but holding myself accountable works for me.
  • falcoeasts
    falcoeasts Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Stick a picture to either side of your office door so you'll see them as you walk out to snack. One the body you have and the other the body you want.
    I did the same in my pantry. That and a picture of Scary Terry (Crews)
  • Amylee1005
    Amylee1005 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have such a hard time stopping once i start. So i try to not have anything i am actually craving on the first place. I usually instead make a huge cup of tea in my 500ml mug and accompany that with wholegrain crackers and vegemite or peanut butter or a piece of fruit.
    If i gave in to that one donut chances are i wont stop at one, then I'll crave more crap and pretty much eat everything bad i can find. And then thats my day gone. I always have sweet treats and junk available for my kids and husband but when i cook i freeze them so i cant eat them! By the time i pack them in my kids lunch boxes they are defrosted for thefollowing dayd lunch.
    I am trying to maintain the 10kgs i have lost over the past 6 months.
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Started doing IF...so I can reasonably eat what I want within those hours, and after I feel no temptation. ...granted it's only been a few days, but so far so good
  • denisej1215
    denisej1215 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the input--sometimes it just helps to hear others say it!